What is this cavity for on Alpha 1 Gen 2 Lower Unit

halcrimm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I replaced the impeller and put the water pump housing back together but am unsure as to what the rectangle cavity is just aft of the housing where the water pump hose connects. As you can see in the picture there is still a little blue epoxy on the back side of the cavity. It is only about 3/4" deep. I watched a video on replacing the water pump impeller and it looked as though in the video that space was filled with epoxy.

Is there something that I should filling the cavity with or am I maybe missing pieces?
Thanks for your help
HalDSC00656.jpg

halcrimm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What is this cavity for on Alpha 1 Gen 2 Lower Unit

Don, Thanks. I stopped reading the manual when I was finished with the water pump. Am not ready to put the out drive back together. Should have turned the page.
I am assuming that I have the aluminum dam because the blue sealant was there. I did not remove any type of rubber plug and there was nothing else removed from that spot. I looked under the upper unit to see if something was stuck in there that resembled something the shape of the dam. So I guess back to part of my original question. Am I missing something?
I did read the manual a couple of times now. I see where the arrows point to aluminum dam and rubber filler plug but am still a little confused.
Just for my knowledge, what does this dam do anyway.
Hal

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since youhave the manual, look at page 3A-6. it shows the part in the upper housing.

It's all there to direct the exhaust off the water pump.

halcrimm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Don, i appreciate the help.
Have a great holiday weekend.
Hal