What losing this war will mean

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Once again I can not take credit for this bit of wisdom but I would like to pass it along to all my Iboat buddies........taken from another site I go to. ;) <br /><br /><br />This War Is For Real <br /><br />MG Vernon Chong, USAF ret forwarded:<br />This WAR is for REAL<br /><br />To get out of a difficulty, one usually must go through it. Our country is now facing the most serious threat to its existence, as we know it, that we have faced in your lifetime and mine (which includes WWII). The deadly seriousness is greatly compounded by the fact that there are very few of us who think we can possibly lose this war and even fewer who realize what losing really means. <br /><br />First, let's examine a few basics: <br /><br />1. When did the threat to us start?<br /><br />Many will say September 11th, 2001. The answer as far as the United States is concerned is 1979, 22 years prior to September 2001, with the following attacks on us: <br /><br />• Iran Embassy Hostages, 1979;<br />• Beirut, Lebanon Embassy 1983;<br />• Beirut, Lebanon Marine Barracks 1983;<br />• Lockerbie, Scotland Pan-Am flight to New York 1988;<br />• First New York World Trade Center attack 1993;<br />• Dhahran, Saudi Arabia Khobar Towers Military complex 1996;<br />• Nairobi, Kenya US Embassy 1998;<br />• Dares Salaam, Tanzania US Embassy 1998;<br />• Aden, Yemen USS Cole 2000;<br />• New York World Trade Center 2001;<br />• Pentagon 2001.<br /><br />(Note that during the period from 1981 to 2001 there were 7,581 terrorist attacks worldwide). <br /><br />2. Why were we attacked?<br /><br />Envy of our position, our success, and our freedoms. The attacks happened during the administrations of Presidents Carter, Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton and Bush 2. We cannot fault either the Republicans or Democrats as there were no provocations by any of the presidents or their immediate predecessors, Presidents Ford or Carter. <br /><br />3. Who were the attackers?<br /><br />In each case, the attacks on the US were carried out by Muslims. <br /><br />4. What is the Muslim population of the World? 25%.<br /><br />5. Isn't the Muslim Religion peaceful?<br /><br />Hopefully, but that is really not material. There is no doubt that the predominately Christian population of Germany was peaceful, but under the dictatorial leadership of Hitler (who was also Christian), that made no difference. You either went along with the administration or you were eliminated. There were 5 to 6 million Christians killed by the Nazis for political reasons (including 7,000 Polish priests). (see www.Nazis.testimony.co.uk/7-a.htm). <br /><br />Thus, almost the same number of Christians were killed by the Nazis, as the six million holocaust Jews who were killed by them, and we seldom heard of anything other than the Jewish atrocities. Although Hitler kept the world focused on the<br />Jews, he had no hesitancy about killing anyone who got in his way of exterminating the Jews or of taking over the world - German, Christian or any others. Same with the Muslim terrorists. They focus the world on the US, but kill all in the way -- their own people or the Spanish, French or anyone else. The point here is that just like the peaceful Germans were of no protection to anyone from the Nazis, no matter how many peaceful Muslims there may be, they are no<br />protection for us from the terrorist Muslim leaders and what they are fanatically bent on doing -- by their own pronouncements -- killing all of us "infidels." I don't blame the peaceful Muslims. What would you do if the choice was shut up or die? <br /><br />6. So who are we at war with?<br /><br />There is no way we can honestly respond that it is anyone other than the Muslim terrorists. Trying to be politically correct and avoid verbalizing this conclusion can well be fatal. There is no way to win if you don't clearly recognize and articulate who you are fighting. <br /><br />So with that background, now to the two major questions: <br /><br />1. Can we lose this war? <br /><br />2. What does losing really mean? <br /><br />If we are to win, we must clearly answer these two pivotal questions. We can definitely lose this war, and as anomalous as it may sound, the major reason we can lose is that so many of us simply do not fathom the answer to the second question - What does losing mean? <br /><br />It would appear that a great many of us think that losing the war means hanging our heads, bringing the troops home and going on about our business, like post Vietnam. This is as far from the truth as one can get. What losing really means is: <br /><br />We would no longer be the premier country in the world. The attacks will not subside, but rather will steadily increase. Remember, they want us dead, not just quiet. If they had just wanted us quiet, they would not have produced an <br />increasing series of attacks against us, over the past 18 years. The plan was clearly, for terrorists to attack us, until we were neutered and submissive to them. <br /><br />We would of course have no future support from other nations, for fear of reprisals and for the reason that they would see, we are impotent and cannot help them. <br /><br />They will pick off the other non-Muslim nations, one at a time. It will be increasingly easier for them. They already hold Spain hostage. It doesn't matter whether it was right or wrong for Spain to withdraw its troops from Iraq. Spain did it because the Muslim terrorists bombed their train and told them to<br />withdraw the troops. Anything else they want Spain to do will be done. Spain is finished. <br /><br />The next will probably be France. Our one hope on France is that they might see the light and realize that if we don't win, they are finished too, in that they can't resist the Muslim terrorists without us. However, it may already be too late for France. France is already 20% Muslim and fading fast! <br /><br />If we lose the war, our production, income, exports and way of life will all vanish as we know it. After losing, who would trade or deal with us, if they were threatened by the Muslims. <br /><br />If we can't stop the Muslims, how could anyone else? <br /><br />The Muslims fully know what is riding on this war, and therefore are completely committed to winning, at any cost. We better know it too and be likewise committed to winning at any cost. <br /><br />Why do I go on at such lengths about the results of losing? Simple. Until we recognize the costs of losing, we cannot unite and really put 100% of our thoughts and efforts into winning. And it is going to take that 100% effort to win. <br /><br />So, how can we lose the war? <br /><br />Again, the answer is simple. We can lose the war by imploding. That is, defeating ourselves by refusing to recognize the enemy and their purpose, and really digging in and lending full support to the war effort. If we are united,<br />there is no way that we can lose. If