What do I do??

vdsantos35

Cadet
So a buddy gave me a 1996 Johnson 9.9 (two stroke) outboard for my boat. My issue is it was pulled off of a pontoon which means I don’t have any throttle cables, gear shifter, tiller handle. Are there any universal tillers that I can use? I’ve been looking around but haven’t found anything.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Those were popular motors, should be able to find everything you need...never heard of a " universal" tiller and controls, pretty sure you will need factory stuff.

vdsantos35

Cadet
Those were popular motors, should be able to find everything you need...never heard of a " universal" tiller and controls, pretty sure you will need factory stuff.
for being so popular I haven’t found much. eBay is dry and to order a majority of OEM parts I’m looking at over $700. Picked up a couple of evinrude assemblies but can’t work any of them to fit. Would it be more logical to just make my John boat a console control?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Coming off a pontoon, it's most likely a 20" transom vs the 15 on your jon boat

vdsantos35

Cadet
I understand that, but this was a free outboard, a riser jack isn’t a difficult nor costly modification.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I understand that, but this was a free outboard, a riser jack isn’t a difficult nor costly modification.
once you understand the physics, you want as short of a motor as possible.

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a short driveshaft & shifter rod for $50. The copper pipe simply cut. Incredibly simple conversion from long shaft to short shaft.

You can also find a complete parts motor for less than the cost of individual parts if all you need is the tiller assembly.

airshot

Rear Admiral
for being so popular I haven’t found much. eBay is dry and to order a majority of OEM parts I’m looking at over $700. Picked up a couple of evinrude assemblies but can’t work any of them to fit. Would it be more logical to just make my John boat a console control?
Being popular can also mean parts are hard to find because everyone wants them...