what is a carbine opposed to a rifle

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: what is a carbine opposed to a rifle

And that's the oft not recognized symptom of "muzzle flash." Most of muzzle flash is wasted energy. If you gots lots of it, either your barrel is too short or your powder is too slow (within pressure constraints).

crab bait

Captain

so basicly,, a carbine is a carbine copy of it's big brother rifle..<br /><br />yeah, i had me a single shot carbine shotgun onetime.. homemade of coarse. :) ..<br /><br />who can name the whole platoon..? ( i can )

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by crab bait:<br /> so basicly,, a carbine is a carbine copy of it's big brother rifle..<br /><br />yeah, i had me a single shot carbine shotgun onetime.. homemade of coarse. :) ..<br /><br />who can name the whole platoon..? ( i can )
What about carbines that don't have a big brother?<br /><br />I think carbines originated as short long arms for cavalry and dragoons, but that doesn't explain the term for the past three quarters of a century.<br /><br />Platoon names. <br /><br />Little John?<br /><br />Frenchy?<br /><br />Can't remember Morrow's character apart from he was a platoon sergeant.<br /><br />That's the best I can do.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You guys know waaaaay too much about guns! :D

achris

ok, the whole cast was:<br /><br />Rick Jason as Lt Gil Hanley<br />Vic Morrow as Sgt Chip Saunders<br />Pierre Jalbert as Caje Lemay<br />Jack Hogan as Will Kirby<br />**** Peabody as Littlejohn (Use short form of 'Richard'. Stupid software ****ed it out!)<br />Steven Rogers as Doc Walton<br />Shecky Greene as Private Braddock<br />Tom Lowell as Billy Nelson<br /><br />Any other questions?

Tinkerer

Originally posted by crab bait:<br /> an why would one choose over the other.?
Not sure if this ever got answered.<br /><br />Carbines as cut down versions of 20th century military rifles were made and used because they weighed less which matters a lot on extended operations where you carry everything you're going to need for a long time; the shorter length made them more practical in confined spaces like jungles and urban areas where snap shooting is the norm rather than carefully aimed shots at hundreds of yards; and the loss of accuracy over the rifle didn't matter for shorter range shooting in confined areas where there was no difference in accuracy. <br /><br />I have a suspicion that some carbines were also designed for rear area troops who might need occasional defensive weapons but didn't need the full might of a rifle. I seem to recall that that that was one of the reasons for the M1 or some other WWII US weapon.<br /><br />When raw materials and manufacturing capacity are fully stretched it also makes sense to save a few inches of gunmetal on each of a few million weapons.

crab bait

Captain

checkmate king 2 ..this is white roake ,over.. <br /><br />yes ACHRIS..i see that you pulled that answer right out of your head.. :) <br /><br />but if'n you were really a major fan an watched every episode.. you'd know that 'SARGE's first name was 'skip'..

achris

Hi CB,<br /><br />Try this site and you'll see that his name was CHIP, not SKIP. And yes, I watched most of the episodes. I was only 9yo at the time!<br /><br /> Internet Movie Database : Combat (1962)<br /><br />Chris...........

Tinkerer

The character's given name might have been Chip but maybe his troops called him Skip, as in Skipper?<br /><br />Seems more likely to be Skip than a given name as an informal acknlowledgement of rank.<br /><br />Or maybe they always called him Sarge?<br /><br />We need a video of an episode to resolve it.

achris

I actually think CB's hearing was a bit off, Chip could sound like Skip to the un-informed.... The credits always rolled with him being creditted as 'Chip'....<br /><br />Also the term 'Skip' is used in the Navy, not the foot-sloggers these guys were.<br /><br />c............

crab bait

Captain

your exactly right again.. i used 'skip' to see if anyone really knew an would say so.. <br /><br />CHIP was sargent saunders first name.. <br /><br />one of the early episodes he got a letter from his mother .. he read in silence but the voice of his mother read the words..

achris

Do I hear the sound of pedals going backwards? :D

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br />Actualy JB, a carbine is less powerfull that it's longer cousin. Barrel length is part of the equation for total gas pressure generated before the projectile leaves the muzzel. The longer the barrel, the higher the gas pressure, therefore the higher the muzzel velocity, greater accuracy and higher foot pound impact. (that is to say, up to the point of diminishing returns)<br /><br />My dad has an ancient .69 calibre carbine that uses caps. It was a calvery rifle, and packs a wallup of recoil. [/QB]
Sorry, SW, I gotta call you on this...total BS!<br /><br />The longer the barrel, the longer the pressure has to act on the projectile thereby increasing velocity. Said pressure is totally independent of barrel length. <br /><br />Pressure is dependent upon the amount of propellant and its burning rate, the dimensions, composition, construction, and sectional density or weight of the projectile, and the dimensions of the case from which the projectile is fired, as well as the chamber of the firearm in which the cartridge is fired. <br /><br /><br />-dd-

Stumpknocker

How did this post get so intellectual? Going into quantum physics next? I'm only able to absorb so much techno jargon and still stay awake. Please put this stuff in laymens terms.....<br /><br /><br />Lets c. You pull the trigger.... it goes boom.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by dogsdad:<br />
The longer the barrel, the higher the gas pressure, therefore the higher the muzzel velocity, greater accuracy and higher foot pound impact.
Sorry, SW, I gotta call you on this...total BS!<br /><br />The longer the barrel, the longer the pressure has to act on the projectile thereby increasing velocity. Said pressure is totally independent of barrel length. <br /><br />Pressure is dependent upon the amount of propellant and its burning rate, the dimensions, composition, construction, and sectional density or weight of the projectile, and the dimensions of the case from which the projectile is fired, as well as the chamber of the firearm in which the cartridge is fired. <br /><br /><br />-dd- [/QB]
All other things being equal, a longer barrel in any rifled firearm is more accurate than a shorter one because the extra length rotates the projectile more before it leaves the barrel, thus making it more stable in flight for a longer distance.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

So, when I took my semi-auto shotgun and cut the stock to be pistol grip style, and cut the barrel down to 4" so the whole gun is about 12" long, this is a carbine?<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />Just kidding. <br /><br />Did I mention I have a black trench coat? :D :D :D

Tinkerer

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> So, when I took my semi-auto shotgun and cut the stock to be pistol grip style, and cut the barrel down to 4" so the whole gun is about 12" long, this is a carbine?<br />
You should have read the "how to make a carbine" instructions first. :D <br /><br />Carbines are commonly shorter than a rifle by roughly 4". They don't have a 4" barrel. Some pistols barrels are longer than 4".<br /><br />At a 4" barrel on a shotgun, you just made a hand-held Claymore mine.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Tinkerer:All other things being equal, a longer barrel in any rifled firearm is more accurate than a shorter one because the extra length rotates the projectile more before it leaves the barrel, thus making it more stable in flight for a longer distance.
And once again, I gotta say "BS!" The perception of increased accuracy due to extra barrel length is often due to increased sight radius (when using open sights). When a scope is used, inherent accuracy of a barrel---and the entire firearm---becomes easier to discern. When open sights are used, increased sight radius makes precise aiming easier, but barrel length per se has little to do with overall accuracy.<br /><br /><br />-dd-