we continue to be divided, there is no way that we can win! <br /><br />Let me give you a few examples of how we simply don't comprehend the life and death seriousness of this situation. <br /><br />President Bush selects Norman Mineta as Secretary of Transportation. Although all of the terrorist attacks were committed by Muslim men between 17 and 40 years of age, Secretary Mineta refuses to allow profiling. Does that sound like we are taking this thing seriously? This is war! For the duration, we are going to have to give up some of the civil rights we have become accustomed to. We had better be prepared to lose some of our civil rights temporarily or we will most certainly lose all of them permanently. And don't worry that it is a slippery slope. We gave up plenty of civil rights<br />during WWII, and immediately restored them after the victory and in fact added many more since then. <br /><br />Do I blame President Bush or President Clinton before him? <br /><br />No, I blame us for blithely assuming we can maintain all of our Political Correctness, and all of our civil rights during this conflict and have a clean, lawful, honorable war. None of those words apply to war. Get them out of your head. <br /><br />Some have gone so far in their criticism of the war and/or the Administration that it almost seems they would literally like to see us lose. I hasten to add that this isn't because they are disloyal. It is because they just don't recognize what losing means. Nevertheless, that conduct gives the impression to<br />the enemy that we are divided and weakening. It concerns our friends, and it does great damage to our cause. <br /><br />Of more recent vintage, the uproar fueled by the politicians and media regarding the treatment of some prisoners of war, perhaps exemplifies best what I am saying. We have recently had an issue, involving the treatment of a few Muslim prisoners<br />of war, by a small group of our military police. These are the type prisoners who just a few months ago were throwing their own people off buildings, cutting off their hands, cutting out their tongues and otherwise murdering their own people just for disagreeing with Saddam Hussein. And just a few years ago these same type prisoners chemically killed 400,000 of<br />their own people for the same reason. They are also the same type enemy fighters, who recently were burning Americans, and dragging their charred corpses through the streets of Iraq.<br />And still more recently, the same type enemy that was and is providing videos to all news sources internationally, of the beheading of American prisoners they held. <br /><br />Compare this with some of our press and politicians, who for several days have thought and talked about nothing else but the "humiliating" of some Muslim prisoners -- not burning them, not dragging their charred corpses through the<br />streets, not beheading them, but "humiliating" them.<br /><br />Can this be for real?<br /><br />The politicians and pundits have even talked of impeachment of the Secretary of Defense. If this doesn't show the complete lack of comprehension and understanding of the<br />seriousness of the enemy we are fighting, the life and death struggle we are in and the disastrous results of losing this war, nothing can.<br /><br />To bring our country to a virtual political standstill over this prisoner issue makes us look like Nero playing his fiddle as Rome burned -- totally oblivious to what is going on in the real world. Neither we, nor any other country, can survive this internal strife. <br /><br />Again I say, this does not mean that some of our politicians or media people are disloyal. It simply means that they are absolutely oblivious to the magnitude, of the situation we are in and into which the Muslim terrorists have been pushing us, for many years. Remember, the Muslim terrorists stated goal is to kill all infidels! That translates into all non-Muslims -- not just in the United States, but throughout the world.<br /><br />We are the last bastion of defense. <br /><br />We have been criticized for many years as being 'arrogant.' That charge is valid in at least one respect. We are arrogant in that we believe that we are so good, powerful and smart, that we can win the hearts and minds of all those who attack<br />us, and that with both hands tied behind our back, we can defeat anything bad in the world!<br /><br />We can't!<br /><br />If we don't recognize this, our nation as we know it will not survive, and no other free country in the World will survive if we are defeated. And finally, name any Muslim countries throughout the world that allow freedom of speech, freedom of thought, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, equal<br />rights for anyone -- let alone everyone, equal status or any status for women, or that have been productive in one single way that contributes to the good of the world. <br /><br />This has been a long way of saying that we must be united on this war or we will be equated in the history books to the self-inflicted fall of the Roman Empire. If, that is, the Muslim leaders will allow history books to be written or read. <br /><br />If we don't win this war right now, keep a close eye on how the Muslims take over France in the next 5 years or less. They will continue to increase the Muslim population of France and continue to encroach little by little, on the established French traditions. The French will be fighting among themselves, over what should or should not be done, which will continue to weaken them and keep them from any united resolve. Doesn't that sound eerily familiar? <br /><br />Democracies don't have their freedoms taken away from them by some external military force. Instead, they give their freedoms away, politically correct piece by politically correct piece. And they are giving those freedoms away to those who have shown, worldwide, that they abhor freedom and will not apply it to you or even to themselves, once they are in power. They have universally shown that when they have taken over, they then start brutally killing each other over who will be the few who control the masses. <br /><br />Will we ever stop hearing from the politically correct, about the "peaceful Muslims"? <br /><br />I close on a hopeful note, by repeating what I said above. If we are united, there is no way that we can lose. I hope now after the election, the factions in our country will begin to focus on the critical situation we are in, and will unite to save our country. It is your future we are talking about! Do whatever you can to preserve it.<br /><br />After reading the above, we all must do this not only for ourselves, but our children, our grandchildren, our country and the world. Whether Democrat or Republican, conservative or liberal and that includes the Politicians and media of our country and the free world! <br /><br />There are those that find fault with our country, but it is obvious to anyone who truly thinks through this, that we must UNITE!

