what is make and model?

fatlenny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
can anyone identify the make, model, year of this 14 ft fiberglass boat? there is no information via the MC numbers (unknown) and I cant locate any ID tag anywhere. I would like to be able to find the capacity and max HP outboard that can be applied.
1634251109907.png

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
can anyone identify the make, model, year of this 14 ft fiberglass boat? there is no information via the MC numbers (unknown) and I cant locate any ID tag anywhere. I would like to be able to find the capacity and max HP outboard that can be applied.
View attachment 351322
I would recommend common sense on this one.This is an extremely small boat with what looks like 2 seats.So lets be practical and say capacity 2.Depending on what the 2 occupants ate for breakfast I would see if it planes off and stick with that current hp.You are probably not looking to push the envelope but if you are..... be extremely careful because it just get more dangerous from there.Charlie

mr 88

Commander
More questions than answers. What's your goal ? Speed , reliability, cruising , pulling skiers , trolling , etc. Are you thinking 2 stroke vs heavier 4 stroke ,which will affect what you can hang as well. I can envision something like a classic Tower on it ( but not in the reliability class all things considered) . How strong is the transom ,is it rock solid ? Any knee braces on the transom or some sort of re-enforcement ? Is that a 15" or 20" transom , could install a jack plate if it's 15" to allow you the common 20 which I think is now referred to as a short shaft ..

fatlenny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
More questions than answers. What's your goal ? Speed , reliability, cruising , pulling skiers , trolling , etc. Are you thinking 2 stroke vs heavier 4 stroke ,which will affect what you can hang as well. I can envision something like a classic Tower on it ( but not in the reliability class all things considered) . How strong is the transom ,is it rock solid ? Any knee braces on the transom or some sort of re-enforcement ? Is that a 15" or 20" transom , could install a jack plate if it's 15" to allow you the common 20 which I think is now referred to as a short shaft ..
first goal is to know what i have. after that, my goal is to restore this little boat. would love to know original seating for this as well to make as original as i can. it is a winter project to keep me busy.

i dont know what i can do with it like pulling skiers or such without knowing the specs. i would like to make a sporty boat out of it as it (to me) looks cool as a classic boat. i have a 1986 bayliner bass boat that i am going to have to replace all flooring and hopefully not a transom for fishing in the works. this boat in question has a seemingly great running 1971 50hp johnson on it now. We are going to take it to the lake this weekend and do another test run WOT as i think i have the idle issues taken care of.

Transom is 20"

Last edited:

fatlenny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would recommend common sense on this one.This is an extremely small boat with what looks like 2 seats.So lets be practical and say capacity 2.Depending on what the 2 occupants ate for breakfast I would see if it planes off and stick with that current hp.You are probably not looking to push the envelope but if you are..... be extremely careful because it just get more dangerous from there.Charlie
thanks for the comment. Understood. i feel like i have seen 14 footers have seating for 4 people tho. this is why i want to know what i have to find the factory specs. along with i want to possibly do a restoration to as close to original as possible over the winter.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If the boat is legal and registered you should have paperwork that tells what it is. If not, you may have trouble registering it.

There should be a number embossed on the transom - top of starboard side. That will tell year and manufacturer. The boat does not look old enough to not have it. If the hull was repainted it may have somewhat covered the embossing. Look hard..

fatlenny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If the boat is legal and registered you should have paperwork that tells what it is. If not, you may have trouble registering it.

There should be a number embossed on the transom - top of starboard side. That will tell year and manufacturer. The boat does not look old enough to not have it. If the hull was repainted it may have somewhat covered the embossing. Look hard..
well this boat is now registered in my name with the year being 1977 (don't know if that is the correct year but was what was on the previous registration) and the make "UNKNOWN" It did take some time at the Michigan SOS to get it done. The transom was sanded and painted, I can see swirl marks in it, but see no sign of any model numbers in the proper location. The capacity plate is missing as well.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
well this boat is now registered in my name with the year being 1977 (don't know if that is the correct year but was what was on the previous registration) and the make "UNKNOWN" It did take some time at the Michigan SOS to get it done. The transom was sanded and painted, I can see swirl marks in it, but see no sign of any model numbers in the proper location. The capacity plate is missing as well.
Unless you intend on keeping the same paint, get some paint remover and strip a couple of feet of the upper right transom corner. It would have had to be very heavily sanded to remove any trace of the HIN.

Also, when you have a couple hours to spare, view the fiberglass boat section of fiberglassics.com and look at every single catalog from 1977 and thereabouts. You might just find it.

fatlenny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have this boat striped down. Down to the Hull is in the garage with the floor and all the foam removed, rotted transom and stringer removed, flipped over and all the paint removed down to the original gelcoat. I am finishing some repairs on the hull, and going to refinish before I bring in cap in to strip down and refinish.

