What can I tow with this?

reelfishin

Captain
Re: What can I tow with this?

I had an older 300D years ago, it had a simple flat bar type of hitch on it when I got it. It was a non turbo, and had about 90,000 mi. on it when I got it. I had gotten it needing an oil cooler and oil filter housing and was in it cheap.
I really had no intention of towing anything with it, but was about 400 miles from home one day with that car and found a van for sale real cheap that I couldn't refuse that needed some minor work. My options were to either leave it and find someone to drive me up there who had a vehicle that could tow it back, or to go to the local U Haul place and buy a tow bar. I went the tow bar route with the thinking that so long as I took it slow and stuck to the back roads where I could it would be fine and far cheaper and easier then having to beg a favor and waste a weekend getting it home later. I hitched it up and headed home, a 300D flat towing a Dodge van. My biggest concern was steep hills, but surprisingly it did fine, another concern was having the van push the towbar up or down when stopping, but it seemed fine. It made it all the way home with no ill effects on the car. I didn't go much over 45 mph and saw lots of friendly hand gestures the whole way home down the turnpike, but it only cost me the $65 for the tow bar, and the cost of the van, I spent the next weekend rebuilding the van's transmission and the 300D never had to do tow duty again. I was actually pretty amazed at how well it handled the task. Once I got it rolling, it was fine but I didn't push it. I didn't want to become an accidental hood ornament on a Dodge van. The van easily weighed over 5,000 lbs. I am not sure however if I'd want to try dragging that sort of weight up a steep or slippery ramp.
I was even more amazed at how well the cheap flat bar hitch did, but there was no tongue weight with a tow bar. I still have the tow bar, it was well worth having to buy one back then, it's towed all sorts of truck home and saved me loads of towing bills.

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB

Don't pay any attention to how it is done somewhere else. Find out what your specific vehicle is rated to tow. Do not tow any amount above that weight. Otherwise you will have unlimited liability. Your insurance will only pay if you are within legal weight limits.

No means of flaming...but if you don't know .....

Those towing capacity are Mercedes official towing rating capacity in Europe. ( and as far as I know the car imported to the states are the same built...).

I'm still smiling each time I ear someone complaining about the price of gas...
Maybe when people in the USA will realise than you don't need a F350 to pull a 2500lbs load or a Suburban to go to the Supermaket things will be easier on their gas budget.

The misconception is that American built car have no towing capacities...(usually <1000lbs), compare to others.

And I can already ear yeah it's much safer to pull my trailer with my Dodge Ram that with a Sedan....that's sound exactly like opening your doors/windows in your house in case of a tornado, misinformation..

Braking distance for a 03 F250 60-0 is 161 feet
Braking distance for a 05 Audi A6 is 126 feet
What make you think that the F250 will stop better than the Audi with the same 2500lbs trailer...?

No pun intended, just putting the fact together. I have been towing small boat (under 21ft) for over 15 years in Europe, USA and Asia and I can tell you that as long as your are not flirting with Max load and that your trailer is well balanced (tongue weights, tire pressure.....) and properly equipped ( brake, proper hitch) a Sedan is as good as a truck.

Thank you for taking the time of reading. :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

think i found it. you have a pm. 2000lbs, 200 tongue wt. also found hitch, and wiring harness.

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your insurance will only pay if you are within legal weight limits.

This is not correct. However, what are the LEGAL weight limits for a passenger car?

JB

Asfar as I know the "legal" limit is what the maker rates the vehicle to tow. That is why I asked my question.

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should be in the owner manual.
If you don't have it, contact the dealer to find the correct answer for the USA

In Europe the towing capacity for the E300d are :
750 Kg (1650 lbs) with a non braked trailer
1500Kg (3300) with braked trailer

There You are also required to have a special license if the trailer weight > car weight and or the total package exceed 7700 lbs

You car weight should be around 1500kg (3300lbs)

http://www.rsa-fr.com/RSA_France/INFOS_Remorques/Charges_tractables/MERCED.htm

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hitech

I have spent 40 years in the transportation industry. In any accident the attorneys look for any statutory violations of the law. It matters less who actually caused the accident. If one of the parties was in violation of any law, they can be faced with a huge liability. An example of that is the reason why most trucking companies cite their own drivers for log book violations. This somewhat limits their liability in case of an accident.

tashasdaddy

i contacted Mercedes southeast regional director, husband of a friend. the US distributed cars don't have offical tow ratings. and mercedes has no hitches for them. it's all aftermarket stuff.

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is your 300d a w124 or w210 ?

Finally foound the Mercedes "official" print for France and Swisszerland...

http://www.w124.org/equipements/TarifSuisseBerline1992.pdf

Go to the bottom of the pdf and look for " poids de remorquage freinee" for the 300d

This website has most of the information for the w124....but it's in French...

http://www.w124.org/

PM me if you need some translation, good luck with the car.
(you will have no problem pulling your boston with it)

JB

My car is a W210, wildspeed.

Thanks anyway. :)

ebry710

Ensign

The problem with passenger vehicles towing trailers is the same problem with small truck towing loads. It isn't usually the power to tow, its the power to stop. It isn't how smooth it rides, but how good the shocks are. Important things are brake size, shocks, wheelbase and how big of hitch can be put on the frame. Remember the length of the trailer has such leverage that the weight is not the only factor.

I saw the picture from Europe, but if you want to see Mercedes do great things go to the Home Depot in Marin County, Ca and you will see plywood strapped to the roofs and 2x4's put through the windows.:eek:

If you are worried about legal ask you local Highway Patrol/State Trooper or DMV. They are usually helpful for legal issues.

Mercedes are well built passenger cars and 1500# isn't a huge amount of weight. If stopping is a problem, trailer brakes work great.