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What losing this war will mean

Thanks mikeandronda. I personally feel that Major General Chong has hit the nail on the head. Being politically correct is killing the United States. What happened to statesmen and citizens who were strong of character and spoke their minds? There is no lack of them here in this forum.<br /><br />In my 30 year air force career I saw a change in the profile of what it took for career progression. It was becomnming a one-mistake career; if one had a blemish in their record they were not promoted because others promotion records had perfect careers. The old time leaders were guys who had gotten in trouble in their youth and were not afraid to take personal risk for something they believed in (hence getting in minor trouble that showed in their record). When I retired, the modern air force was becoming a career of people who were afraid to speak their opinion or take a personal risk for fear of dead-ending thier career progression. They are brave in battle but overly cautious in peacetime management of their affairs.<br /><br />Why do I say this about the air force? Simply because it is a reflection of other departments of the American government. A collection of leaders who are afraid of being politically incorrect. <br /><br />Major General Chong is obviously not afraid to express his opinion. We need more who are not retired to take say it like it is and who are willing to take risk. <br /><br />So who can change the present trend? We citizens who vote; by voting and putting leaders into positions that are willing to take professional risk, to be politically incorrect, to do the right thing for the nation and the world.<br /><br />The only way that modern political leaders will risk being politically incorrect is if people are willing to support them. That requires a united group of people. But then that is one of the main points of MG Chongs discussion.

aspeck

Staff member

Thanks for the thread M&R, and thanks for your input, Warhorse.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Great post! I honestly would like to see PW2's reaction as I have a hard time finding any fault with Chong's wisdom and wonder what holes can be poked in it.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

