What is considered NO WAKE?

freddyray21

Commander
Re: What is considered NO WAKE?

I am not familiar with your area so cannot comment. The Corp of Engineers website list 14 lakes of various sizes in MA, but I don't know all the information on them. I do know the law tends to favor or even demand public access when taxpayer money if used to maintain a lake. I am unaware in this area of any lake "going private" As I stated all of them I know of were private lakes to begin with. If I have the money and want to buy the land and build a lake (which you need permission to do anyway from the govt) then it is my right to keep it private if I want to.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Yes, I could do that, but a cop on your bad side is not a good thing. This town is the crossroads of 2 state highways and a very busy little town. I know this cop has seen me speed by more then once and hasn't even turned around.

You are starting to sound pretty hypocritical, now.

freddyray21

Commander

Was out on Lake Carlyle yesterday. At the west dam marina there is a large cove clearly marked with a big sign going in "no wake entire cove" and there are no wake buoys as well. It's a popular place to raft up and swim. We were heading in there and coming out was a fishing boat with a 25 hp motor just plowing. As he got closer to us I said loudly "I guess no wake doesn't apply to everyone." he idled down then said he didn't realize it was a no wake zone. Unless someone else brought the boat in and he took it out he would have had to see the sign going in. That is a possibility as there is a campground back there so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

LTP

Seaman Apprentice

actually alot of lakes are privately owned,
alot of the resort communities that are on lakes tend to be private
Lake Arrowhead, near big bear, is private,
you can't even technically have access to the lake at all unless you own property that is within the designated boundries. even when fishing from the shore you are suppose to have your Lake Arrowhead Association card on you

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know this is probably not the point anymore, but I took a Boater Safety Course with my son. I figured it would help him pay attention more and make sure that he actually learned. I have to admit I learned a lot too.

In Wisconsin. No wake says as slow as you can go while still being able to steer and remain in control.

This can be a problem since, my 14' John with 7.5 HP can go incredibly slow and still maintain control. We ran into this issue just over a week ago.

We were in a pontoon on a narrow part of the river between lakes on the Manitowish chain. The water is at least 22" low so there really is no room to pass. Behind us, was a huge boat. His slow no wake speed was at least twice ours. We had to go faster than no wake to make sure he could still maintain control. With the wind, he could not just stop and wait for us to go.

No regulation can take into account all situations. Common sense needs to be used. Unfortunately some people have little common sense or more likely, forget to use it.

Overall, I see more safe and courteous boaters than bad ones. I have to say the bad ones are more memorable.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Around here, if you can see "whitewater" rolling off your sternwave you will probably get a ticket.