What I want my govt to do about gas prices

Ralph 123

Captain
Re: What I want my govt to do about gas prices

Amen JB. I also want them to build more refineries which is really the source of the problem since we have been unable to build a new one since the 1970s. I also want a nationwide standard for gas. All these local requirements puts pressure on the refineries and distribution network. I want to see more Nuclear power plants so that we can use less fossil fuel to generate electricity.<br /><br />Finally, I want to see the wind-farm off Nantucket so all the beautiful people who have prevented us from drilling, building refineries and nuclear power plants and the wind-farm off Nantucket have a daily reminder of the consequences of their advocacies.

KaGee

Admiral

Finally, I want to see the wind-farm off Nantucket so all the beautiful people who have prevented us from drilling, building refineries and nuclear power plants and the wind-farm off Nantucket have a daily reminder of the consequences of their advocacies.<br />
Oh yea, that will happen sometime soon! :rolleyes: NIMBY!

Ralph 123

Captain

All the beautiful people like Kerry and Walter Cronkite and the whole bunch are fighting it tooth and nail because they say it will spoil their view of the Cape!

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You could of course drive a car with a modern engine that does 30mpg , or even a lexus SUV with a hybrid engine and get 80mpg on a run. Reduce demand and the cost will fall, reduce your consumption and you get cleaner air and more money to spend on other things.

ZmOz

Captain

The problem with the "enviro wackos" is not that they're trying to keep the air clean, but they're trying to control every aspect of pollution. They don't seem to have any common sense, and make all kinds of stupid laws about emissions and gasoline, which often don't make any sense to any reasonable person...with absolutely no thought about what these things will do to other people or the economy. :rolleyes:

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Chris Myers:<br />or even a lexus SUV with a hybrid engine and get 80mpg on a run.
Those tiny little deathtrap hybrids only get around 50mpg in real life...there's no way an SUV is going to get 80. (unless you charge the batteries from the grid, which wouldn't really be 80mpg either)

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok, lets says 270hp and gets 40mpg around town it gets 36mph in UK which is loads of stop start and when stationary emits no fumes. At $3.00 a gallon its very very cheap motoring. My point is why waist fuel running loads of cubic inches in a 1950's designed engine to get less bhp than a 2.0 jap engine. Its also not what I would call tiny either unless your 300Lbs :) <br /><br />The essence of my post is rather than always look at drilling more oil to make it cheaper look at ways to make the finite resource last longer your kids may thank you for it

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Chris, its simple economics. Those gas sucker SUVs are cheap to build, and they charge a butt load of cash for them, which equals $$$$$. It costs a lot more money to R&D a new vehicle than to slap fuel injection on an outmoded design and call it good. I think the most laughable thing I saw was an article on GMs hybrid 1/2 ton pickup that gets an amazing 16 mpg. My ten year old Ford 1/2 ton gets 18 mpg, without all the gee-wiz.<br /><br /> What we need here is small diesel engines. It seems to work everywhere else in the world. Granted, diesel emmisions are difficult to sort out, but we really need a change. That change is not going to happen unless we as American consumers make it happen. <br /><br />If we want better transportation, we need to quit buying these vehicles that are so wasteful. I know I say it over and over, but Mom does not need a Suburban to take the kids to soccer. Mom WANTS the suburban so she can look just like the other moms. <br /><br />In the meantime, we just have to change our habits. When I see some knothead flooring his gas sucker from the stoplight just to have to slow down for the car in front of him, I just shake my head. If they want to charge $4 a gallon, let them. My bike is hanging in the garage, and town is less than two miles away....

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reduce consumption and prices will fall. Increasing production can also help, but it can be reduced by the oil companies to reduce supply(Like OPEC does) and drive prices up. Looking into buying a motorcycle/scooter for the warmer months. My car gets 20 city/28 highway a small cc motorcycle/scooter can get up to about 100mpg. The insurance on them is cheap too. Honda has a 250cc motorcycle for msrp $3099.

Homerr

Commander

Yep.. been thinking about the same Mrloring... Getting a crotch-rocket.<br /><br />The only thing that scares me about that is... People in cars don't look out for bikes.<br /><br />And on another note... I just paid my boat off... and now I can't afford to put gas in it!<br /><br /><br />LOL!!<br /><br />H.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

There has been an increase in motorcycle use in my area, and they are getting in accidents right and left. Part of it is inexperienced riders, but a lot of it is cars just plain not paying attention. I too have considered the motorcycle route, probably an on/off road multi use deal with modest displacement. Those older Hondas run forever on a tank of gas and are cheap...

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

PW2,<br /><br />Can't disagree with the position that saving fuel is going to have to be an imperative in the next decade. Reformulated fuels have created more problems than they have solved. Can you say MBTE?<br /><br />I will even say that recycling is something that I will make an extra effort to manage. I really have had a change of view on some of these conservation issues, not so with regards to the global warming farse, or the oil company conspiracy theories. Not even interested in hearing about government regulation. But look at the changes in buying patterns when gas went up just 1 buck. The market will fill the gap.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I want the govt to send me a fuel voucher. and to deliver it to the porch. would not want to put extra miles on my H2 hummer to actually go to the post office and pick it up. they can send a voucher for free electricity as well so I can run my AC when I am gone to keep my cats cool. and maybe if they partnered up I could get a free meat,chese and beer voucher. maybe then I could retire and hang out on the sofa on the front porch and watch the washing machine run.