What kind of tree is this (Southeast)?

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm in NC and am trying to identify a tree to see if it's worth saving the wood to burn in a fireplace. <br /><br />No pic, but hoping this description will help someone identify it.<br /><br />It is deciduous (sp?), the leaves are almond shaped, and some of the smaller branches have what looks like 'webs' running along opposite sides of the entire branch. Not the spider kind of web, more like thin "dorsal fin" looking things on each side, maybe 1/2" tall and running the length of the branch.) <br /><br />Anyone know what this is and whether it makes good firewood?<br /><br />If this description doesn't do it I'll try to post a pic, but hoping it's common enough that someone will recognize by the description.<br /><br />Thanks!

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What kind of tree is this (Southeast)?

Going to need a pic. could be a ash, yellow birch, hickory, beech, list goes on.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What kind of tree is this (Southeast)?

Took some pictures, but y'all saved me the time of downloading and transfering them.<br /><br />roscoe has it; winged elm.<br /><br />According to the following reference on heating with wood, I'd guess it's burning characteristics are similar to the American elm; fair. But it's diameter is perfect log size without needing to split, so I think I'll cut it up and mix in with the much bigger hickory my neighbor took down and cut into fireplace size pieces (gonna have to do some splitting this spring :cool: ).<br /><br />Thanks for the feedback!<br /><br /> http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/forestry/g05450.htm