Still no luck identifying this boat. I have found no numbers anywhere inside or out. inside the hull or anywhere under the cap. It is very frustrating looking for hours, no probably days at a computer screen looking for any boats that would be a match for what I have. I have found a few close to it, like some glastrons. but not exactly what I have. I have to assume it is a 1972 or older with no HIN number stamped into the transom. I think the only hope I have any more is just getting her done the way I want and some day maybe some one will tell me, "Hey that's a nice year 19** make/model *****"

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some older boats.... particularly smaller ones are just plain unidentifiable. I had the same issue with a 14 foot aluminum that I had.
Best you can do is guesstimate the year by the style and hardware and choose a known boat of the same size and weight to guesstimate maximum persons and horsepower.

Looking at the size of it though, I would guess a 50 horse to be a pretty wild and hairy ride.

I have an 18 foot aluminum with a merc 40 on it and it will pull up a skier on two skies. One ski is tough but doable. It was easier though just to pull up on two skis then circle back to the dock and drop one ski. Anyway, with a 50 on a smaller boat you certainly will pull skis.... although you may have to pull up on two skis and drop one off at the dock on first round as we used to do.

fatlenny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
"Some older boats.... particularly smaller ones are just plain unidentifiable."
understandable but you would think that mine is unique enough that it could be found.

Attachments

• 20211121_133440.jpg
    20211121_133440.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
understandable but you would think that mine is unique enough that it could be found.
have you gone thru the library on fiberglassics?

remember over the last 100 years, over 150,000 boat manufacturers have come and gone, many only building one or two boats. judging by the look of the boat, it pre-dates the internet by at least 2 decades. so unless there is a cult following or someone took the time to upload and support (as in pay to keep it) content. it may not be searchable except for sites like fiberglassics.

boat that small probably has a 350# rating and a 10hp-20hp rating (used the USCG calculations)

fatlenny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes. I have spent hours if not days going through every page of the fiberglass section. I used the calculator also and get 65hp max. I think you are missing the rest of the formula for other factors. The top of the formula you are seeing is for tillers. With remote steer and a 20" transom you take the length x width then multiply that sum by 2 and subtract 90. I also calculate just over 800 lbs. capacity but that is without motor, fuel, battery, cooler full of beer. So ya, probably just a 2 person boat as it would be down to around 550 lbs. +/- left at that point. I will mount 2 seats in the rear if we take the grandkids out, but I don't think I will be putting 4 adults in it.
hp calculator.PNG

Last edited:

SavinRaven

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Fat Lenny,
MOST of the time these types of smaller rigs are custom built. There are some old timers here in northern OH that made similar tunnel type boats for racing. Not sure on exact make but talking to some of these guys could help determine what all your rig is capable of. Looks like a fun project. Could be similar to a 1960 redfin if its on the mass produced boats. My grandfather had a tunnel boat with a 65hp 2 stroke outboard that was of similar size. Very scary he actually flipped it 15 ft in the air. So be careful in whatever your doing.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If that 50 HP motor which you already have powers that 14 footer boat nicely, stay with it....

Happy Boating

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes. I have spent hours if not days going through every page of the fiberglass section. I used the calculator also and get 65hp max. I think you are missing the rest of the formula for other factors. The top of the formula you are seeing is for tillers. With remote steer and a 20" transom you take the length x width then multiply that sum by 2 and subtract 90. I also calculate just over 800 lbs. capacity but that is without motor, fuel, battery, cooler full of beer. So ya, probably just a 2 person boat as it would be down to around 550 lbs. +/- left at that point. I will mount 2 seats in the rear if we take the grandkids out, but I don't think I will be putting 4 adults in it.
View attachment 354431
You should be okay with a 65. I wouldn't do anything more than that though. When I was younger, I had a 14 footer with closed bow and remote steer similar to what you have, and an evinrude 70 on it. The boat worked fine. The top end was a bit scary and hairy though on the windy days. Never had a speedo on it so I can't exactly tell you how fast she went but once you climbed to the top end you kind of got the general feeling that if you did one single thing wrong.....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you want to take the max out of that 50 HP motor, prop it right to run towards its max wot rpm range factory stated, will need to install a tach for that specific purpose.

Happy Boating

fatlenny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Fat Lenny,
MOST of the time these types of smaller rigs are custom built. There are some old timers here in northern OH that made similar tunnel type boats for racing. Not sure on exact make but talking to some of these guys could help determine what all your rig is capable of. Looks like a fun project. Could be similar to a 1960 redfin if its on the mass produced boats. My grandfather had a tunnel boat with a 65hp 2 stroke outboard that was of similar size. Very scary he actually flipped it 15 ft in the air. So be careful in whatever your doing.
so... can you point me in the direction of these old timers there in northern OH? you have any contacts?