What is a Siamese port?

Roman S

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Received a response from Eddie Marine on their Exhaust manifolds. They replied that it will work as long as the engine has siamese ports? What is a sianese port?
Thanks Roman

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is a Siamese port?

What we working on???
An intake system construction for an internal combustion engine having a generally straight first intake port, a generally helical second intake port, both intake ports opening to one combustion chamber, and a common intake passage for supplying fuel-air mixture to the two intake ports. A control valve is fitted in the first intake port for selectively throttling the first intake port at low load operation of the engine, and a deflection valve is fitted in the commmon intake passage for selectively constricting intake flow through the common intake passage to deflect the flow toward the second intake port and away from the first intake port at low load operation of the engine, so that fuel accumulation on the cotrol valve closed at low load operation of the engine is avoided. I think!!!J

Roman S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. You are right, not enough definition. Does a 350 5.7L GM Marine engine have siamese ports?
Thanks Roman

Bondo

Staff member

Received a response from Eddie Marine on their Exhaust manifolds. They replied that it will work as long as the engine has siamese ports?

Ayuh,.... I'd like to know what the Question was,..??

a70eliminator

Captain

I have heard of siamesed cylinder engine blocks, mostly a drag racing thing where the cylinders have no water jackets between them making for a very strong block. Was he maybe saying NO in form of sacasm?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I think you guys are making this too complicated. Isn't a siamese port simply one that is next to another. In other words, on a small block Chevy, the middle two exhaust ports are "siamesed" together. Like this:

350_180CylinderHead.jpg

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

In my limited knowledge I have been led to believe that "siamesed ports" were ones that were back to back with a single THIN wall between that ended usually below the mounting surface of the manifold......not sure that helped.....anyway the manifold that serves those "siamesed ports" is one large hole that covered both so the exhaust from both is basically mixing right out of the head.....had several old Austins that were built that way.....cyl 2 and 3 fed one combined branch of the manifold and the exhaust was common.......unfortunatley my experience with SBC's mostly ended in about 1976 so cannot really remember if I saw any of those or not.......if this didn't help it will surely add to the confusion.......just sayin'

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Received a response from Eddie Marine on their Exhaust manifolds. They replied that it will work as long as the engine has siamese ports? What is a sianese port?
Thanks Roman

I may be wrong here, but since Eddie Marine made the statement, why not ask them what they mean ????????
It may very well be some local slang term they use and don't realize others outside their area don't have a clue what they are talking about.

ChrisCraftJohnny

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fishermark is correct. A siamesed port is one that is directly next to another port. There will always be a wall between them. They are not connected.

CCJohnny

ChrisCraftJohnny

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don,

I remember in my hot rod days learning this term. I never heard it used any other way before. I believe I also read about it in a internal comustion engine book I read when I was a teenager. Great book. It was out of the 1970's but the descriptions and illustrations were great. I learned quite a bit from that book.

But you are right, oh swammy of sea-crafts! He could have meant those people in the Guiness Book Of World Records.

CCJohnny