What kind of spark plug do I need for 80hp super seahorse outboard?

lbcboating

Seaman Apprentice
super seahorse 80hp V4
Not sure if I have the right spark plugs in it .. Was wondering if anyone knew specifically which spark plugs should be used

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What kind of spark plug do I need for 80hp super seahorse outboard?

Model number?

lbcboating

Seaman Apprentice

i think it's J2633519
It currently has J6C Champion spark plugs in it .. but are those the correct ones?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

J6C plugs gaped at .030 are correct.

That number is a serial number. We need the model number.

The ignition is via a magneto... DO NOT apply Any voltage to that magneto as that will blow the very expensive and hard to find coil apart that is within the magneto!

No offense but it appears that you have no idea of what you have or the knowledge of its circuity. It would be best if you contacted the seller for a few pointers.

The engine has a fuel pump so the tank must be vented... not pressurized.

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

i think it's J2633519
It currently has J6C Champion spark plugs in it .. but are those the correct ones?

I think if its 80 hp it'll be either 1966 or 1967 and the model number will be V4A-18, V4S-18, V4A-19 or V4A-19.

Whichever of the above, the current recommended plugs are J4C gapped at 0.030".

J6C are just one grade hotter but if Joe says they are Ok they are OK.

Last edited:

lbcboating

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks .. this particular motor and setup is entirely new to me. My other one is a 35hp evinrude which i'm more familiar with .. I'm relaying only what was told to me about this 80hp motor..

The person who had it before said they would start up the motor by connecting those two terminals since the key ignition didn't work. This is NOT a good idea right?

Correct me if i'm wrong but if the coil within the magneto is blown then it wouldn't produce a spark?

I was told that the tank is pressurized, there is a hose coming out of the fuel tank to a release lever near the rear , is this where it's vented?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Connecting two terminals? I have no idea what terminals you're speaking of.

If a coils is blown (bad)... correct, it would not produce a spark. Note that with the spark plugs removed, the spark must jump a 1/4" gap on that model with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP!

The fuel tank designed for that engine is not pressurized. I have no way of knowing what that hose you speak of is for. You have not stated if you're speaking of a portable fuel tank or a built in permanent tank.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Thanks .. this particular motor and setup is entirely new to me. My other one is a 35hp evinrude which i'm more familiar with .. I'm relaying only what was told to me about this 80hp motor..

The person who had it before said they would start up the motor by connecting those two terminals since the key ignition didn't work. This is NOT a good idea right?

Correct me if i'm wrong but if the coil within the magneto is blown then it wouldn't produce a spark?

I was told that the tank is pressurized, there is a hose coming out of the fuel tank to a release lever near the rear , is this where it's vented?

As Joe says the motor does not use a pressurized tank. If its the original portable tank the vent is part of the fitting to which the hose connects.

A coil which is open-circuited on either winding, has short-circuited turns or bad insulation will not give a spark.

You can no doubt start it by connecting the correct two wires . Its reasonable to do in an emergency but a bad idea as the normal method.
New key switches are available both as OEM and non OEM parts.

If the keyswitch also acts as the stop switch it will have to be in the run position for the motor to run even if it will not activate the starter

lbcboating

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks I got everything working ..
I meant a portable fuel tank. It is not built into the boat. On the tank there is a gas line that goes to the outboard, and of course a line to pour in fuel, then another line that goes to a faucet like connecter that drops off next to the rear plug in the back of boat. Would that be to drain the tank?

I figured out the key ignition problem , i installed a new key ignition switch and i'm able to start it up normally. The plugs were fine.

When connecting two terminals to start (instead of the key ignition) i was referring to the starter solenoid , how exactly could you blow the coil in the magneto if you connect both terminals on the solenoid? does it deliver an unregulated voltage or ampage directly to the coil?