What is the best outdrive fins to buy to help plane

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me some opinions on what fins to buy for the out drive to help my boat plane out easier. I realize these fins probably have a specific name but there are thousands of types out there. I have a 21.5ft 1988 bayliner bow rider with a 5.0 Omc in it. It takes forever for the front to come down it seems like unless you just hammer it and then back way off. The "V" in the hull is so deep that you have to stand to see over the front at low speed. Any advice on this topic is welcome. Thanks Kep

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What is the best outdrive fins to buy to help plane

Check the Nauticus Smart Tabs postings in this forum and forget the fins. They work and they don't put any additional load on your O/D

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by sumcat:<br /> Check the Nauticus Smart Tabs postings in this forum and forget the fins. They work and they don't put any additional load on your O/D
I agree, tabs are much better than "fins". Nauticus Smart Tabs should work well on your boat.<br /><br />Another option would be the more expensive helm adjustable tabs (Bennett is the market leader).

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

The "fins" are more accurately called hydrofoils. Stingray and Doel Fin come to mind...there's other brands. <br /><br />Do a search on these forums for "hydrofoil" and you can read conflicting opinions about them until you hurl.<br /><br />They're basically a crutch for a poorly designed boat, and also a cheap and easy experiment. I bought one, hated it, took it off. However there are others here that say they really help. Totally depends on the boat. General agreement is that trim tabs of some form do much better, but cost much more. The only negative if you don't like the hydrofoil, is that you end up with 4 holes drilled in your lower unit...but they really don't effect anything and can be filled with JB Weld if they bother you.

danie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Doel Fins caused all types of handling problems including dangerous listing while cornering.<br />Threw them away and planning to import smart tabs with help from Nautijohn.<br />Second best is not good enough anymore.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I just installed Smart Tabs for exactly the reasons you stated. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Also used engine mounted fins in the past and besides slowing you down, they create other problems. Just go with Smart Tabs and be done with it. Great product.

LubeDude

Admiral

Cut the snacks, quit drinking beer, stop smoking, Quit snorting stuff up your nose, what ever you have to do to afford the smart tabs will be worth it. If you doint have any bad habbits, have a garage sale.

BillP

Captain

Better yet, get cockpit adjustable tabs...they are at the top of the food chain concerning trim performance. No matter what the conditions or loading you will be able to get the best trim on demand. By the way, I use a Doelfin on a 17' ob and it works great.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by BillP:<br /> Better yet, get cockpit adjustable tabs...they are at the top of the food chain concerning trim performance. No matter what the conditions or loading you will be able to get the best trim on demand.
Yes, if I had a boat that big I think I would opt for the adjustable tabs as well if I could come up with the money. Maybe a few less donuts a week would do it. :p

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey, thanks for the imput everybody. I will check out the smart tabs and go from there.

watered down

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about a lower pitched prop or 4 blade?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Watered down;<br /><br />Let me try to explain the difference between adjusting the hull shape to compensate for the speed, and acceleration (among other things), and using the prop to attempt the similar results. <br /><br />The common answer to acceleration (hole Shot), is to change the prop, either to a lower pitch and / or to more blades. This is essentially the same thing as changing gears in a car. It is similar to driving in second gear at all times (since a boat does not have more than one gear). Needless to say the acceleration out of the "Hole" will improve, however the gas consumption will also increase.<br /><br />How about thinking in terms of eliminating to "hole" so that there is no hole to climb out from. If you do this the prop can stay the same or it may be possible to increase the pitch.<br /><br />Adjusting the hull shape will provide a level attitude at nearly any speed, improve acceleration, reduce full consumption, improve the ride and handling just to mention a few advantages.<br /><br />TRIM TABS ADJUST THE HULL SHAPE to compensate for the conditions as they occur. It is a much better choice, and affords the possibility of an even more efficient prop change (increased pitch) for more fuel economy.

Trophy23

Seaman

I tried a Cobra SST fin on a boat and hated it. The lift was there, unfortunately it never goes away even with trimming until you slow your boat down from drag or bad trim angle and you will lose a lot of speed at cruise and WOT. <br />I have hydraulic tabs on a Trophy 2302. They work great, but are a little complicated when it comes time for repair or replacement and messy when servicing the fluid. They cost in the neighborhood of $500 and add $350 if you want them to work automatically. They do work well though, especially off shore. <br />I found a great deal on Smart Tabs and talked my brother into buying them for his boat (Bayliner Capri 1750 model) that had a definite bow up attitude out of the hole. John was great as we had to work around a badly angled transom and some swim steps to hook up the upper bracket. He sent me a different set of brackets at no additional cost. I plan on sending the original brackets back, but John never asked me to do it, he's just that kind of guy. They solved the nose problem and we lost no speed at WOT, may have gained a little. Very impressive results and service. <br />I even plan on trying them on the Trophy when the hydraulics go out. I'd like to set them up and forget them like my brother can on his boat. They will compensate for some load shifts without doing any resetting. I couldn't even see over the bow when raised up in the seat before, now I don't even have to move. <br />Anyway, I'd stay away from the hydrofoils and spend the little extra a set of tabs cost as you will be way happier and it will increase boat value. A lot of us look at motors with hydrofoils and just shake our heads. Yes they will get your bow down, but you will pay for that with other problems. Of course this is JMHO.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Trophy23;<br />As a matter of information for you and others with hydrolic or electric tabs. If and when it becomes necessary to repair them, we are now offering a conversion kit if you do not have the $$$ to replace major components. You retain the plates and simply remove the existing actuator and mount ours. Whatch for the conversion kit on iboats mega mall soon. Should be selling for under $125.00 per pair.

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a Doel-Fin on a 17 foot aluminum with a 28 hp outboard. It really needs that extra help to get up on plane. I've noticed no negative handling effects, but speeds are under 20mph. It actually stopped the boat from pulling to port at wot. My uncle has one on his 16 foot aluminum with a 30 hp on it which will do 35 at wot, and there are no negative handling effects. I'd try the hydrofoils first, because they're much cheaper. If you don't like the hydrofoil, take it off, fill the holes, and go buy yourself some trim tabs.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know why it is. But the light weight Aluminum boats always work perfectly with the bolt on fins. I/O's different game plan.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

AJ168;<br /><br />The negative effects usually occur at 26 MPH and up. <br /><br />If you used Smart Tabs you would most likely add about 5 MPH to your top speed, and getting on plane would be Twice as fast, with little or no bow rise