What do you do if?

LubeDude

Admiral
Ok, I have been Guiding, and today it almost happened.<br /><br />What do you do if a client drops one of your rods overboard?<br /><br />Do you make them pay for it, how can you?<br /><br />Hopefully they would offer, but not necesarily will they.<br /><br />At least $50.00, and maybe as much as $100.00

bubbakat

Captain
Re: What do you do if?

I would take the loss on this one but for future clients I would inform them up front any and all rod and reels lost over board the responsible party would compensate.<br />Of course leave out the lures because any one can lose a lure.<br />OOPPS ire read your post and saw where you were lucky on this one so disregard the first remark. :D

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Your gear should be covered by insurance, and, if you are going to be a guide a lost fishing pole will be the least of the mishaps you will encounter. Have fun fishing and don't worry about the small stuff. Chief ;)

Link

Rear Admiral

What Chief said and always have a couple spares. <br />Hey "guys" at least he didnt start off... I was at work today and... :D :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea, rods would be a cost of the trade, IMO.<br />You will loose some, but look at your price to guide to cover that loss.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Use less expensive (but durable) tackle for your clients. Also have some of your higher quality equipment (stored in a locker) avaliable "With Some Responsibility" concerning loss $$$.$$. Tell them what it would cost to replace it, there using your private stock/personal equipment . ;)

Dunaruna

Admiral

Part of the attraction in hiring a guide is so that you can use equipment that you normally can't afford, IMO.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

What about a deposit. I know when you rent something that they always require a deposit. It may not cover the complete cost, but would help cover some of the loss. Of course give the deposit back when they are done unless they broke or lost it.<br /><br />Just a thought......

one more cast

Captain

I think I would count it as a business expense. Or put safety wires on them. :D

LadyFish

Admiral

Personally I'd push him in after it. ;) <br /><br />Do you currently make your clients sign a disclaimer? If so, maybe you could add another line that states they are responsible for any broken or lost rods and reels. However, I can say that I've never seen it done. Most figure its just the cost of doing business.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by RichP1269:<br /> Sounds like a tax deduction to me.
Thats exactly what it is, a tax deduction.<br /><br />Claimimg the loss on your insurance will only push your rates higher, use your insurance for the really big stuff like the client's lure hooking you in the nose or something of that nature :eek: ;)

KaGee

Admiral

Now, if you were guiding a bunch like that motley crew that met up north a while back... you be needing a while bunch of spare rods for sure! :p :D

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by RichP1269:<br /> Sounds like a tax deduction to me.
I think this likely is the way to handle it. Most of the people I have seen are very understanding and if they offer to replace it, (I think most would), Thats a bonus.<br /><br />Why sweat the small stuff.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Now, if you were guiding a bunch like that motley crew that met up north a while back... you be needing a while bunch of spare rods for sure! :p :D
I just took out two brothers, both cops, I havnt had so much fun in the boat ever. Dang they were funny. They had some very funny cop stories. I should have paid them. :D :D

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

LubeDude: I’m with chief on this rods should be covered on your insurance. If you loose a rod overboard just smile and say **** happens. That way it won’t affect the tip at the end of the day.<br /> :)

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> I just took out two brothers, both cops, I havnt had so much fun in the boat ever. Dang they were funny. They had some very funny cop stories. I should have paid them. :D :D
I hope next time you get a ticket they won't mind if you drop that overboard ;) ;)

D

DJ

Is it in the contract?<br /><br />If not, your loss.<br /><br />If you do not have a contract, with clients, you're at SERIOUS risk.<br /><br />Sorry it has to come to that. But, you do not want to find out the hard way.

LubeDude

Admiral

No kidding, a couple times they had me laughing so hard I was crying.