What makes my Chris Craft a premium brand?

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What makes my Chris Craft a premium brand?

Chris Craft is not alone in fluxuations in quality due to ownership change. My second boat was a 1984 Sea Ray Monaco 207. Truly a tank. Incredible storage everywhere. I had the XL version which was one of their first with the full aft sundeck versus jump seats beside the engine cowl. I finally traded it because I was tired of going 45mph at full throttle (350 merc). It handle great, was smooth as silk, but the weight and deep bow really slowed it down. After Sea Ray was purchased by Brunswick, they eliminated this model and their Seville line became their standard run about. At this time they also changed their model designation so that their length included the swim platform (my 207 became a 240). Another issue with mid 80's boats was the emergence of Volatile Controls enacted by the EPA and the very high demand for boats which caused ALL manufacuturers to switch gel coat and fiberglass resins. I believe this led to the blister problems that were non existent in the 70' to early 80's. Increased production demands led to faster setting resins which had much poorer gel coat to base bonds. Increased demand also reduced custom storage areas and led to the use of generic hardware (virtually all boats started to have identical hardware). I think this trend started to reverse itself in the late 90's, although the sea rays i looked at two years ago were still no match for the late 70's models.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I agree a Cobalt is a fine boat.
Maybe my 81 was actually built in 1980 before the change.
Anyway its still has all the original seats and hardware that is in great shape.
Its still a fiberglass boat so who knows how many more years it will last.
Actually my last boat that was a Starcraft was pretty well made as far as the hull goes.
I think it depends on how it was cared for as with any boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think it depends on how it was cared for as with any boat. there never was a bad boat, just bad owners.

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love my Christ Craft. I just have their 1995 entry model (Concept 18) with a Volvo Penta 4.3GS Engine with SX drive. I put 100 hours on it this summer and never had a single issue outside of replacing an electrical ground (Thanks to forum member Gary for helping me out). I did everything from tubing and wakeboarding to WOT speed runs to all day cruising and anchoring. The boat looks brand new still and i mean brand new. My only fear is that i have it wetslippe din my neighborhood and while it is under a cover we all know in pouring rains etc water gets in and the floor is carpeting and looking under the ski locker you can see the stringers and deck are wood. So far everything is solid as a rock, i think the coat the top of the wood with resin, i am not sure if that will hold up over the years but i doubt i will have it forever anyway.

It is as good of a used boat purchase as i think i could have possible made, it gets compliments all the time and IMO copared to most other manufacturers 18-19 ft 1007-1008 models it still has a better design interior and exterior and you would never know it is more than a year or two old

I am a chris craft fan. My next boat will probably be a late 90's early 00's 22-24ft. I will go over it well before purchase but i have a lot of faith in the brand and the quality that was put into them

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think it depends on how it was cared for as with any boat. there never was a bad boat, just bad owners.

Agree with TD. I have a 85 CC scorpion 230ltd. No problems at all and its original with the exception it has a bigger motor now. The hull is solid, the gel coat shines rite up. I just love it. It has an aluminum gas cell so no rot. Still has original interior in great condition. The Previous owner took care of it.

gleavens

Seaman

I've just recently torn my Chris Craft scorpion 169 down to the hull, not that I have anything to compare it to, but, Yikes! Rotten floors, rotten stringers, seats deteriorated to the point of no return, side panels rotted, like it was earlier stated, this boat was neglected by a bad owner. I'm encouraged by the opinions of the members here however, concering the quality of C/C boats, at least I'll be rebuilding a quality piece of work! Wish me luck

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Good luck on the rebuild! Mine had a rotted transom when i bought it.
I'm the second owner.The previous owner left it in the water for over 2 years and the transom splash well drains were bad and caused the transom to rot.
So i have to blame the other guy and not the boat builder.At least my floor is all fiberglass and is still in great shape.No carpet to worry about either.