What are your opinions on this boat?

Jermy-Jinky

Seaman
Ok, gang, I trust everyone's advice here, so I just found something that could be what I'm looking for.
The good:
Boat: 2000 Sea Ray Sundeck 210 (in IMMACULATE condition, always stored covered indoors)
Motor: 477 hours on a 5.0L 220 horsepower Alpha I MCM stern drive
The bad:
Boat currently doesn't run. Seller states boat mechanic states that it needs an ignition control module.

Price is "make an offer".

I obviously don't want to get burned again...so aside from the motor issues, I would go over this thing with a magnifying glass and a fine tooth comb...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ignition trigger is a common problem for 1998-2003 mercrusiers. that is a $40 part

offer $500

Jermy-Jinky

Seaman
I threw out the offer for $500...let's see what happens...fingers crossed...🤞

**Edit**
He responded already with a "no" to the $500 and countered with $8000.

Last edited:

nola mike

Vice Admiral
If it's the ignition sensor, that's $40 and 30 minutes like scott said. If it's the ICM, that's $700 and 30 minutes of time. Either way, I'm suspect of anybody selling something that just needs an easy fix (why wouldn't you fix it?). I'd

1) Verify that you're not getting a spark. Assume that the entire ignition system needs to be replaced. Double the cost of that, discount your offer accordingly
OR
2) Come up with what you would pay for it in working condition, offer him that amount if he fixes it
OR
3) Have him guarantee that that's the problem, with a right to return (plus your parts cost) if it isn't.

For any of those scenarios ask to see the mechanic's diagnosis.

I'd be willing to bet he won't go for any of the above.

Scott06

Admiral
Agreed that it is always funny to see boats cars etc listed with easy fix... why wouldnt seller fix it and get more money for a runner.

Either of those issues at $800 I still think its a deal. I would do a compression test cold to see if the longblock is in good shape.

I bought a couple of ICMs off ebay one for my repower one for a spare https://www.ebay.com/itm/304131836709?hash=item46cfab8b25:g:7mgAAOSwIgxhMhgx

For comparison- six years ago I paid $3k for a sea ray 200 sport in perfect shape (37 hrs) except for a cracked block. I bought a new partial engine , I saved about $5-6 k vs blue book on a similar vintage boat and have so far gotten 6 trouble free years out of it ( bellows job ths winter...). So if you can get it for $800 you are doing in my opinion really well.

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
A garage find like that is a good one, and a clean boat like that doesn't come up often. If it's your kind of boat, I'd work with the guy to tie the boat up, get it off the market with a refundable deposit. Make an offer contingent on getting it running. Local marinas and mobile mechanics are both options if you aren't able to handle the work yourself.

I believe there's a good chance the guy has lost interest in the boat and doesn't want to screw with it. Don't ask him/depend on him to make any arrangements.

Jermy-Jinky

Seaman
I wish it was just $800, I could swing that no problem right now... but he said he wants $8000, which for the time being is out of the picture. We are still recovering financially from from being down for a month with the 'Rona. I was just hoping to get lucky...even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

Jermy-Jinky

Seaman
NOW he updated his listing:
Boat currently doesn't run. Boat mechanic states that it needs an ignition control module.
Boat was on the water all summer. The symptom was a random alarm that occurred after about 3 hrs of running. Boat still ran without alarm if under 3k. Mechanic took the boat out and replicated the problem but they want $1700 to fix.
If anyone is interested AS-IS, let me know. Boat's NADA low retail with tandem axel trailer is 15K and high retail is 17K (not including any of the options). 8K is a reasonable flip price this late in the season, otherwise I will fix and sell in the spring.
Boat has 5.0L 220 horsepower Alpha I MCM stern drive. Includes 2 cocktail tables, snap-in carpet liner, pressure water shower, sink with sprayer, and a large enclosed, lockable head area.
Boat is currently stored in a storage locker.
Maintenance has been done by the dealership.

Scott06

Admiral
I wish it was just $800, I could swing that no problem right now... but he said he wants $8000, which for the time being is out of the picture. We are still recovering financially from from being down for a month with the 'Rona. I was just hoping to get lucky...even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.
oh man I missed that. Ok thats a different story . Now I feel better about paying $3k ... You can always counter offer or ask his squeel point. Id have a tough time paying $8 k if I couldnt do a compression test and see oil pressure... but people are paying stupid money for boats now. I suspect you will see a lot of boats and jetskis available in 3-4 years that got bought new within the last year or so

Jermy-Jinky

Seaman
oh man I missed that. Ok thats a different story . Now I feel better about paying $3k ... You can always counter offer or ask his squeel point. Id have a tough time paying $8 k if I couldnt do a compression test and see oil pressure... but people are paying stupid money for boats now. I suspect you will see a lot of boats and jetskis available in 3-4 years that got bought new within the last year or so
I've already seen a TON of them in my area that are all from the Covid timeline...and EVERYTHING else that "floats" is being sold for top dollar. I'll land something nice eventually, or maybe not. I've lived 45 years without a boat, I'll probably be able to continue to live without one...probably. I was just hoping to be the lucky blind squirrel for once. At least I have my jet ski and the kids' kayaks to play with.

southkogs

Staff member
No way in the world I'd spend $3K or $8K on a non-running boat. If dude wants to fix the boat, then I would look at it and decide if I could afford what he was willing to let it go for. I pulled the $500 offer stunt once, and it worked out. But even in that case I wouldn't have spent even $1,000 for the boat.

