What Is this tube I broke off ??? merc 70 help ::Pics::

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class
woops went to replace an old line and the nipple broke right of. this is on the powerhead of my 79 merc 70HP

goes from here
iooxnl.jpg

to here
fy1i4y.jpg

FLATHEAD MAC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What Is this tube I broke off ??? merc 70 help ::pics::

:facepalm:LOOKS LIKE LINE FOR TELL TALE. DOES IT GO FROM THE MOTOR down to a fitting in the lower cowl, right hand side (pee hole)

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class

better pic. its like a crank case vent from the top to bottom? oil line? gas return line? Ill have to find the manual but anyone ?

2njhrev.jpg

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Come on guys fixing this now so I can ride. I'm going to end up siliconing the tube that fitting will never come out I have zero ideas and not sure how important this is

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'd bet you can screw out that fitting and pick up another at about any hardware or auto parts store... I doubt silicone would hold

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldnt be so sure that fitting has been in there for 3 decades. I wish it was that easy

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class

after messing with it yesterday I guess it loosend up no heat needed it came out I am replacing it and going WOT real soon.

pretty sure im going to slap a 75HP rude on here for next year but still impressed with the merc....a good spare motor.....not daily all day

oh I found out its a gas vent for the lower crank case to put fuel into the top something like that

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

It is one of the recirc lines that pulls accumulated fuel/oil from the motor and reintroduces it into the intake passage of another cyl, necessary and must be repaired/replaced.

Some of these fittings have a one-way check valve built into them, you should have your model and serial #'s handy and check here, find the factory part # them start checking to see if it is available aftermarket or if you will be forced to order one from a dealer.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercruiser_parts.asp

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks!!! the motors are such bricks theres got to be about a dozen seized ones in my area. I just scrounge their parts...the new ignition is untouchable, new fuel pump works imeller throws water great carbs are freshly cleaned again (THE FLYWHEEL COVER RUBBED AND GOT DUST IN THEM.

good olllllllllllll mercs for ya. I need an outboard that requres less than 1hr wrench time per season not 80/20 wrenchingatroubleshooting vs boating :p

Iboats is king