What do I have?

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,<br /><br />I have picked up two Evinrudes and neither serial number is an exact match for what I have found on the web. I want to make sure I get the right manual for each so I need some help.<br /><br />The first has the following serial number:<br /><br />558755 or 55875S<br /><br />I cannot tell if the last number/letter is a "five" or an "S" and do not know if it makes any difference. Otherwise it seems to be a 1978 55HP two cylinder unit. Is the last digit significant?<br /><br />The second has the following serial number:<br /><br />E70ELCSA<br /><br />The "E" and the "EL" do not comply with the numbering system I found on the web. I suspect that this number means it is an Evinrude 70 HP Electric Start 1980 Run A motor.<br /><br />So what I would like to know is what shop manual should I get for each motor and what the nominal ACTUAL PROP HP is for each of the motors so I can best match each motor to a boat.<br /><br />Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What do I have?

You have ID-ed the engines correctly, Dude.<br /><br />Prop HP should be 85-90% of the crank-rated hp.<br />Try 48 and 60hp.<br /><br />Good luck. :)