What I want my govt to do about gas prices

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Suspend some or (preferably all) of the federal gasoline tax...finance it by delaying implentation of the recently-passed federal highway spending bill.<br /><br />what good is a highway if you can't afford to drive on it?

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What I want my govt to do about gas prices

Agree 100%. <br /><br />But it will never happen. Because regardless of party lines, government looks out for itself first and foremost.

Braxton

Chief Petty Officer

good point indeed.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

They will never cut their own throats, they have campaign money paybacks to give out.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I want them to open oil-rich public land for exploration and drilling.<br /><br />Grade three math: More oil, lower price.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I'm in agreement with all of the above, the world market is awash in crude oil, what we desperatly need the most are refineries, also get rid of the many state regulations that requires too many different blends of gasoline, have one federal standard.

LubeDude

Admiral

Quit selling most of Alaska oil to Japan, let them get it from the Saudies.<br /><br />Take over Mexico and steal there oil.<br /><br />Take all of Iracs oil so the Libs can say, "I told ya so"!

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think they can do that lube.<br /><br />The pipeline was financed by the Japs, built with Jap steel so they deserve it. Think the Exxon Valdez was headed for L.A.? More likely Tokyo.<br /><br />We have the ability to use our hydrogen nuclear arsenel to take out Mexico and the Middle East in one swoop. Would take care of not having to deal with the social problems that we deal with in Iraq today.<br /><br />Why does the USA have to clean up the mistakes of the past that England, France created. We are the new world order, Strike while we have the ability. Lets hit N. Korea too!

txswinner

Banned

We do need to open up the oil fields in Alaska, use good envirnomental efforts in doing so and pump the oil. No question that it can be done with little or no effect on wildlife.

gonefishie

Commander

They would never cut back on gas taxes, how would they finance that STUPID war in the middle east? and policing everyone else in the world.<br />We can't just blown out or take over anybody but can definetely just worry about our damn self. Quit being big brother and just issue a warning to the rest of the world: Even just one of you f..ck with us, the rest of your country will be wipe off the face of earth. (highly unlikely but just a thought)

D

DJ

I agree with opening the supply/exploration/drilling.<br /><br />There are other issues though.<br /><br />1. Stop the ridiculous "blends" by market. Dang it, PICK ONE!<br /><br />2. Build more refineries. Other than taxes, distribution costs are killing us.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

some good ideas here, all long-term...but I'm talkin bout right now. Suspend the taxes for six months.<br /><br />he!!, nobody'll notice if highway construction gets pushed back a few months, it'll just be business as usual!

ZmOz

Captain

I like the idea oregon is testing now. Every time you fill up a computer tells them how many miles have driven at every fillup, and charges taxes accordingly. With this system you wouldn't have to pay road taxes on boat/lawnmower/bonfire/bomb fuel. There's certainly no reason I should spend 6x the road tax in my truck that gets 8mpg as a hybrid that gets 50mpg. :rolleyes:

PW2

Commander

Even GW called for people to conserve fuel <br /><br />Unless rationing is implemented, the only effective way of doing it letting the market do it. Artificially lowering the prices, like lowering the gas taxes, would simply made a bad problem worse.<br /><br />Suspending the EPA's rules will help for a short time, but the fuel formulation is done for a reason, and this should not be viewed as a long term solution. And each area of the country has different circumstances they are dealing with--I think a one size fits all solution will be overkill for some areas, and inadequate for others long term.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

"but the fuel formulation is done for a reason,"<br /><br />largely the reason is to appease the enviro wackos. additionally, the corn lobby has its financial interests at stake. science is proving that ethanol blends do nothing to reduce emissions. what does reduce emissions is scheduled vehicle maintenance.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree with EF. What we desparately need is a few more oil refineries. The one that we have today are almost at full capacity which was build like 20 years ago and with todays new technology and NEW refineries more product can be produce with a barrel of oil than with old technology. The amount of vehicle have doulbe or triple since the last refinery was build and we have to keep up with time to be able to supply for the hugh increase. <br />Automobile manufacturer isn't helping a whole either becuase they build car and truck and SUV with very high gas consumption. What they can do is to go back to the drawing board and come up with vehicle that can drive at 50 mpg. If this were to happen then there would not be a reason for gas shortage. <br />As you all know, if this were to be the case then the Executives of these car company cannot have their Millions dollars salary and bonus payment and retirement plans etc... SUCKS! doesn't it....

PW2

Commander

The enviro-wackos are the ones that are pushing the standards that allow one to breathe the air down in places like Los Angeles and Chicago.<br /><br />Having breathable air may not be important to you, but it is for many other people.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> The enviro-wackos are the ones that are pushing the standards that allow one to breathe the air down in places like Los Angeles and Chicago.<br /><br />Having breathable air may not be important to you, but it is for many other people.
If only that were true PW. Their agenda goes way beyond "clean air".

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

PW2, forgive my geographical ignorance, but are you on the upper penninsula?<br /><br />Reason I ask is that, being up there where the air is actually breathable, you may not realize that clean air isn't just a cause for wackos with too much time on their hands...lotsa people in cities like Houston and Dallas and Los Angeles and Atlanta and Chicago are actually having to curtail their outdoor activities on high-ozone days.<br /><br />Point being, don't be too quick to poo-poo clean-air initiatives on account of the enviro-nazis.<br /><br />That said, my opinion, we're in crisis here and it ain't lookin to get better--if that means government incentives or relaxing standards for new refineries, I'm behind it 100%.<br /><br />Meanwhile, GIVE ME SOME FUEL TAX RELIEF, please!<br /><br />btw, most states have a refund procedure for off-road gasoline, but it involves keeping your receipts.