What is a troll ?

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
I always thought troll was a demon who lived under bridges and jumped out and got you when you tried to cross. I am always leery when crossing bridges on foot cuz I know they are under there..... just waiting. What is a forum troll anyway?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: What is a troll ?

My definition is a post that makes your blood pressure rise due to someones attempt to stir the kettle with BS.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Trolls" are people (or posts) that make use of a discussion forum the same way public bathroom walls are used by some for graffiti. These posts are sometimes malicious and inflammatory, racist, sexist, insulting - anything that can disrupt a discussion thread and turn attention to the troll. If you are new to these forums, and you should happen on a post that fits this description (believe me, they'll usually be quite obvious), the safest thing for you to do is to wait and see how more experienced posters respond. Chances are good that someone will leave a little "no content" message saying "troll", or something like that. And that will be the sum total of the response. The reason we don't let ourselves get baited into responding is because that's exactly what the troll wants. The entire purpose of these posts is to cause a maximum amount of mischief, and turn people away from the flow of normal dialog (and sometimes turn one person against another). If you don't feel compelled to respond to the scribblings you see in public bathrooms, then you should feel equally at ease about ignoring this type of post, too. Just ignore it, and go about your business having fun talking to everybody. :)

ehenry

Commander

I, too, thought they were little, ugly gnomes that lived under bridges and such !!

treedancer

Commander

Thanks sbn you made that really clear I am rather new to posting in in fact this is the first forum I have posted on it gets rather hairy at times especially on dockside.<br /> I am a Ham radio operator it gets that way on the air at times also.<br /> Seems as troll is a good discription.

SpinnerBait_Nut

td, if it has to do with politics or oil, stay away from it, cause it will get ugly in a hurry.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

It is called a troll, beacause you are out crusing the message boards, and use inflammatory posts for bait, hopeing someone will bite.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

Someone that posts a particular topic KNOWING it will create turmoil.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> td, if it has to do with politics or oil, stay away from it, cause it will get ugly in a hurry.
Or Bayliners....<br /><br />Oops... that was a troll...<br /><br /> ;) ;P<br /><br />Sean

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

It seems that if someone makes a post that one person doesn't like then he's immediately called a troll by that person. I thought this forum was to talk about anything... express your thoughts. Why then should one be called a troll when he/she expresses his view on something a bit controversial?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by ae708:<br /> It seems that if someone makes a post that one person doesn't like then he's immediately called a troll by that person. I thought this forum was to talk about anything... express your thoughts. Why then should one be called a troll when he/she expresses his view on something a bit controversial?
Because we can. :p :D :D

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

A little "trolling" can be beneficial in creating civil discussion on a forum, there are times the pot of complacency needs to be stirred not shaken, on the negative side there are those who troll to insult anothers intellect, such an individual aught to be tortured.

baja power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by eeboater:<br />
Originally posted by SBN:<br /> td, if it has to do with politics or oil, stay away from it, cause it will get ugly in a hurry.
Or Bayliners....<br /><br />Oops... that was a troll...<br /><br /> ;) ;P<br /><br />Sean
lmao :D

woodrat

Ensign

Well, at least last fall, when I was last accused of trolling here, a troll was any post or person making a post that rankled, irritated or offended the dominant conservative majority.<br /><br />Making posts that seem outrageous, offensive or asinine to any of the rest of us, by definition is not considered "trolling".<br /><br /> :rolleyes: ;)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> It is called a troll, beacause you are out crusing the message boards, and use inflammatory posts for bait, hopeing someone will bite.<br /><br />Ken
Yah, it's like KIZ says only after the "bite" they hope for a good fight........like trolling when yer fishing.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

What Ken said:<br />It’s also called baiting, or storefront issues. One will bring up a topic to with the intention of drawing the other party into a debate. Storefront issues are topics that play on ones emotions with the intent to recruit the other party to their cause or to their side. Some examples would be Gun control, Patriotism, Abortion, and Religion. And some just plain need controversy in their dysfunctional life

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I was out crusing in the Bayliner, the best boat ever, and stopped by the marina to get some oil and they only carried OMC oil. That is the worst possible oil and I will defend it to the death. He said if I wanted any other oil, I should cruise down to the local bait shop. I told him I wouldn't support that conservative nutjob wacko who run the shop if my life depended on it. So I decided to call it a day.<br /><br /> Oh ya trolls are the ugly creatures under the bridge.<br /><br /><br /> ;)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Here is an example:<br /><br />Not a troll: I think gun control is a bad idea, what are your thoughts<br /><br />A troll: All these left wing gun control idiots need to take their laws and cram it.<br /><br />See the difference?<br /><br />Ken

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

trollblw.gif