What kind of paint to paint an outboard with ?

beagleboy

Seaman
Just joined so a hello to everybody from Lake Simcoe Ontario (north of Toronto). So here is my question... What paint can I use to paint my 85hp Evinrude. I have sanded it and preped it. The boat sits in the water all summer. I want to paint the the whole thing white and use the vinyl sign material for the striping and of course lettering etc will be cut on the computor.

NWLundguy

Cadet
Re: What kind of paint to paint an outboard with ?

I have refinished several OMC outboards, and have used PPG Deltron with PPG DPLF primer. Deltron is a single stage, catalyzed paint that does not need clear-coat. The OMC website has the paint codes for the various years.

Go here --> http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=qhrt0bk47oqg64flbp13mlqac4&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

Click on your year, hp, then model. OMC sells rattle can paint if you want to go the low cost route. It won't last that long though. The PPG paints are expensive, but if you properly prepare the metal, it won't need to be done again. As with all restoration projects, you have to decide if the cost of the paint, catalyst and reducer is worth investing in your old outboard. They sure look great with shiny new paint that exactly matches the original.

Any automotive paint supplier can mix the product of your choice using the paint code.