What horsepower motor to use on light weight 14' aluminum boat?

77buzzer

Cadet
I was wondering what size outboard motor to use on my 14' harbercraft aluminum boat? The boat is pretty light, probably 165lb-180lb range and I bought it off a guy who used to put on top of his canopy on his truck. My boat has a 15" transom and like I said it is pretty light weight and probably comparable to a 14' starcraft. I has some back issues so I was thinking of a 9.9hp 2 stroke but I wonder if that is enough power when I'm with 3 people in the boat. I will mainly be fishing with 3 people maybe 4 in lakes and dropping off crab nets sometimes. My outboard will be stored indoors but the boat out doors so I wanted something light that I can take on and off. I' also considering a 15hp but the lightest I can find are the late model yamaha's which weigh 79lbs. I have been thinking off a 9.9 yamaha, mercury or mariner or a 9.8hp nissan or tohatsu. Anybody know what motor I should get and what name brand? Any info would be great as I'm pretty much a newbee and haven't had a boat sinced I was a kid. Thx

kfa4303

Banned
Re: What horsepower motor to use on light weight 14' aluminum boat?

HI 77. Welcome to iboats. I think anything between 9.9-20 hp would work well, but I wouldn't go much over that unless you're sure the transom can handle it. I run a '66 20 hp Johnson on my 14 tin boat and love it. The 18 hp Johnson/Evinrude, is another very popular combo to use on a 14' tinny. Here's the official USCG hp rating guidelines.

View attachment USCG HP rating guide.pdf

eavega

Lieutenant

I had a 10 HP johnson on the back of a 14' Valco. That boat couldn't weigh more than 150 Lbs because I could carry it by myself. I wasn't really happy at how it ran. It wouldn't plane the boat out with just me on it. Of course, I used to weight about 300 Lbs, and would carry a trolling motor with a humongous deep cycle battery, so I could've probably had the boat overloaded :) . Also, the 10 HP was a 1960 Johnson Seahorse, so it might've been a little tired.
I upgraded to a 20 HP, and that was really the best of both worlds. The 1967 20 HP Johnson was light enough for me to carry one-handed, but would move the boat pretty quick (almost too quick if you had the wind at your back), at about 25 MPH by GPS.
Notwithstanding a proper capacity plate on the boat, I wouldn't go any higher than a 20 HP.
If I remember correctly, the Valco was rated for a 25 HP max.

Good luck

Rgds

RonJon24

Seaman

I recently bought a 14 v-hull for fishing with my family. It came with a 7.5 merc, and after tuning the motor the best I could get was 7/8 mph. I sold that motor and bought a 15hp yamaha and I am getting 23/24 mph. I'd highly recommend at least a 15, but that is probably large enough. I am the same... Store the motor in the garage and the aluminum boat outdoors.

You can make a boat motor rack with wheels fairly easy, that would decrease the distance you had to carry the motor to a couple feet, thus saving your back. I'd highly recommend it no matter what size motor you choose.

77buzzer

Cadet

It looks like I should be looking for a 15hp 2 stroke. A friend at work told me a 9.8hp nissan should be good because they have a bit more pull and get up then other 9.9hp 2 strokes. The guy who sold me the boat and trailer was also selling a 2009 15hp 2 stroke weighing 79lbs with about 20hrs on it but he wants $2000 firm as he payed $3000 plus tax new. I didn't buy it because of the price and I thought it was a bit heavy. Anyone know any 15hp 2 strokes that are light weight and better bang for your buck. Or maybe 9.9hp 2 stroke can be converted to 15hp?

RonJon24

Seaman

I bought my 2003 yamaha for $1000, and I think that was a good deal in this market. Here, you see older 9.9-15 for $650-$1000 on craiglslist. I know there is a 2000 15 Johnson for $1000 in atl. Looks like an awesome motor. I think he is a little high at $2000, but not way high. What brand is it. You can buy a brand new Mercury for like $2300, but it would be a 4 stroke and heavy. Most 2 cycles are $2300-$2700, why was his $3000? He may be rounding up :) I think his motor is worth $1600-$1800 depending on the brand and the market... And condition of course. Sometimes the unused motors with low hours are worse than the used ones.

Make sure you run it before you buy it. I'd also look at the compression, foot oil color as well.

