What is this wire for?

Dersu Uzala

Cadet
I just installed this 1988 evinrude 90 hp on my boat. Does any know what these wires are for? Should I connect them?20220522_195635.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Somebody found a horn that was annoying.----Then cut the wire to silence the warning horn.----Best to do a compression test and post your numbers.

dwco5051

Commander
Check for continuity with a meter between the end where it was cut and the block. It should be open on a cold engine. If not it may be only a defective sensor. Follow racerone's instructions to let us know what shape the engine is in also.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Somebody found a horn that was annoying.----Then cut the wire to silence the warning horn.----Best to do a compression test and post your numbers.
Yea those dang alarms that keep going off. But if I cut this wore I don't have to listen to that annoying beeping when I'm going wide open!!

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
FYI to the OP, at least that powerhead is NOT a 1988 Evinrude model. I don't know if the powerhead is a large mismatch versus the model tag on the midsection.

It is important to get this accurate info so you don't go ordering certain parts that are wrong on the powerhead you have installed.

The powerhead looks like one from 1978 to maybe mid 1980's when they still put the lift eye on the 90 HP motors.

Would have to see more of the powerhead to narrow down the year model.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am no expert like the others but when I saw it I was surprised to see he said it was an 88 I thought it was early 80s myself. Y'all confirm what I was thinking

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Interesting that they cut the Wire, as a couple of inches away, are the Knife Connectors, inside the Sleeve next to the finger

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sometimes folks have no sense? You can't make sense of what some people do sometimes.