what brand of 2 stroke oil?

MOTguy

Cadet
I would like some opinions on what brand of two stroke outboard oil everyone uses and why? Is the inexpensive stuff ok or does it pay in the long run to use the manufacturer recommended engine brand oil? Opinions? Let's hear em....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: what brand of 2 stroke oil?

Quicksilver, OMC, Pennzoil are all good. Wal-Mart markets a top quality oil at an excellent price that I forget the name of. Compare the specs on the containers to the Quicksilver. (It may be rebranded Quicksilver. It sure smells/feels like it.)<br />Avoid, at all cost, bargain 2 stroke oil that doesn't meet the engine maker's specs'<br /><br />Good luck,<br />JB
smile.gif

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

NMMA certified TC-W3oil. Don't use TC-W2 oil.<br />WallMart's brand is cheap and good.<br />Lubrimatic Brand is good also.

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The engine makers oils are generally the highest quality, they are made this way to reduce warranty claims. The TCW3 rating allows for things like piston scuffing, etc. All oils are not equal, the more expensive generally have more carbon reducing additives. This is more important in todays higher performace, close tolerance engines than the engines of 15 yrs ago. Use of cheap oils may not show effects until a couple hundred hrs of use. Many mechanics swear that many powerheads fail due to cheap oils producing mucho carbon buildup.<br /><br /> I believe that the Mercury Premium Plus is the best, I find more people with high performance engines run merc oil. Quite a few enthusiasts use Amsoil(synthetic) also.

JeffSlade

Seaman Apprentice

The Wal-Mart brand is "SuperTech". J.B. is right, it looks and feels exactly like Quicksilver at less than half the cost. Quicksilver $2.50 pint, SuperTech $1.07 pint.

Little Bear

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,<br />I know a guide that has used the Wal-Mart Supertech two cycle oil for ten or so years in his Yamaha Pro V 150 with no problems. He swears by it but I have heard some people say stay away from it. I use it on occasion and like it.<br />Regards,<br />Little Bear

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

I've been using the Pennzoil Premium for quite a while now. It's a semi synthetic and at &1.75 a pint at wallmart quite affordable.

sockeyerun

Seaman Apprentice

I have always used Yamaha's oil in my Yamaha outboard and snowmachine,It's very expensive. I have been leary about trying another brand,but I also have heard good things about Walmarts brand. My question is if I wanted to switch, can I just start adding it right in with the current oil thats in my motor now??? This is awesome I have already learned alot from you guys!!!!!Thanks
biggrin.gif