No matter the price: a broken boat is still a broken boat.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
With a non-running engine, it's really a crap shoot, isn't it. The problem could be an ignition control module, or there could be much worse problems lurking. Who knows?

Assume the worse case scenario: you'd have to replace/rebuild the motor (and hope the outdrive is OK). Would the boat be worth $8000 to you?

Nashville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've already seen a TON of them in my area that are all from the Covid timeline...and EVERYTHING else that "floats" is being sold for top dollar. I'll land something nice eventually, or maybe not. I've lived 45 years without a boat, I'll probably be able to continue to live without one...probably. I was just hoping to be the lucky blind squirrel for once. At least I have my jet ski and the kids' kayaks to play with.
I don’t know anything about Mercury’s, but this doesn’t add up. Worth $15 to $17k running. Repair is $1.7k. Will take $8k as-is. The owner is leaving $5.3 to $7.3k on the table. ROI on the $1.7k repair is 3.7x at the midpoint. He/she must have an information advantage (i.e. knows more than letting on). Alternatively, he’s Forest Gump’s cousin. (P.S. If the repair is actually $1.7k, that in and of itself points to something more involved unless highway robbery is normal for your area. $40 to $800 DYI compared to the shop’s parts, markup, labor and overhead is up there. Call the mechanic.)

Jermy-Jinky

Seaman
I don’t know anything about Mercury’s, but this doesn’t add up. Worth $15 to $17k running. Repair is $1.7k. Will take $8k as-is. The owner is leaving $5.3 to $7.3k on the table. ROI on the $1.7k repair is 3.7x at the midpoint. He/she must have an information advantage (i.e. knows more than letting on). Alternatively, he’s Forest Gump’s cousin. (P.S. If the repair is actually $1.7k, that in and of itself points to something more involved unless highway robbery is normal for your area. $40 to $800 DYI compared to the shop’s parts, markup, labor and overhead is up there. Call the mechanic.)
The initial post had less information...then after I offered him $500 he edited it to add the additional information. Something smells fishy to the whole thing now and it's not even on my radar anymore. Dude is definitely up to something, because like you said, the math doesn't add up.

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
I always seem to find my gut feeling is right Way more often than its wrong.
If its smells like fish run. that smell was your warning.
My project is several Years. it's keeping my mind occupied.
But 1, 1.... DAY,. maybe. I will have a completed project and I will know literally every inch of it. and top to bottom.
If you want a project, buy a project..
$8000. (grand) aint- Or shouldn't be a project,. in my opinion.
Boats sitting around are still plentyfull,(projects)
Keep your eyes open, you'll find something.
There were 2 free Mako's in Va or Pa a few weeks ago. Guy was moving and they had to go, He couldn't give'em away.
And 1 of those was a completed project he had done several years prior and let it sit and start wasting away again.
They're out there.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
His new story makes me wonder if it's overheating when pushed. Every time someone lists the problem as a "simple" fix, it's not.

Jermy-Jinky

Seaman
His new story makes me wonder if it's overheating when pushed. Every time someone lists the problem as a "simple" fix, it's not.
Right. Like there is no such thing as a "random alarm". What were you doing or what did you fail to do to make it sound an alarm? What type of alarm was it? Boat looks well taken care of on the outside, but he obviously did something detrimental to the power plant.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the boat is a $10,000 boat at best in todays market (it was only a $15000 boat 11 years ago)

being 22 years old, there will be other issues

Jermy-Jinky

Seaman
Guy thinks he's sitting on $15-17000 based on NADA. He thinks he's asking a fair price at $8000...I think he's delusional. Asking $8000...especially at the end of the season (we are in the Midwest, Greater Cincinnati area...well he is, I'm near Lexington, KY) AND with a non-running boat with issues? You can keep it, my guy.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Guy thinks he's sitting on $15-17000 based on NADA. He thinks he's asking a fair price at $8000...I think he's delusional. Asking $8000...especially at the end of the season (we are in the Midwest, Greater Cincinnati area...well he is, I'm near Lexington, KY) AND with a non-running boat with issues? You can keep it, my guy.
Ya let him sit on it. Maybe he'll get lucky and find a sucker. My experience has been that cheap, good projects sell quickly to the hands-on guys. The average person who has to go to a mechanic doesn't want to buy something they can't dump in the water and go. For 8k he's going to be sitting on it a while. Watch for it to be relisted with a new claim of what's wrong.