What depth/fish finder do I want

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 20 foot SRV SeaRay and want to add a depth finder. I boat mainly in the Illinois river and a depth finder would be valuable. I'm not a fisherman but it looks like a fish finder is the answer. I don't understand all the ads. What is the most practical for me? What is Chirp? What is a chart plotter versus a basic unit? Dumb it down for this old guy. What should I buy?

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Chart plotters have maps that are likely quite handy for you. On the fish finder side almost anything is fine if you don't care about fishing. All that will really matter is getting a foot transducer installation.

Black58

Seaman Apprentice
Biggest that will fit! Doesn't have to be the most expensive.

Last edited:

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What's a "foot transducer?"
An auto correct of "good transducer installation"

Anything will fit the purpose you described. Get in a store and play with some to see what you like, and choose based on that.

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all these videos but my eyes just glaze over. I do not understand any of this. Frequencies, band widths etc. What the hell? For dummies please.

dwco5051

Commander
Thanks for all these videos but my eyes just glaze over. I do not understand any of this. Frequencies, band widths etc. What the hell? For dummies please.
Forget about all the hype and electronic stuff. What you only want to know is where you are on the river and how much water is between you the bottom. Do you have friends that fish that could show you the basics? Is there an outdoor store near you like Bass Pro, Outdoor Man, Cabalas, or so? Go on a slow day and tell the sales rep in the fish finder department what you want is the basic model with the largest screen that will do it. If you are lucky the rep will spend some time on one of the demo models showing what they will do. This will give you an idea what you are getting into. Now you have that much knowledge starting looking around for a deal. Fishermen are nuts and are constantly upgrading to the latest and greatest. May find a deal on a used one at a big savings. Also if buying new ask if there is a discontinued model that is in stock after it was replaced with an upgraded model with even more un-needed bells and whistles. Most all of them will give you the ability to shift between chart plotter and depth finder or even better have a split screen display to see both at once and an alarm feature that can be set to let you know when you are getting into shallow water.

Remember that the depth finder isn't telling you about some underwater obstruction that is ahead of you, by the time the alarm goes off you have probably already hit it. That's where the chart function at least shows what to expect and give you time to slow down for known sand bars, etc.

Last edited:

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ignore it all. They all do everything you need and more. If you want any "cool features" they:re probably more on the mapping side.

ALL of the hyped sonar features are for fishermen.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Remember that the depth finder isn't telling you about some underwater obstruction that is ahead of you, by the time the alarm goes off you have probably already hit it.
This is no longer the case.
Most mfg now have some sort of real time, forward looking sonar.

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
The other thing to keep in mind is where to mount and how. I found some pictures of an older 20’ SRV with a chart plotter mounted on top of the dash, see this link. So when you go talk to the rep as dwco is recommending, take along some photos of your helm and other possible places where it could be mounted.

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class