What are the guidelines to fitting trailer supports to the boat?

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There are many posts here on trailers but does anyone know of one for ?Fitting a trailer to a boat??
What I?m asking is this, is there a normal excepted standard as to what part or parts of a boat needs supports on a trailer? When I get to the point of rebuilding my trailer this winter I would like to have it ?fit? the boat proper!
Thanks

Here is my trailer

008-3.jpg

006-4.jpg

Here is my boat.

001-5.jpg

You can see in this next photo where the skids hit the boat bottom.

011-3.jpg

Notice in this next photo I had to have wood under the tire to make the boat sit level? For the most part I think A. it was not centered on the trailer and B. The bent bar in the top few photos.

005.jpg

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: What are the guidelines to fitting trailer supports to the boat?

Generally speaking, you want the transom supported and weight evenly distributed throughout keel rollers and bunks, tongue weight is also a huge factor, on a boat that size I would think you should be able to lift that tonge fairly easily by hand. In that last photo she looks pretty far aft and the transom isn't supported either.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the bunks need to be extended, they appear to the in the right position as far as center. brace on to axle need straightening.

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Generally speaking, you want the transom supported and weight evenly distributed throughout keel rollers and bunks, tongue weight is also a huge factor, on a boat that size I would think you should be able to lift that tonge fairly easily by hand. In that last photo she looks pretty far aft and the transom isn't supported either.

Sorry Army guy here :redface: (not Navy) But what way is aft?
Keel is the point on the bottom I take it? I do know what transom is though.
So over all what why does it need to move?:redface:

a70eliminator

Captain

The transom is where your motor hangs in the back, it's the strongest part of the hull and needs to support most of the weight, that way the bunks aren't pushing up through the fiberglass shell, the keel is the bottom center, it also like the transom adds to the structural rigidity of the hull, the keel and transom are the strongest areas, along with the internal stringers. Aft is just another way of specifying rear. It looks pretty good as is, but you asked.
PS: I've seen alot worse.

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A70eliminator,
I will never be offended by terminology or corrections or information from others. I am a novice with boats even though this is my second one.

I appreciate your information and descriptions of how to do the trailer.
Later tonight I will look up starboard and stern and other terminology so I can understand people without asking over and over again.
Thanks for the help.

10 FOOT INVADER

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That looks like a old hols claw trailor. Had one on my 10 foot invader. tried to use it for my 15 foot deep v john boat. Just would not work.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

stand in the middle of the boat, face the pointed end. in front of you is FORE, the pointed part is the BOW, behind you is AFT, right is STARBOARD, left is PORT, the floor is a DECK, the back of the boat is TRANSOM. center of the bottom of the hull, is the keel, the steering wheel and controls are the HELM.

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

stand in the middle of the boat, face the pointed end. in front of you is FORE, the pointed part is the BOW, behind you is AFT, right is STARBOARD, left is PORT, the floor is a DECK, the back of the boat is TRANSOM. center of the bottom of the hull, is the keel, the steering wheel and controls are the HELM.

Alright I understand most of that but when I stand in the boat and face the pointy end or the front................

you say that is fore,

for what? :confused:

Just kidding ;) LOL :D

Thanks I will read and memorize it. I truley do whant to know the proper words. Thanks!!

a70eliminator

Captain

Remember this: PORT has only 4 letters as LEFT
STARBOARD has more than 4 letters as RIGHT

I know it seems corny but thats how I relate the two.

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remember this: PORT has only 4 letters as LEFT
STARBOARD has more than 4 letters as RIGHT

I know it seems corny but thats how I relate the two.

That is like back when I was young and try to remember the difference between AM & PM.

The way I finally remembered is that AM is after midnight and PM is Pert Near Midnight. :D

So now y'all know my lineage is traced back to Kentucky! :redface:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Old trailers are cool. Even cooler when there is an old boat sitting on them. :D

dr.livingston

Seaman

This is a deck boat trailer question. Bayliner Rendezvous, 22' 4000lbs.

I bought this used boat without a trailer. Now I want to adapt a used trailer to it rather than shell out over $3000 for a new custom made trailer. I have attached a photo or the unusual hull shape as it now sits on a boat lift.

My question is this. Shall the trailer carry all the weight on the pontoons as this boat lift is doing, or should the center keel carry the weight on rollers and the pontoons just rest on bunks for stability?

Attachments

• trailer 003-s.jpg
    trailer 003-s.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a deck boat trailer question. Bayliner Rendezvous, 22' 4000lbs.

I bought this used boat without a trailer. Now I want to adapt a used trailer to it rather than shell out over $3000 for a new custom made trailer. I have attached a photo or the unusual hull shape as it now sits on a boat lift.

My question is this. Shall the trailer carry all the weight on the pontoons as this boat lift is doing, or should the center keel carry the weight on rollers and the pontoons just rest on bunks for stability?

Guys please don?t answer this question here in this thread. (look for it in a few minutes) I have PM?ed him to re post it into his own thread. I want this to get the attention it deserves and the only way is to give it its own thread.

This is a very good question.