What boat is for me?

goof

Cadet
Hi. I need some help picking a boat. I'm looking for something that I can...1) take 4-5 or more people out on the lake. (lake Erie and/or Ontario.) 2) My wife and I spend the weekend on the lake. 3) Put some downriggers on and go trolling for salmon/trout. 4) used and under $6000. 5) I'm thinking something with a cuddy, and 20-22' or more? What make and model do you all think would be ideal for what I seek. I know I'm not offering much for money, but I see alot of different sizes and years for under 6000. Plus I probably wont buy for another couple months. Please help! What should I be looking for??? Thank You very much!<br />Later,<br />RobNY<br />aka goof

musictrek

Cadet
Re: What boat is for me?

$6000 dos snot leave much room for any options...Just remember a boat is a whole in the water that you need to keep pouring money into. Buying a used boat will always have lots of "surprises" in stock.<br />My suggestion is to buy a new boat, even if its smaller and doesn't ahve all the bells and whistles...<br />If you just using it for fishing and cruising..with $6000 you might want to consider a small 12 - 16 foot aluminum boat with a 15HP - 25HP motor on it...Or get a good inflatable baot..they're lots of fun and very stable...goto www.seaeagle.com. You can get the Sea Eagle 14SR for $2000, and put a good 30HP motor on it for another $4000...<br />a 14' inflatable s equivelent to a hard hull double its length...In other words, I'd miuch rather take a 14' inflatable in rough waters, than a 20' hard hull...

goof

Cadet

Thanks but I already had a sea eagle. I'm looking for something that I can spend the weekend on the water, not just a day boat. Also skiing, tubing, swimming, cruising, and trolling. <br /><br />Is there any reason why the Bayliner Capri's are going so cheap? I see alot of 19-21',1984 & up going for around $4000. Are they junk or something?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It would probably be an overstatement to say that yes, they are junk.<br /><br />In spite of how pretty they are, Bayliners were built to sell cheap, and are usually powered by Force engines which were. . .yes, you called it: built to sell cheap. They sold cheap and still sell cheap.<br /><br />As I read your post,I thought to myself, "He wants at $12,000 boat for $6,000. A sure fire set up to buy a Bayliner Capri powered by a Force 90." You have about a 10% to 25% chance of getting a real bargain. The other 75% to 90% chance might leave you pregnant.<br /><br />I agree with the gentlemen above. Raise your price or lower your sights and save yourself a lot of grief.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

goof

Cadet

Ok, thanks for your input, I really apprieciate it. Now lets forget about price, which boat would best fit what I'm looking for? Is there any make that the quality stands out? Thanks again.<br />Later,<br />goof

JB

Quality doesn't come cheap in boats, Goof. I guess, since you have owned several, you already know that.<br /><br />I have a very high priority for safety as well as for craftsmanship, but I can afford to buy what I please. Nevertheless, consider a used, '80s, Boston Whaler Outrage Cuddy or Revenge in the 19-22' range. They are so well built that a 20 year old boat is unlikely to need anything but cosmetics and re-anchoring of rails to be new again. You might get very lucky and find one for around $10K, but the asking price is more likely to be in the teens.<br /><br />That's my nomination for best boat for your needs, and best value, too. Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

goof

Cadet

J.B. I didn't mean to sound ungreatful or anything, I never said I was a boat expert. I only said that I have had Sea Eagle, (years ago with my grandfather). I simply trying to find some input on a boat that I could take the family out on the lake overnight. I agree with you that the sea eagles are great boats, I just need something bigger. I really do apprieciate all your help. Again, I didn't mean to come off like a know it all or anything, This is why I'm here (looking for advise from people with expeirence). Thank you for time, I apprieciate it!<br />Later,<br />goof

JB

You didn't come off as a know-it-all. I was not offended. Perhaps I was too crisp in my recommendations. Sorry 'bout that. Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

page62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One thing to consider: used boats can be much cheaper in the off-season. Every year it seems there are people either too foolish or too hard up to wait for spring to sell their boats. Take advantage of the opportunity -- but be patient!

goof

Cadet

Thats what I was thinking. Up here in NY the boating season really dies around the middle to end of September. But there are a few people selling now. Prices have been coming down all summer, not to mention a lot more for sale as summer passes. Alot of people here pay to have their boat stored for winter. And that is why alot of people sell around here. But I can store it in my barn till spring. Another couple weeks and boats will be dirt cheap.<br />Later,<br />goof