If we don't stop them who will? Well the chinese have not bought into the BS that is political correctness. They have a history of captitalism and only recently were forced into what the left here thinks is so great, communism. Mao bringing this plague to china is a recent phenomenon, they are historically a capitalistic country. Mao managed to kill off about 35 million of his citizens in the process of making it "fair". But you will notice that their economy has taken off when they began to embrace the principals of capitalism. They have no issue with racial profiling, have no issue using their military, they don't have a class in how to handle a Koran, and **** Durbin will do nothing with their treatment of their prisoners or their tactics in the field of "BATTLE". Their culture has not been "enlightened" to the importance of feminization of its population. Feelings and impression don't figure into their policies. Their army acts like soldiers and not grief counselors with self image complexes. There is no doubt that they will not hamstring their country's security for partisan and personal political gain or to protect underwear from ongoing abuse.<br /><br />Sad to say that our best ally in this battle may be the chinese.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Quietcat, its my guess PW2 wont respond to this post..........And warhorse, I know its been said before but thank you and every other american warrior (service man) on here for the service you have provided for us by making yourself available as protectors of our counrty, may God bless you and yours.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by mikeandronda:<br /> Quietcat, its my guess PW2 wont respond to this post..........
I agree, but he seems like a reasonably intelligent guy, and I truly would like to see a reasonably intelligent attempt at refuting the logic from Chong.<br /><br />
Originally posted by mikeandronda:<br />And warhorse, I know its been said before but thank you and every other american warrior (service man) on here for the service you have provided for us by making yourself available as protectors of our counrty, may God bless you and yours.
Ditto!!

iboater

Seaman Apprentice

Seems like who we are attacking is still vague. Muslim leaders doesn't clarify too much. who are they and where are they

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, Iboater, I agree. It is a different war as the enemy is not contained, not clearly identified, and not organized in a traditional sense. My opinion is that this doesn't change the fact that we are at war, or that it is just. It only makes it more difficult . . .<br /><br />Also, to clarify, it is not "Muslim leaders" that we are fighting as I maintain that Islam is a peacful religion that has been hijacked by some evil factions. You could argue the same about Christianity during the Crusades and many do. However, when searching for the enemy, it is clear that those that have been blowing themselves and others up recently are Muslim.

Ralph 123

Captain

Outstanding post. That goes in the files for future use...<br /><br />
Some have gone so far in their criticism of the war and/or the Administration that it almost seems they would literally like to see us lose.
That sums it up for me. We have to put an end to the internal battles before we can really get on to fighting the real war.<br /><br />I have a very unfortunate prediction. It is starting to play out. Basically, it will take a few more major terrorist attacks (major) to push us and the rest of the world over the edge... then, and only then, will the internal critics be defeated and we'll "Go Roman" on radical Islam.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Ralph:<br />[QB] Outstanding post. That goes in the files for future use...<br /><br />Yah what Ralph said!<br /> Nice to see it stated so well, and thanks to all thoes who served with honor.

dolluper

Captain

Keep your eyes open you can help in controling some of the wako's, there not that hard to spot and the boys need all the help we can give them keeping our countries safe and free.And I agree terroists deserve no rights as they disagree with our system so screw them.Political correctness is just a way of coping out instead of acting

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Good post :) I might add that along with strategic initiatives, we also need good contingency planning.<br /><br />We cannot allow the mistakes that occured at the begining of our occupation of Iraq to repeat themselves.<br /><br />This is going to be a very long war, our grandchildren's children will still be fighting long after we leave this earth, make no mistake about it.<br /><br />This is not a war of simply bombs and bullets, we are fighting a war against an intrenched ideology hell bent on our distruction.<br /><br />Due to our media driven political impatience, the terrorists in Iraq know that time is on their side if they can kill off the Iraqis recruits faster than we can train them.<br /><br />we must take the fight to the enemy and not allow them to bring it on as we have done in the past.<br /><br />The French foreign policy is weak due to their wimpy President "Chirac".<br /><br />France continues to play a double game, they hold themselves hostage to the Middle East oil supplies. <br /><br />Chirac will definitely be ousted come the next election, we can only hope that the French pick a President who can see the big picture and not someone with tunnel vision.<br /><br />The French internal security system is a good one, they are not hampered by the types of laws which we adhere to.<br /><br />Due to some of their draconian laws their internal intelligency services have so far done a much better job than the British and other European countries at rounding up terrorists and their sympathizers within their borders.<br /><br />America cannot afford to lose this war, this is not like Korea or Vietman as you so wisely pointed out,<br /><br />losing this war will disseminate our economy and our nation's standing in the world.<br /><br />Losing this war will put us in the same place as Russia post their Afganistan misadventure.<br /><br />Losing this war is not an option America should ever have to contemplate.<br /><br />The self aggrandizing and beyond reasoning politicians need to grow some balls, and give our soldiers all the support and tools neccessary to accomplish the task of winning this war.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

