What is the effect of decreasing Prop diameter?

Styxbb

Recruit
I bought a '98 Chaparral 2130 last fall. The current prop on it is a beat up 14.5 x 19 aluminum. I have a 5.7 Mercruiser in the boat. The label says wot is between 4400-4800 rpms. Last fall it was pushing 4800 at full throttle. Boat was topping about 46 mph according to speedometer. I didn't know about the gps apps. Someone I know has a 14 x19 Stainless Mercury Mirage Plus with the hub kit he will sell me for a great price. My question is what effect will decreasing the diameter of the prop and switching to stainless have on the boat?

Thanks in advance.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
As pitch goes up then often the prop diameter is reduced.------The slower the boat ( think tugs ) then prop diameter is BIG so to speak.-----Water and air behave differently as speed goes up.----I would buy that prop if price is right and has correct hub diameter.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That motor is already revving at max wot rpm range factory stated, stay there, there's nothing to better unless wanting to add more passengers than when achieved 4800 wot rpm in which case will need to go for less prop pitches from current one.

Happy Boating

tpenfield

Staff member
Several changes all at once . . . Material, diameter, and the prop design itself.

As far as the diameter, lower diameter moves less water per revolution, requiring less power, so you may/should see the RPM go up.

However, . . . the change from aluminum to stainless is going to be big. Stainless will take more of a 'bite' and probably have less prop slip, which will consume more power and bring the RPMs down.

Best thing is to try it and see where it gets you in terms of speed & RPM.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Always a tough one to call. Old school rules on props usually say that going pitch to pitch like for like from ally to stainless will always drop your rpm a fair bit and gain some speed top end.
this can be true...but on the odd occasion, you can find that the stainless prop (especially if it’s a good one) can give you that much hull lift over the ally prop, that there is less resistance and drag to push through the water...then what can happen is the engine can occasionaly gain rpm over an ally prop. Of course gaining pace too.
mall depends on the prop really. The black max ally prop is an outstanding prop to be fair. Certainly in terms of ally props in general.
Id never be so bold as to assure anyone how a prop will perform on a boat and set up I don’t actually know or have seen or been on in person...but I do know that in most cases, mirage plus props and their often 1” more diameter over the usual of the same pitch...can be a handful to swing well or to best effect.
Id hazard a guess, that in your situation, you’d most likely drop rpm with the change over. But you have rpm to play with, given your current situation. Long story short...diameter can make a difference. No doubt about it. Especially going from ally same pitch to big stainless same pitch, but an inch more diameter. If your hull doesn’t take to the mirage plus, it may drop 200rpm or close...but if she does take to it...who knows. She could see the same rpm, but noticeable top end improvements and mid range cruising certainly.
So many Variables, it’s almost un fathomable on occasion.

LundAngler1650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You already have advice on the actual prop.
Something to Consider if you boat in places where a prop strike is possible, aluminum props tend to take the damage and transfer less strike load to your drive. Stainless props upon hitting something willbe less damaged themselves, but you do possibly risk damage to your drive more, than with the aluminum.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You already have advice on the actual prop.
Something to Consider if you boat in places where a prop strike is possible, aluminum props tend to take the damage and transfer less strike load to your drive. Stainless props upon hitting something willbe less damaged themselves, but you do possibly risk damage to your drive more, than with the aluminum.
To be honest...I really believe this is an often voiced opinion, that throws back to the 80’s when stainless props were hard splined to the shaft. It’s not really true these days.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Some did for sure. But the idea of stainless props not giving way and damaging a gearbox is an old wives tale from when they were hard splined. In most cases, for sure. It amazes me why this continues to be passed around. Hear it all the time. It’s just not a thing the way it used to be.
An ally prop will also often wreck itself so easily when a stainless prop exposed to the same occasion, would simply not be affected at all.
Baskcally...with a modern merc stainless prop with a flo torq hub kit...no way a gearbox is getting damaged...in terms of being any more vulnerable than the same strike suffered with an ally prop...worst case.

LundAngler1650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
For me, its because I have been asked to fix 3 who had a stainless prop, and 0 with aluminum props. Yet when I look around at the boats in my area, i would guess 90% have aluminum props on them. None of them were old, oldest was a 1998 Yamaha, also done a 2006 Mercruiser, and just last year a 2011 Volvo. So basing my comments on what I've seen customers bring me to be repaired. Not just because I personally use aluminum, and carry a spare prop with me.

Styxbb

Recruit
Ok, seller told me that the prop was a 14 x 19. I picked it up yesterday and it looked huge. I measured it, then looked up the part number engraved on it. It is actually a 15 1/4 x 19. To me, it seems that would definitely drop my wot. BUT, how big is too big. how much clearance do I need between the end of the blades and the outdrive(cavitation plate??)? Looks like I would only have about a 1/4 inch clearance.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
The mirage is a fairly big prop and yes will drop yiur rpms compared to the black max type aluminum. it will fit the alpha drive. Prop selction requires a lot of trials.

Styxbb

Recruit
FINALLY.....I got a chance to get the boat in the water and test out the prop. My 5.7 Mercruiser says WOT should be 4400-4800. With the prop described above, I'm more like 4000-4100 at WOT. So....this question is....Is this too much prop for my boat? Is this bad for my boat? Thanks

Earl Cordova

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like you now have too much prop for your boat.
Probably much slower getting up on plane and make it harder to get a skier up.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
FINALLY.....I got a chance to get the boat in the water and test out the prop. My 5.7 Mercruiser says WOT should be 4400-4800. With the prop described above, I'm more like 4000-4100 at WOT. So....this question is....Is this too much prop for my boat? Is this bad for my boat? Thanks
Won't hurt your boat a bit. Your engine is another story. It will put extra strain on it.