What leak?

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 19' 1979 Grady White, runabout (closed bow) and I have a leak.

I keep her at a marina that removes the boat from the water after each outing. On the last occasion she was taken out, we pulled the plug and about 5 gallons (estimate) drained. She was in the water for about 30 hours (5 hours of usage and was taken out of the water the next day). When she was taken out of the water we checked the hull (while still wet) and found nothing suspect of where the water entered. The water was salty so it was not rain water (it didn't rain anyway). So, i suspect a hairline crack somewhere.

While on the trailer, I'm going the fill the boat with water, about up to the water line and inspect the outside of the hull to locate the seepage.

So, here is the question: will the water that I add soak into the floatation causing it to be waterlogged? If so, will it dry / drain out completly if left alone of a week? Is there a better way to check for leaks without demo-ing the deck?

There are no hull penetrations other than the plug hole, which looks fine.

Thanks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: What leak?

Two very common problems on a Grady of that age.

1. When was the last time the thru-hulls where changed?
2. Have you ever removed the rub rail and resealed the hull seam?
3. If an I/O, has the bellows been changed lately?

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

dingbat: answers.

1. As far as I know, never. I have all of the receipts from the seller and no mention of the plug being changed. The plug fits very snug and the hole itself looks good from both sides.

2. No. Besides, the water spray from moving thru waves probably would not produce a sugnificant amount of water.

3. I have an O/B. The bolts have plenty of sealant squeezed out. I had the motor mount/trim package replaced last season by a trusted & certified marine mechanic. The problem existed even before that unit was replaced.

Thanks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

dingbat: answers.

2. No. Besides, the water spray from moving thru waves probably would not produce a sugnificant amount of water.

Thanks.

2. I thought so too until I put two and two together after running against an outgoing tide one afternoon. The water, via surface tension, runs right up the face of the bow and is channeled into the hull seam by the rub rail. Would never have believed it had I not seen it myself

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, I'll take a look and try to force spray from a hose. I really don't think thats it though. If it is, then caulk is in order.

Cheaspeake Beach? Thats not far from where I like to play. I get down to St. Marys County often. In a few weeks I'll be in Ridge, MD with a group for a charter trip. Very nice living, on the Bay.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Okay, I'll take a look and try to force spray from a hose. I really don't think thats it though. If it is, then caulk is in order.

Cheaspeake Beach? Thats not far from where I like to play. I get down to St. Marys County often. In a few weeks I'll be in Ridge, MD with a group for a charter trip. Very nice living, on the Bay.

You should have a good time on your charter. Fishing has been good for a while now. :):)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

5 gallons is no hairline crack. And your bilge pump float needs fixing, too.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe it was less than 5 gals. When the plug was pulled, the water ran out for about 30 to 45 seconds. So, 5 gals is a high estimate.

The bildge pump is installed a little too high. I will reinstall it to be more flush with the bottom.

Does anyone know if the floatation in this Grady will absorb water?

Last edited: