What do you think of this 1980s Zodiac

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What do you think of this 1980s Zodiac

Hello boaters,

Hope you can shed light on this 1980s zodiac. What's the model? Is it hypalon? How many years of life do you think it has? Engine and boat. Thanks. Jack

http://kamloops.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...Evinrude-2-Stroke-Outboard-W0QQAdIdZ382772014

Hard to make a objective comment without physically seeing the entire setup....which includes the trailer???

Personally, for two grand - I'd keep looking. I'm pretty sure it's hypalon given it's protracted age.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

That's a 32 year oldie, although fabric could be in neat conditions, glue won't and when any part begins to unglue most of the boat parts will follow, stay away if not wanting to pay excesive gluing fees once you have bough it.

Happy Boating

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I had the 15'-6" model dating from the mid-1970's. Major difference was wooden floors instead of aluminum. Mine was starting to show its age, evidenced by the fabric (it was hypalon) losing the dimpled texture and slow pressure leaks (overnight would drop significantly).

It was a great boat while I had it and still very usable when I sold it. However, I was concerned about the same issues cited above (although the fact that it is still standing after all these years is a testimonial to Zodiac durability).

If you can afford it (and want an inflatable) I think you'd be better off putting the $2000 towards a newer model.

jackbcryan

Cadet

Yeah, it comes with the trailer. Did buy it for $1500. I figured the engine and trailer will last a few more years than the boat. Thanks for the feedback.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Try to raise/pull off the contour of any glued part, could be an oar lock, handle, to see the sib's actual glued condition, that way will know if will last some more months or prepare the wallet to buy another same size to fit the engine and trailer.

Happy Boating

jackbcryan

Cadet

Try to raise/pull off the contour of any glued part, could be an oar lock, handle, to see the sib's actual glued condition, that way will know if will last some more months or prepare the wallet to buy another same size to fit the engine and trailer.

Happy Boating

Update. Got the boat now for three days. Went on two test drives so far. Runs great. Counted 4 patches on it. Think it was manufactured in 1977 from the metal plate on the transom. I live in the interior British Columbia where its semi arid. Low humidity in the region of 30% or lower year round. Might explain why it's in good shape. Plus the original owner never used it in seawater. Look at the pics.

Attachments

• 1977 zodiac.jpg
    1977 zodiac.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Inwater.jpg
    Inwater.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Seems Hypalon made which can last 30 + years at the most well cared for, not an issue to use boats in salt water, just rinse well after use if wanting long lasting life. Probably the boast was used only on summer months and winterized. With hand glued long time oldies sometimes it's a risk to inflate them to it's max factory recommended working pressure (3.0/3.5 psi) as seams could burst due to glue having lost it's vulcanized/holding properties.

Happy Boating

jackbcryan

Cadet

Seems Hypalon made which can last 30 + years at the most well cared for, not an issue to use boats in salt water, just rinse well after use if wanting long lasting life. Probably the boast was used only on summer months and winterized. With hand glued long time oldies sometimes it's a risk to inflate them to it's max factory recommended working pressure (3.0/3.5 psi) as seams could burst due to glue having lost it's vulcanized/holding properties.

Happy Boating

So how do you winterise boat? Thought of leaving it in my garage at 70%-80% of full pressure.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

When you say full 70-80% pressure are you using a pressure gauge or finger gauge ? Did the purchase include a yellow round rubber housing with a gauge inside ? Just leave well inflated resting on covered floor or sideways against a wall, top air periodically to maintain rigidity.

Happy Boating

avonsforlife

Recruit

Hello boaters,
Hope you can shed light on this 1980s zodiac. What's the model? Is it hypalon? How many years of life do you think it has? Engine and boat. Thanks. Jack

http://kamloops.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...Evinrude-2-Stroke-Outboard-W0QQAdIdZ382772014

..well I had A 1972 Avon hypalon I used from 2010 to 2012-Looked like the day it was made-no patches either..now my brother in law is now using it..stuff is invincible..