I'll admit I didn't read all of it, but that is because after #2 I couldn't deal with the BS anymore.<br /><br />For starters, they don't hate us because they envy us or for any other crap reason that you'd like to believe. They hate us because we won't get the hell out of their litter box of a world and leave them alone. Look at the attacks listed. <br /><br />The Iran incident in 1979 was a revolution. Iranians overthrew the government that the US put into place there. So they took hostage the Americans in high government places because they happened to be there at the time of the revolt. They simply wanted their country back.<br /><br />The Lebanon bombings were done to get us out of Lebanon, and were funded at least partially by Iran. I lost an Uncle in 1983 in that bombing and I can tell you they didn't run a truck full of explosives into the barracks because they hate our freedom. They wanted us out. Thats all they wanted. This has been proven in court by intercepted transmissions from Iran. I know this because I am part of a lawsuit against Iran for the bombing. And we got out.(big mistake, btw.) <br /><br />Fast forward to post-1990. Well there have been quite a few attacks since then, and most if not all, were orchestrated by OBL's group. Well here's a fun little fact for you.......it was in 1990 that we stationed around 5000 troops in Saudi Arabia. Before that point, the attacks were to get us out of places we had no business being in like Lebanon and Iran, NOT because they hate our freedom.<br /><br />Since 1990, we've had more and worse attacks happen to US interests, most of which involve OBL and/or associates of his. Do you see the connection yet??? The things happening to us are a direct result of US foreign policy. But I also understand that now that the US has taken out most of the "big" Al-Qaeda targets, terrorism is no longer just for the pros, so to speak.<br /><br />Think of Iraq as the beginning. If Iraq is lost, terrorism against America and it's allies will skyrocket even more than the 300% it has since W took office. We must win in Iraq, but we won't(just like the Soviets couldn't win in Afghanistan), and thats what scares me.<br /><br />I'd also like to add that the post above mine is spot on. The only thing is that the tools needed to win this war are WMD's. And if we were to use WMD's on the terrorists, as well as innocent civilians since you can't really tell them apart, we really would not be much different from the person we went into Iraq to get.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

So what your saying mrbscott is we dont belong there..........well let me ask you something are they here?????? I would say so........they sure were here on 9/11 lets get this striaght there will never be peace with these extreme muslums.......no matter what.....I know you want to feel all good inside and warm and fuzzy but the fact is they would remove your head from your shoulders whether you want us to be there or not. You are an infedel to them no matter what side of the political fence your on and whether you consider them your enemy, they consider you one. Anyway I would love to spare with you on this but Im going camping this weekend and I will sleep soundly tonight thanx to our heros who are over fighting this countries enemies on their lands insted of allowing them to come here and threaten me and my family. I hope everybody has a great weekend........even you mrbscott :)

Ralph 123

Captain

If you think "getting out" would end all this you're misguided beyond hope. Try reading a little of NY times reporter Thomas Friedman, no conservative by a long shot. Go buy "longitudes and Attitudes" which is a collection of his articles. Then try to catch his documentary on the Discovery Times Channel. Then come back and tell us if you still think it has anything at all to do with being in their "sandbox"<br /><br />PS - one of my very best friends in High Scool was an Iranian ex-pat who lost many family members at the hands of the radical islamists. He himself was scooped up at 15, thrown on a bus to the Iraqi front to be cannon foder. If you think that was a truly popular movement, or people knew where it was heading (just like Russia, Cuba, etc.) then you don't know anything about the real story. That's why the Iranian people are so pro US...

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

mrbscott <br /><br /><br />What scares me is all of the gloom and doom that you predict.<br /><br />First of all America is not the Soviet Union.<br /><br />The Soviets intentions were to conquer, dominate and subjugate the Afgans, They deserve to have lost.<br /><br />That is not and never has been our intention. If America adopts your defeatist attitude then we will surely lose.

Ralph 123

Captain

we had no business being in like Lebanon
Oh give me a break. We were there to help the Palestinians for God's sake man. Who was it that saved Arafat in Lebanon? Who got him out alive? Who put themselves between the Israelis and the Palestinians?<br /><br />Why did we have troops in Saudi? Who invited them? Who asked them to save the Kingdom from imminent invasion by Saddam? What conversation did UBL have with the King of SA? What did the King say to him?<br /><br /><br />I think you really should pick up a copy of "Ghost Wars" too. Written by the Editor of the Washington Post (no conservative either). This book was cited as authoritative by the 911 Commission.