What kind of Trim tabs?

mfcoloradonf

Recruit
I currently have composite sx smart tabs on my 16 foot aluminum bass boat which work beautifully. And the are automatic!!! Don't need to do anything. It really has smoothed out my ride. I could not believe it at first. I just wanted to get on a plane faster, and what I got was both!!!

In the coming months I am interested in a getting a 16 or 18 ft flats boat. Most of these already come with the electric Lenco Tabs. Here is the thing. I am already very attached to my sx smart tabs because they not only get me on a plane at the blink of an eye, in rough water they really do act as shock absorbers.

My question is, should I switch out any new electric Lenco tabs for some Nauticus SX tabs? The rationale side of my brain tells me that because Lencos are 5 times more expensive they have to be better. My emotional side says, hey these SX tabs work like a marvel...plus they are like shocks, so stick with 'em. Nauticus claims that electric and hydralic tabs don't shock asborb.

Anybody with experience please help me decide!:confused:

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What kind of Trim tabs?

I do not know the differnce between what you have and what you are looking for, but If I were going to install or replace my trim tabs, I would go with Bennet Trim Tabs. Thier customer service and support is out of this world.

I contacted them about problems I was having with their tabs. They were very helpful with ttouble shooting the problem. They determined the motor had an internal short.
They asked how old the tabs were, told them I did not know I just bought the boat. (20 YEAR OLD BOAT)

Since I just bought the boat they replaced the motor under warrenty, even though it was most likely the tabs were original to the boat.

I would never consider buy another brand of tabs, with service like taht.

ziggy

Admiral

if they already come with tabs........ why not just run it and see how ya like it when ya have personal controll over them. then you'll have the experience to understand the difference between the two kinds, the benifits of one or over the other....... who knows, ya may like them better than the auto ones..... just so ya know where i'm coming from. i have never had any kind of tabs, so i'm only speaking on the notion that if ya've already got $500 + or - in tabs... why not give them a chance before condeming them for what you know you like....... if ya find ya really dislike them, go back to yer smart tabs.....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Helm adjustable tabs provide two distinct advantages. 1) If you load one side of the boat heavier than the other or the boat tends to run low on one side or the other, adjusting the tab on that side functions just like an aileron on an airplane and will level the boat. 2) The fact that they are helm adjustable allows you to add or reduce trim at any speed to compensate for any condition. Although Smart Tabs are automatic, they can't "think" -- they can only "react" within their design limits.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would try what was on there before I switched them out. I have the sx smart tabs on a 18 foot sea pro CC and I also love them since they are automatic and reasonably priced. On a small boat like this I personally do not want to have to adjust trim tabs with my speed, but I still would not spend the money on them if the old ones did what I wanted without too much imput.

mfcoloradonf

Recruit

Thanks for your input guys;) Quick question for Silvertip, my portside is lighter so do I adjust them down for more resistance or up for less to compensate?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i believe the reason for have adjustables on flats boats, is to be able to adjust to get on immediate plane, in shallow water, then readjust to level the ride.

basic raise the stern faster that the smart tabs.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I think Smart tabs are cheaper and they will help you get on plane faster than with no tabs at all.

Helm adjustable tabs allow you to adjust for the perfect ride at any speed and any condition. When the waters flat and glassy you really do not need any tabs let the bow come up some for great speed and ride.

When you round the corner and see a 25 foot boat pulling a wake boarder as sub planning speed you reach down and trim the bow down for wave cutting until you get buy all the waves from the boat then trim right back up.

When it rough and choppy adjusted the bow down for your best ride. If it really rough no problem adjust the bow down for best wave cutting ride at half your normal planning speed. You can run on plane at a speed that does not beat up your gear and Crew.

When the wind Blows from one side and your boat leans into the wind and throws spray from the side up into the air and the wind blows it all over the back of the boat Just trim the boat back to flat where the spray again comes off the bottom of the boat and throws the spray out to the side instead of up into the air. The winds still tries to blow the spray back onto the boat but since it coming off the bottom and shooting out to the side by the time the wind can blow it back the boat has moved foward and the back of the boat stays dry.

In big swells and a following sea you can take the trim all the way off for a much safer ride in.

When your out with a cute chick in a nice Bikini and your big fat buddy you adjust her side down. Then you ask if she would mind switching side with your buddy to balance the boat better. Of course as they switch side you adjust the trim to again make here side low. After several switches back and forth you suggest it could be the weight of her Bikini top. If she takes it off you adjust to level trim right away. Just one causion, make sure there are no firearms on board for when she finds out.