What boat is it?

cbourbeau32

Seaman
A friend of mine has had a boat on one of his ponds for like 20+ years. I asked him a while back what he was going to do with it and he told me to take it if I thought I could use it. Anyway I picked it up this weekend and was hoping if I posted some pictures and dimensions someone could help me identify it. It has no data plate and nothing that I can see to identify it. Anyway here are the dimensions:

Length: 14' 3"
Height (depth) at bow 28"
Height (depth) at middle 23"
Height (depth) at stern 20"
53 1/4" wide at front seat
57 3/4" wide at center seat
47" wide at very rear of boat

It has a light green paint on the inside and some traces of that paint left on the outside (under current paint job of white paint). Not sure if this item helps but thought I'd throw it in.

I also took a few pictures. Does anyone know of this boat or have one?

Thanks, Charlie

Attachments

• SUNP0532.jpg
    SUNP0532.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0533.jpg
    SUNP0533.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0534.jpg
    SUNP0534.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0535.jpg
    SUNP0535.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: What boat is it?

From the 1st picture it looks very much like a Lund built hull. The other pictures leave me no clue.

cbourbeau32

Seaman

Thanks, hopefully someone will recognize it. All I now so far is that it was free to me and that it needs a little (not too much) work to be lake ready.

Charlie

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Whatever make it is it looks like a very sturdy boat. Did you get enough proper paper work with it so that it can be registared? Looks heavy enough that I wouldn't want to have to row it everwhere. Any idea what size engine it will support? Compared to my old Lund S14 I would think up to a 25hp.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

If you look at the dead rise ( I think that's the term) it's not a Lund that I have ever seen, that bow will plow through the water if there isn't enough ponies in back. Looks like a nice project boat, the old tinny's are fun easy projects. I had a boat very similar with a small console, it had a merc 40 and would get on plane, cruse at about 20-22 mph. Throw a floor, new paint, and some power behind her, and you will have a real nice rig.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

The Lund S14 DLX I was running was very close to the same dimensions as this one and with the factory steering console was rated at 35hp. Which is why with a tiller I suggested a 25hp.

cbourbeau32

Seaman

I'm picking up an 18 HP for it Saturday. Hopefully that will be enough. @ Bonz I talked to the local tag agency and they said I'd have no problem registering it since it has no ID of any kind on it. I did that several years back with a 10' stainless steel boat.

Thanks, Charlie

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

When I 1st picked up that Lund there was no engine on it and I ran an 18hp Evinrude tiller on it for most of the 1st season. It did fine with just me in it or me and one other person. Any more than that and it would start to struggle a bit. Latter upgraded to a 35hp and it would fly even with 3 persons and gear.

Charlie I think you will do very well with that combo. Also great to hear there will be no problems with registration and like I said, looks like a very sturdy boat.

pckeen

Commander

An 18 should be great on that - are you picking up a Fastwin?

jbcurt00

Staff member

LoneStar 14ft Cosair(green hull in the center of the pix, 14ft version of 17ft Corvette):
Lonestarb57016.jpg

3 support struts under each bench
Oval cut in each end of the benches
Buttress rib gunwale to bench top
Small hand hold/fore deck

cbourbeau32

Seaman

Thank you jbcurt00! I appreciate your help. @pckeen, I'm not sure if it is a fastwin or not. Is that a good engine?

Thanks again! Charlie

jbcurt00

Staff member

You're welcome

You can try to compare your boats specs to the data sheets listed here,

which is where I got the brochure page, and come up w/ a year, but it's tough enough sometimes to ID the maker & model. Many vintage boat models were built for a LONG time. Alumacraft used the model A designation for 30+yrs........

pckeen

Commander

If its an 18hp Evinrude Fastwin - they were amongst the most popular motors built - and tend to be bulletproof.....but everything is about condition and how it has been kept. The reason I asked is I'm restoring a 16' Naden and found an old Fastwin to put on the back...

aramnrtar

Cadet

Looks like one we used to have years ago. We called it the Arkansas Traveler. Not sure if that is the correct name for it. We had some goods times with it and it was a very good boat. It would really fly with anything from a 10 - 18 hp on her!

terrysandlin

Seaman

I restored a 14 ft 6 in Lonestar (Commander?) last summer. They are a solid and heavy aluminum fishing boat. I put a 25 hp electric start Evinrude motor on it after restoration. I also used a 9.5 Evinrude on it. The restored outboards were very capable. Restoring is time consuming; but, the effort is worth it. The transome was in good shape. It leaked along a few seams. I spent considerable time with an angle grinder using a tristed wire brush to remove the paint.I then rebucked some rivets along with the use of 3M 5300. After that I sealed the seams with Gluvit. Next came a primer and a couple coats of paint. It came out looking very good. It no longer leaks and runs like a charm. I no longer have room for it, since I bought a bass boat last fall. I would not be selling it if I had space to store it. I can post some pictures if I can figure out how to do it. (Do you HAVE to use photobucket to post pictures?) If you have questions or want recommendations you may respond in this forum or send me a personal message.

Terry

Last edited: