What hours for engine re-build?

boxer156

Cadet
I have a 496HO and people on the lake were telling me at least the top-end should get re-built at around 300 hours, and a full re-build at 500 hours. Mine has 322, but it runs great with no problems whatsoever--do I need to re-build at the end of this season?

I don't see the need unless something is wrong with the engine--or is this more 'preventative'?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What hours for engine re-build?

people on the lake were telling me at least the top-end should get re-built at around 300 hours, and a full re-build at 500 hours.

I wouldn't waste my time listening to them any more. You don't rebuild by hours, you rebuild by the amount of wear (compression and leakdown testing of the engine).
I know of several big blocks with well over 3000 hours that are going strong.

jkust

Rear Admiral

That doesn't hold water with me. 200 hours is just getting things going and 300 hours is nothing. What are you doing with this boat? Just a pleasure boat?

boxer156

Cadet

Just pleasure-boating.......it didn't sound right to me, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something

boxer156

Cadet

oh, and I just had it compression-tested, and it came back great. Didn't do (or know) what a leakdown test is, so maybe I'll get that at the end of the season.