What do you do to get your winter boating fix?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Currently measuring the amount of snow outside in feet, counting the degrees on one hand (or less), and the nearest open water is in the dog's water dish...

Soooo, in past winters I've rebuilt a boat, or maybe a motor or three, but this winter I decided to build a boat - in 1/6 scale. It is a 1950s style outboard runabout, loosely based on the "Meteor", a plan from an old boat building magazine. I think it's available at svensons.com. It measures about 24-inches long and will be powered by an Aquacraft EP1 outboard motor. Should do 10-12 mph, which is a pretty good scale speed.

Attachments

• MeteorFraming_4084.jpg
    MeteorFraming_4084.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MeteorFrames_4046.jpg
    MeteorFrames_4046.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • MeteorFramingDone_4102.jpg
    MeteorFramingDone_4102.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MeteorRearSeat_4200.jpg
    MeteorRearSeat_4200.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • MeteorSeatsVarnished_4319.jpg
    MeteorSeatsVarnished_4319.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: What do you do to get your winter boating fix?

A few more pics....

Attachments

• MeteorSideDecksOn_Dummied_4335.jpg
    MeteorSideDecksOn_Dummied_4335.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MeteorReadyForDecks_4314.jpg
    MeteorReadyForDecks_4314.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
  • MeteorRearSeat_4199.jpg
    MeteorRearSeat_4199.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 0

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That is pretty cool, should be pretty sweet when you get it done.

Last eyar I repainted my boat and 2 year ago I rebuilt the whole thing from the keel up but nothing this year, there is a small amount of rewiring I want to do and other than that it is done so Ijust sit and wait for the melt.

I used top build models but got tired of the kids crashing them, may think about getting back into it now that my youngest is driving and destroying a real car!!

Actually no, I have 3 daughters that drive, one married and no crashes so far, knock knock.

Very cool project, keep the pics coming.

64osby

Admiral

I have my list going and going and going. Drives my wife crazy. Can't wait until I can at least pull the cover off to start some of the little stuff. I would be nice if it was above 35, then I wouldn't mind being outside and I might not hurt the cover taking it off.

Great project you have going. I like the look of the motor, kinda looks like my Merc. 500.

And Ditto to the kids tearing it up, or the dog.:)

superbenk

Commander

That is awesome! I keep threatening to work on a boat model myself, but I haven't done it yet. I started awhile ago to do just what you did. I found some boat building plans in a DIY encyclopedia from the 60's I found. I had the frame all built and had the wood for the hull, but never actually got it skinned. It was a little bigger than what you're doing & yours look *much* more professional than my project did, but it was fun! Now I'm kind of waiting for the kids to grow up some myself so I can find time to do it again.

G

I am going to the boat show the last week end this month in London Ont. and after that it is supposed to warm up so I know it won't be long till launch time. Thats about it for me and watching boat shows on the tv :(

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well while there is 3 ft of snow on the ground here, Prince Rupert is a 1 1/2 hour scenic drive away. When we feel the need of some salt air up the nose we hop in the car and go for a drive, next to no snow, mild weather,(unless its raining), and 5 differnt docks to walk. The Ocean View Hotel or Breakers pub offer great views of the harbor and good fish and chips. But , spring better hurry up, I see the open water and start to ITCH :eek:

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

I've been sanding, and varnishing my 70, pieces of teak, and
ribbon mahogany for the past two winters. I fish all winter in
my brothers boat when the ramps arn't frozen - went out this past super bowl Sunday!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Great little rig! Nice work. Looking forward to videos once the lakes are liquid again:D

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

^^^ We must be neighbors...oh wait it's MUCH colder here. It was soo cold the wood in the house was creeking last night at -10 or something. I get to ride over the frozen Mississippi everyday on my way to work which gets irritating but I swear the other day when I drove over the bridge I got a whiff of that freshwater fish smell.

Getting the tow vehicles in shape for the summer has been my project. Winter hasn't been too bad this year now that I have something to look forward to when the snow melts.

sasto

Captain

That's a cool project, chinewalker. Approx. how many hours does it take to build something like that?

Winter?.... What's that? :eek:

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice work Chinewalker.

I generally just sit in the cockpit of the boat and make "vroom vroom" noises to get my boating fix in the winter. :facepalm:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

That's a cool project, chinewalker. Approx. how many hours does it take to build something like that?

Winter?.... What's that? :eek:

You're probably far enough south to have escaped our cold this winter. My cousin in Tampa has had her thermometer dipping below freezing this winter.

I probably have 20-25 hours into it so far. Not too bad - a couple hours a day on most weekends, started it back in late November...

sasto

Captain

You're probably far enough south to have escaped our cold this winter. My cousin in Tampa has had her thermometer dipping below freezing this winter.

I probably have 20-25 hours into it so far. Not too bad - a couple hours a day on most weekends, started it back in late November...

We had a freeze awhile back, all is well now.

I checked into the website with no results for a scale boat. They have a big selection of plans though. I have a neighbor friend who may have limited time. He was an old boatbuilder. He would just love something like that. I will keep looking for plans that may suit his style. This could be the best present I could give...at this time... to anybody.

Post more pics when you have time. Thanks!

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Reel nice model. Does the steering servo arm hit the back of the seat when turning full to starboard?

Me, I also build models, but from kits (9 so far). I also go to the shows to get new brochures for the head. When I'm not fishin, I'm wishin.

I usually start the countdown at 90 days to April 1 weekend, when I remove the cover for the season.

Tite Lines!

cribber

Lieutenant

Since our water turns hard down here in Florida we boat year round. That is a really cool boat that your building Chine!!

sasto

Captain

Since our water turns hard down here in Florida we boat year round. That is a really cool boat that your building Chine!!

Hey cribber. My first boat was bought and ran in the chain. Lived in Winter Haven and bass fished the lakes almost daily, weather permitting. Best thing I remember is the drive thru bar and the clowns at Cypress Gardens.

Apologize for the hijack.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Reel nice model. Does the steering servo arm hit the back of the seat when turning full to starboard?

The photo with the pieces/parts set in place was a dummied up pic - I just set the pieces in to test fitment. The servo arm won't hit anything when I'm done...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... That's an Awesome little boat there,... ;)