What did I do wrong? The boat won't ride level when driving straight

eyes4u

Seaman
I spent all winter working on restoring a 1984 Crestliner Nordic. I have a pretty lengthy thread that outlines my progress. I am now having a crazy problem. When I am motoring through the water, the boat is riding like it is unequally weighted on the port side. When I am on plane with a passenger on the port side, the oat rides uncomfortably low on the port side. When I outfit the boat, I kept thing very balanced. THe fuel tank is perfectly centered, the trolling motor batteries are right down the middle, and the engineis perfectly centered on the boat based on confirmation measurements that I took tonight. I measured from the center of the engine mounting bolts to the chines on the boat on both side, and all seems to be perfect.

The trim tab on the bottom of the cavitation plate is set where the rear of the tab is pointing just a couple of degrees to the right (starboard) when viewing it from the rear of the boat.

I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: What did I do wrong? The boat won't ride level when driving straight

It sounds like you still need to adjust that tab a little.

eyes4u

Seaman

Do you know which way I need to adjust it? Will adjusting it so that it rides correctly fix the problem across the whole speed and throttle position spectrum?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Move the tab in the direction that the boat pulls.

emoney

Commander

If it's listing to Port, move the tab to port. Start with it at dead center and go from there. It will change as it gains speed but pick the normal "cruising" speed to make the final adjustment.