what is this fish?

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: what is this fish?

I could be wrong but I thought most American Carp were imported way back when, and Suckers are our only native, Carplike fish ? .

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Suckers, squaw fish, skunk fish - I'm pretty sure you're right. The Tui-Chub isn't native anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere that I know of. It is planted because the off spring produce a great bait fish that feeds the other fish in the lake. DFG out here seems to really like it.

Jlawsen

Eric, I got your PM, I'll see you in the am.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I could be wrong but I thought most American Carp were imported way back when, and Suckers are our only native, Carplike fish ? .

It's the Common Carp, and they were imported and released back in the 1800's because the Europeans thought they were good to eat... little did they know we had much better native fish.

Another native carplike fish is the Buffalo fish, and they're mistaken for Carp a lot of times. I've caught 2 and mistook the first one for a Carp until I looked it up.

DSC01330.jpg

DSC01831.jpg

Some people would swear up and down these things were Carp, but they're actually Smallmouth Buffalo.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

That fish is not a carp.there is only one species of carp but there are variants,such as mirrors leathers commons etc but they are all carp,also Koi,and they will all interbreed.This one is different and I have to confess it has me beat.Fins are all wrong on that one for it to be a carp,scale pattern is wrong too.The others mentioned,such as Asian ,bighead,buffalo etc are not carp at all.I don't think it's a goldfish either.Were we in Europe I would say it's some kind of Roach variant. Possibly it's some kind of of aquarium fish someone has released that normally doesn't get that size but is doing well in your pond.Lets hope they grow to 20# for a bit of fun.
geoffwga1.

Jlawsen

That fish is not a carp.there is only one species of carp but there are variants,such as mirrors leathers commons etc but they are all carp,also Koi,and they will all interbreed.This one is different and I have to confess it has me beat.Fins are all wrong on that one for it to be a carp,scale pattern is wrong too.The others mentioned,such as Asian ,bighead,buffalo etc are not carp at all.I don't think it's a goldfish either.Were we in Europe I would say it's some kind of Roach variant. Possibly it's some kind of of aquarium fish someone has released that normally doesn't get that size but is doing well in your pond.Lets hope they grow to 20# for a bit of fun.
geoffwga1.

I'll have to agree with the aquarium scenario. I thought at first it was tui but it's dorsal is all wrong. The mouth say's bottom feeder but that could be any number of fish. I kinda looks like a cross with crappie or blue gill but that's a stretch. Could it be an albino carpgill crappie.. LOL.. who knows..

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

just done a little research on this.Try googling "Crucian Carp" and check out the wikipedia section.I think we could have something here.
Geoffwga1.

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am going to go with a Grass Carp, some were stocked to take down the over growth of weeds and aquatic grasses. images.jpg

Walkwolf

Cadet

I don't believe it is anything quite as exotic as the last three fish mentioned.
It has the shape and fin configuration of a common carp juvenile.........

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i agree. caught one in the cast net tonight looked just like it.

juvinille carp

Attachments

• svendsen_carp.jpg
    svendsen_carp.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 0