What is this hose coming off of fuel pump

Stewartwp05

Cadet
Just wondering why this isn’t connected to anything, and if so what it is supposed to be connected to,
3.0L GM 181 I / L4 1987-1989

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26

alldodge

Staff member
I'm unable to tell if that is the wrong kind of hose but it goes to the flame arrestor. If (note the if) the pump diaphragm inside the pump starts leaking, there will be fuel in the hose going to the arrestor. This keeps the fuel from going into the bilge

Should be tygon tubing

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It should be yellowish clear, aka: tygon,....

It goes to a nipple on the carb, or flame arrester to dump down the throat of the carb, if the fuel pump diaphragm ruptures,....
Being clearish, you can notice the gas in it, before total failure,....

todhunter

Canoeist
As said above, it should go to the nipple on your carb or flame arrestor. You should replace it with Tygon F-4040-A tubing, which is compatible with fuels. Other types of Tygon (or other brands of tubing) may or may not be resistant.

flashback

Captain
I'd be willing to bet it is the wrong kind of hose. Looks like regular old PVC to me.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Yeah wrong hose Napa sells the tygon

From fuel line set up Looks like some one swapped out a pump with the bowl on the bottom to the one with the bowl on the top. They used both styles over the years on 3.0 s

In addition to the tygon up to carb would get a 90 elbow where the tygon attaches to pump so it doesn’t hit the filter

Also would make sure the hose on discharge fuel line jumper int over to the steel fuel
Line is marine rated and clamps are good quality ones that won’t leak over time