What can I mix with water to make it stay frozen longer?

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: What can I mix with water to make it stay frozen longer?

Marry that water and it will freeze you right out :D

NOSLEEP

Commander

Neumanns, the salt wont make the water colder.<br />Nor will it keep it colder longer.<br />The liquid stage of the water will allow it to<br />heat up quicker than in frozen form.<br />The dry ice idea will work well though.

Carphunter

Commander

Maybe this is a common sense response, but, we do a lot of camping and carry many coolers, instead of using the normal bag ice, we switched to the block ice, which seems to last at least three times as long for obvious reasons.<br /><br />Its all in the cooler though. You'll get cheap results from a "cheap" cooler.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I bought an Igloo plug in cooler in the spring and it works great with no ice at all.When we put some ice in it, it worked even better.For a regular cooler the most important thing is to keep all the ice TOGETHER and at the bottom of the cooler to one side.Block is the best and place a damp towel over everything before you claose the cooler.Thats the best you are going to get.Providing you are using a high quality cooler.Charlie

scamper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You gotta try this! Have a few drinks and read this thread. :D :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

drink faster and less Ice is needed.<br /> good luck and block ice is the way to go.<br /> dry ice underneath works well wrapped in newspaper. DO NOT handle dry ice with bare hands or allow the kids in the cooler :) :) <br /> in an emergency a CO2 fire extinguisher can be used for emergency beverage cooling :) :)

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok, it has been a few years since chemistry class, but here goes.<br /><br />There is a concept called something like "latent heat of something or other" at any rate, for a solid to change state to a liquid, it takes a certain amount of heat to change a certain amount of ice (solid) to water (liquid). As this process continues, it uses heat (leaking in to the cooler) to change the ice to water, thus keeping the contents of your cooler cold. The rate at which the ice melts will be determined by the amount of heat leaking in, and the surface area of ice exposed to it. (Thus small cube ice will keep the cooler colder for short periods, but will melt quicker due to the increased suface area.)<br /><br />Once the ice has all melted, then this process is lost, and it takes, by definition, 1 cal of heat to change 1 ml of water 1 deg Cent.<br /><br />The process of changing state from solid to liquid is what allows you to keep the contents of the cooler cold. Once it turns to liquid, the contents, including the water, will all raise temp at the same rate. There may be better products out there, like the ice packs you buy at the sports store--I have no idea--but as far as water is concerned, pure water is best, and anything added to it will lessen its performance.<br /><br />As a sidelight, do you know why the anti-freeze in your car is mixed water and anti-freeze? It is because the water mixed with the anti-freeze will lower the temperature at which the anti- freeze will freeze --much in the same way that anything mixed with water will lower its freezing point. Pure anti freeze will freeze at a higher temperature that when mixed with water (at the right ratio, of course--something like 30% water and 70% anti-freeze) At some point in this graph, the anti-freeze no longer inhibits the water freezing, but rather the water inhibits the anti-freeze freezing.

mattttt25

Commander

you got it plywoody. nothing to add...

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I do not have the schooling background that you guys have so perhaps you can help me out in laymens terms. If we take two identical coolers insame enviroment with the only diffrence being the contents of the 20 oz soda bottle. One filled to with pure water and one filled with salt water both chilled in a freezer to same even temp of 10 degrees. The salt water cooler would warm up faster than the fresh?<br /><br />I under stand that the salt would liquify sooner but would it reach 32 degrees sooner? Why

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

rubbing alcohol would do the trick, but so would cheap booze, and you could drink the cheap booze if you felt like it, lol<br /><br />seriously, those "cold wraps" are nothing more than a mix of alcohol and water, slushy down to zero I think<br /><br />sumptin like that, its why they tell you to use a towel, cause the wrap can frostbite you straight on

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

salt would makeit heat slightly faster, the ice melts because the salt causes the electrons to become more active<br /><br />which is why in the ocean, you die a few minutes faster than in the great lakes, the water is 28 rather than 32, lol

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe you got it too plywoody. Now that you mention it, what I remembered was "heat of fusion." Sorry neumanns, I can't really say much more on this right now. I've been out of chem class for quite a while and I don't want to lead anyone in the wrong direction. Sounds like ply can explain it better. I know the concept, but not exactly how to explain it. I'm not the best kinda person for teaching this kinda stuff LOL :p Oh, and he is right about the anti-freeze too. My chemistry teacher showed us exactly why it is that way, but I can't quite remember how to explain it. It has to do with the dissociation of ethylene glycol into the water. The more particles that are dissolved in water, the lower the freezing point will be to a point. There is a point at which it will stop making a difference I think. That's one reason why you can use bleach or salt to melt ice in the winter. The bleach or salt will dissociate(mix) with the ice to cause the freezing point to lower, thus lowering the melting point, which melts the ice. <br /><br />James

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

ZmOz, its not what you can add to water to make it stay frozen longer, but it is what you can remove from it that will make it last longer.<br /><br />Use distilled filtered water. The impurities such as the oxygen and minerals aids in the rapid melting of the ice. As plywoody said it is the Latent temp that you are wanting to maintain.<br /><br />When you freeze your water, try to take it down in temp as far as you can. I wouldn't add anything that could leak out and contaminate your drinks or food. <br /><br />I prefer Igloo coolers over the others, they seem to have a tighter density foam insualtion than the others. I have tried just about all the brands, and Igloo is at the top of the list.<br /><br />Helpful Tip: Before putting your warm pop/beer in the cooler, pre cool them in a bucket of cold tap water first for about 10 minuets. Buying them cold is best, but if they are warm, this method of precooling helps maintain your ice.<br /><br />SS