Thanks

77buzzer

Cadet

Alot harder to find 15hp up here in Vancouver, BC Canada. I looked on yamaha Canada website and it said the motor $3400 canadian list price so I don't think he is lying. Can find really old evinrude 15hp for $650-$900 but that it on craigslist right now.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

15's are hard to find b/c they are popular and easy to store; most people would rather keep it in the corner of the garage than sell it. Look for a whole rig.

We have a 14' jon at a hunt club, and found a 25 was too fast for the younger or inexperienced operators, so when it died, we dropped to a 15. Since the 14' is the boat most children grow up with, who is using it is a consideration. It's good to have something you can just turn a 13 year old loose in (when they are big enough to pull start it, they are big enough to drive.)

eavega

Lieutenant

I know there is a 2000 15 Johnson for $1000 in atl. Looks like an awesome motor. I think he is a little high at $2000, but not way high.

There is a guy trying to sell a 1960 10 HP Johson on the ATL craigslist for $450. I told him he was being a little proud of a 50+ year-old motor. People are pricing the smaller HP motors mighty high here in the ATL area right now.

-Rgds

Last edited:

RonJon24

Seaman

Yes they are eavega... I've been watching that ATL market... and they have been selling. goodness. I felt lucky to get the 2003 15 yammie for $1000. Especially being a 2 stroke. Idealy, I'd love to have a couple different sizes for different lakes and purposes, but not at these prices.

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 14' Valco has a 1997 9.9hp Force on it. I weigh almost 300 lbs and it will plane and run about 20 mph according to my gps. If I add another 300 pounder it struggles to get on plane. If the guy is 200lbs or less it will plane no problem.

77buzzer

Cadet

I think I will be looking for a 15-20hp 2 stroke motor. I looked at a yamaha 15hp 2 stroke ss early 90's but it was spray painted camo and he wanted a $1000 firm for it. It had a fresh tuneup and carb clean and was completely gone through, just really ugly. Also going to see a 1996 yamaha 2 stroke 20hp ss for $1300firm and a 18hp 1994 nissan 2 stroke ss for $1500(but he said he would come down in price because he knows he priced it to high). I know the nissan weighs 83lbs but anyone know what the 20hp yamaha weighs? Thx

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

i have a 14'princecraft scamper and it is rated to 15HP max. Last year when i bought it, it had a 1968 6HP fisherman with it and i got a 1976 Johnson 15HP offa CL for 500............they are good motors but tired.

i just went out and got brand new Tohatsu's a 6HP and a 9.8 , because they are lightest in class, and WOW what a difference in power and handling............

the 9.8 short shaft with electric start and charging system weighs in at 88 pounds.
and the 6HP is only 56 pounds.

i can carry either or easily , and i use the 6 when i am by myself, and the 9.8 when fishing with the kids or friends :D

i get in the 20's with the 9.8 and it absolutely sips fuel, and thank god, i pay 12.00 a gallons over here ...........

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

I think I will be looking for a 15-20hp 2 stroke motor. I looked at a yamaha 15hp 2 stroke ss early 90's but it was spray painted camo and he wanted a $1000 firm for it. It had a fresh tuneup and carb clean and was completely gone through, just really ugly. Also going to see a 1996 yamaha 2 stroke 20hp ss for $1300firm and a 18hp 1994 nissan 2 stroke ss for $1500(but he said he would come down in price because he knows he priced it to high). I know the nissan weighs 83lbs but anyone know what the 20hp yamaha weighs? Thx

keep in mind you want to research each motor here for pros and cons and remember whatever you buy, make sure you can get parts for it and it is not NLA..........

the Yamaha weighs in at 108 pounds

77buzzer

Cadet

My boat is rated for 20hp

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

My boat is rated for 20hp

go for it, but 88 pounds VS 108.................

plus, i have a fishing boat, NOT a go fast boat, not looking for any water speed records :p

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

consider a pull start and save that battery weight. I don't see much use in electric for a motor under 25 HP.

kfa4303

Banned

I agree. You can pull start anything less than 25 hp with ease. A starter and battery add a lot of weight and are just another potential source of problems. Less is more. My old '66 20 hp starts in 1-2 pulls every time and I've left many a fancy e-start motor at the dock.

77buzzer

Cadet

Anybody know if 2000 15hp Johnsons are any good?

77buzzer

Cadet

Are you sure a 1996 Yamaha 20hp 2 stroke short shaft weighs 108lbs? Where can I find what different outboard motors weigh, is there a website?