What kind of people swamp other peoples boats on purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scipper77

Commander
Re: What kind of people swamp other peoples boats on purpose?

Nature's way of compensating for lack of brains...they (parents) are genetically programmed to pass SOMETHING along. Only sphincters swamp another's boat for fun...course if you carry a coach gun, you won't have to worry about that.

Are you suggesting to respond to someone swamping your boat by shooting flares at there boat that could start a fire???

I don't think this is much healthier of behavior than the original swamping. I only wish I knew a more appropriate response. :cool:

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I want a grant.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Man, they got a study for everything.
I want my grant so I can go study the effects of crustaceans in relationship to cloud formations (or lack thereof).

Hey when you read through the grant request, sometimes the crazy & weirder they sound, the better chance they seem to have.

The grant proposal is the part that, uh, well, you complete the sentence.

I want a grant.

Yeah, I want to study fishes digestive habits in relation to the baits most commonly sold at the local tackle shop:D:D

Will they really pay me to go fishing? :rolleyes: LMAO

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

No, I'm saying that MOST people wouldn't get close enough to think of swamping your boat for fun if you are up walking around the deck with a 12 ga. coach gun, not a flare gun, in plain site. I want a grant, too.

scipper77

Commander

No, I'm saying that MOST people wouldn't get close enough to think of swamping your boat for fun if you are up walking around the deck with a 12 ga. coach gun, not a flare gun, in plain site. I want a grant, too.

What's a coach gun? I'm not a gun guy. I ASSumed it was a term for a flare gun and fulfilled the cliche.:redface:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Sounds like one of those guns carried by the guy riding "shotgun" on a stageCOACH. Just a guess.

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Using pain (if it doesn't hurt if doesn't work) to control children is the way to go...

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yep, a coach gun is a short, double-barreled shotgun favored by the stagecoach guards. Kind of like a blunderbuss...used in the days of the tall ships and pirates to clear the rigging of undesirables when being boarded. The sight of one is generally enough to put most folks off...some folks even trim the stock down or cut it off right behind the pistol grip. Rock salt loads make for a painful, non-fatal lesson...and table salt loads shoot quite a flame out the end of the barrel just for show. I keep one around just for snakes...which are quite common in Tejas.

scipper77

Commander

I have relatives in Texas and I couldn't even begin to explain how different New York is from Texas. If you merely flash a gun at someone here (not point it at them) there's a good chance you will end up in handcuffs.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Bummer...would they cuff and haul you off in NY for having a big spud gun or paint-ball gun on board? How about a really big slingshot loaded with golf balls? Must be something creative you can use to fight the swampers.

scipper77

Commander

no, you can have the gun but if someone swamps the boat and you respond by holding up a gun that could be taken as threatening them. It's not illegal to posses the gun but unless it's self defense it is illegal to threaten with a gun. you prabably won't get in trouble just for holding up the gun (that is it won't hold up in court) but you will likely have to answer to an officer and appear in court over something like that.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There's only been one case of an intentional swamping ( intentional or ignorance = same thing) narrow area returning thru Little River Jettys, two guys on a jon-boat returning from fishing backside of jettys, a 32' Bertram gave no quarter plowing thru inlet,5' wake,about drowned those guys, everyone yelling on vhf 16 to slow down..ignored, later that day the 2 fishermen go to Poo's (local watering hole,low and behold..there's the Bertram, two younger arrogant "captains" sitting at the bar, one of the fishermen asks if thats there boat and who's the captain....One fella say's i am....fisherman drops capt left hook followed with uppercut...sack of potatos...takes captains drink slowly pours it on his head..along with second drink,when the bartender realizes who the two "captains" are (vhf in bar) she throws them out..only to be met by local wildlife officers, the fishermen were bought many drinks on the house,that crap aint tolerated down here,75% fish boats,tight community,and RESPECT,insure incidents like that are few and far between, and for guns on board..yup most of the larger offshore boats carry shotguns for the sharks ect..guns are a way of life down here.
NRA supporter 12 years running.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

TD,

I read the Sun Journal story. This guy deserves a lot more than 3 1/2 years. Maybe 30 1/2 years...

KWB

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been nearly swamped several times in the St. Johns and in Sister's Creek by careless folks in big cruisers. Whether or not they are intentionally trying to swamp you, I think they should have their licence pulled and their boat impounded. There's no place for them on the water!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

KWB, that is exactly why i advocate, every boat owner be required to be certified, not over the internet, but in class safety course, and pass the test, and being recertified every 10 years. this being done and proof of certification, before they can register their boat. atleast it gets more education out there. you have to pass the test to drive a car, boats are getting just a dangerous.

i agree the guy got off scout free really.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

TD,

While mandatory safety courses would educate and inform those who are willing to obey the law and want to be a safe boater, it would not help with those "me" boaters who don't care about others and think they're better than everyone else and those sickos with a warped sense of humor who think its funny to swamp boats.

In the case of the guy jailed in the Sun Journal article, sadly I don't believe a safety course or certification would have made any difference. Take a look at his driving record, he clearly had no regard for others and I'm sure he knew the rules of the road.

KWB

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that guy is the exception of the rule. he also should have lost his priviledge to own a boat. i am really in favor off generation a boat operators license. and increasing penalties for those caught. In Jax, we have very limited enforce do to lack of funding from the city and state. other areas have much more local patrolling.

the St. Johns for the most part is patrolled by the fish and game, the river for the majority, runs thru individual counties, except Clay and St.Johns counties. which do not have resources for patrol.

Tampa Bay has much more patrol as it is bordered by 3 counties.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

About 1 month ago I got stopped in Julington Creek around the small creek that goes to Clark's Fishcamp for a safety inspection which I passed. I guess they were coming from lunch. After we were done a powerboat came cruising by with a big wake in the manatee zone. It was a yellow and black boat with a ski tower. I've seen them doing this a bunch of times out there before. (On another trip a couple of months back they pulled a wake boarder within a few feet of out boat while we were idling in the narrower part of the creek. )

Anyway, after out safety inspection the water patrol was probably 100 yards away going slow but you could really hear the power boat, there were no other boats around. We were waiting & hoping that they would get stopped but they ignored them. I guess even the enforcement we have leaves something to be desired.

KWB

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

KWB, that is exactly why i advocate, every boat owner be required to be certified, not over the internet, but in class safety course, and pass the test, and being recertified every 10 years. this being done and proof of certification, before they can register their boat. atleast it gets more education out there. you have to pass the test to drive a car, boats are getting just a dangerous.

i agree the guy got off scout free really.

TD, with due respect,we have drivers tests,both written and actual..."who cares" drivers are everywhere,disobeying about every law there is,what we don't need is more government involvement with our lives,all it would do is cost us more,waste our time, and now what we would have are Licensed Idiots.Spend the money it would cost to set up the "certification program" on more LEO's, more cops with props would be far better than yet another batch of paperwork and more $$$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.