what kind of paint to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robaloroger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used phantom black in the can and it came out like crap. There were streaks from overspray. I was told a 2 stage epoxy paint would be good. I was also told not to use a car paint because of the abuse of the salt water. I dont want to get spray cans..

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: what kind of paint to use?

robaloroger;

You can try this guy, depending on where you are located as he has phantom black for spray guns, which would make life a lot easier.

http://www.nymarine.ca/

Gerry

wimico

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know about the saltwater deal but I have had good success using Rustoleum gloss paint. Thin with lacquer thinner, add automotive "wet look" type enamel hardener and spray from your gun. I have used this process on several outdoor equipment jobs and they have held up really well for several years. (Lawn mowers, tillers)
I just finished painting a 50hp Merc and it turned out really slick. I took it down to the metal and primed with self etching primer, wet sanded smooth, primed with 2 part sandable primer, wet sanded smooth, and then on went the Rustoleum.
It won't be used in saltwater but I'm sure it will work just fine in the fresh water.

RRitt

Captain

The aluminum should be spotless. Ideally it will have that even matte look that comes from 80G abrasive blasting. It should be washed an completely free of grease or silicones. The yellow parts wash solution sold at harbor freight in a 40:1 mix with warm water does fantastic job. Stir in 1/3 strength TSP for extra kick.

IF you properly prepare the aluminum then what type of paint does not make so much difference. Duplicolor self-etch gives the best adhesion with the least prep or clean-up time. the second coat needs to be waterproof. Wash primers are for adhesion not for moisture barrier. Exposed aluminum can be treated with alodine to make it weatherproof. It gives the aluminum a golden hue. You probably noticed it on the backside of exposed parts before. You can mail order quarts and gallons from aircraft spruce.

robaloroger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the responses. I tried the rustoleum on another motor and it came out good on the mid and lower. The hood was not very shiny because of the longer strokes. The mid and lower had quick passes so when the overspray hit the motor it blended in with the wet paint, When I sprayed the hood the overspray was hitting paint that was not as wet so it left streaks. I will try to find phantom black in the gallon.
Thanks again

wimico

Seaman Apprentice

Mid Section Painted.jpg Lower Cowling Front Cover.jpg Mounting Bracket.jpg Upper Cowling Painted.jpgPaint Primer.jpg

I totally agree with that preparation is the key to a successful paint job. I had my metal pieces sandblasted while I had it apart and it had that matte looking finish as previously mentioned. They were painted as pieces.
Duplicolor seft etching primer, then the two part auto primer, then the Rustoleum with automotive enamel hardener. Wet sanding between applications with 600 wet or dry paper made the surface smooth as a baby's behind.
Most dry spray is obviously prevented with a good "wet coat" which is almost impossible when spaying any large size with a rattle can.
I am not trying to convince you to use the Rustoleum but cost wise I believe it to be a good choice. I have never used the Mercury phantom paint so I don't know how thick it is out of the can. The Rustoleum is thick enough out of the can that one quart will more than suffice for painting one motor.
The photos aren't real good since these parts have been in my basement "curing" for a couple of weeks and have collected a little dust and the spots on the mounting bracket are water droplets from the rain we got last night.
Anyway, good look with your project and remember to not get in a hurry!!! Slow and time consuming will get a little frustrating but the end result will be worth it.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I was always taught NOT to paint Merc paint on a cloudy/overcast/humid day as it would retart drying time and cause 'clouding' of the finish.

Since I am a mechanic and NOT a painter, I've followed this an have never had a problem with the finish of Merc Phantom Black spray cans.

But I DO clean and prime!

Status
Not open for further replies.