What do you guys think of a 2006 Sea Ray Sundeck 220?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: What do you guys think of a 2006 Sea Ray Sundeck 220?

The Sea Ray Sundeck series is about the most popular boat available. Super high quality. I am around a 240 Sundeck with the 6.2, and it will pull a slalom skier up at a 9,000 foot altitude lake. The 5.0 is a little light for high altitude, as another poster mentioned. Once you have a Sundeck, there isn't much left to upgrade to.

Ok you mean if a person had a deck boat there isn't much left to upgrade to. As for being a popular boat, that may be true nationally or internationaly but in MN with our 11,000 plus lakes, rare doesn't begin to describe how few you see. Mostly because our boats fit in our garages which maxes most out at under 20 feet plus trailer. We are much more picky about our sub 20 foot boats quality-wise hence why I can't believe Sea Ray produces such sub par under 20 foot models with their Sport line. You'd think they would think like maybe Toyota, decent entry level products all around and very nice move up products in their Lexus. Instead they have hardly ho-hum entry level (size wise) boats and decent large boats. At least a few builders give you identical quality no matter the size hence my sig boat. I'd be much more apt in theory at least to buy a larger Chaparral if say I moved to Florida than I would a Sea Ray.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What do you guys think of a 2006 Sea Ray Sundeck 220?

OK well sea trial went well. The boat is very stable on a rough stormy day on the intercoastal at Ponce Inlet, so Dad is very happy. I would say it is almost as good as my 214FS. The interior is very differant than the below 20ft Sport line you mentioned. It is much higher quality. When I was looking and finally bought my Monterey, I looked at 20ft Sea Rays and was very dissapointed. I actually advised my Dad against even looking at this boat origionally. But then saw one out on the water and we went and looked. As poor as the 205 sports were that I looked at, I was definately surprised at the quality of this boat. There are just little details that are nice. The 5.0mpi is suffecient for Dad. He had a 190hp 4.3 in his Tahoe, and this thing is like a rocket compared to that. Tops out just around 50mph. We looked at several Chaparrals in this size and price range and they were all completely trashed. I am a huge Chap fan, but we found that it seemed like every one we looked at was just junk and they still wanted top dollar. That is why I now have a Monterey and Dad has a Sea Ray.

Now on to the problems. So we pick it up Friday. Sea trial went fine. They fixed the minor chips with gelcoat, and it looks good. They had the boat an extra 2 weeks and never detailed it, or if they did, they didnt do a very good job. We had a very difficult time getting it on the trailer. The winch handle hits the hull, so it has to sit about 6" back. It bounced so much the safety chain bounced off. Then Saturday Dad went to go boating. When we sea trialed it the battery switch was on 1. The Captain that took us out suggested we put it on both while running it so as to keep the batteries charged. Well, when Dad tried to take it out the batteries were "both" dead. Turns out, battery 2 was off for a reason. It was bad and discharged the other one overnight. Dad bought a new one, but was NOT happy. Then he thought the tires looked low and all 4 were around 20psi. He adjusted the crank so it clears the hull, but we still cannot get it all the way up, no matter what we do. So we threw a big yellow strap on there and tied it down to the trailer to keep it from bouncing so much and after a rotten Saturday of NO boating, he was able to take it out Sunday. Boat is awesome, we arent very happy with the dealer so far though.

Dad called the dealer this morning, expecting them to say too bad, it was sold as is. Well he was pleasantly surprised. They are almost 2 hours from where my Dad lives, so he asked if he could bring it to their other dealership closer to his house. They did one better, they sent a guy to pick it up and promised to make it right. Now lets see what they consider "right". Hopefully these things were jsut minor oversights.