what are these parts worth?

seabird

Cadet
I have a lower unit and a raker stainless prop off a 1987 225hp Johnson outboard.The outboard is at a shop and the shop said the motor needs a new powerhead and if I wanted they would just keep the outboard for the work done which is about $300.00. I dont know if I should just pay the $300.00 or part the outboard out myself Im sure the lower units ok the prop is in good condition please help.

kenthrussell

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: what are these parts worth?

If I was you I would pay the 300 ,the prop is worth that and you should be able to get 500 for the bottom end,plus parting out parts like the starter ect.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: what are these parts worth?

A like new lower unit without prop fot that engine is worth $1500... To the right person.<br />I would definitely get my engine back. I would also get a second opinion (not that I dont trust the mechanic), but I would want them to show you the damage, and then rebuild (or have it rebuilt). The dead powerhead has value too.provided the block is solid. I would like to sell you a new powerhead,and keep your old one too, is all I'm saying. And I don't know these mechanics. If you don't either (or even if you do), get that second call.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Quater Horse; The kiddy ride in front of K-Mart.