What are the benefits of NMMA yacht certification?

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am considering two boats in the next 1-2 years, the Robalo 272 (yacht rated 27ft) and the other is the Robalo 250 (25ft). I am tied to which one I like more. I am a bit curious about what the NMMA yacht certification gets me both in Canada and the US. I am looking at moving south of the border if I can sort out some stuff so curious about both sides of the border as I'd likely want to bring the boat with me.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I am considering two boats in the next 1-2 years, the Robalo 272 (yacht rated 27ft) and the other is the Robalo 250 (25ft). I am tied to which one I like more. I am a bit curious about what the NMMA yacht certification gets me both in Canada and the US. I
Manufacturer’s standard… buys you nothing

SkaterRace

Manufacturer’s standard… buys you nothing
What's the point of including "yacht" in the class/certification name then? I know of the goal of standards, though, wasn't sure if it somehow got you different laws that apply or something like that. I know the 26ft Wellcraft I looked at had no rating for people onboard like the 24ft wellcraft I saw did

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
NMMA implies a minimum level of component quality and compliance to ABYC standards

ABYC certified means that the boat meets minimum safety standards and has been tested to the standards

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I know the 26ft Wellcraft I looked at had no rating for people onboard like the 24ft wellcraft I saw did
Boat manufacturers are required by federal law to include a capacity plate. This plate must be visible from the boat’s helm or steering area if the boat is less than 20 feet in length and motorized.

SkaterRace

Boat manufacturers are required by federal law to include a capacity plate. This plate must be visible from the boat’s helm or steering area if the boat is less than 20 feet in length and motorized.
The Wellcraft 262 fishermen I looked at had a capacity plate that showed the US as 'yacht' and Canadian as 'X people' I forget the actual number but think it was 12.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The Wellcraft 262 fishermen I looked at had a capacity plate that showed the US as 'yacht' and Canadian as 'X people' I forget the actual number but think it was 12.
What’s the hang up with “yacht(s)”?
Yacht classification starts at 40’ and go up from there

1669592588063.gif

SkaterRace

What’s the hang up with “yacht(s)”?
Yacht classification starts at 40’ and go up from there
No real hang up just got curious about it since I saw that most boats above 26ft have 'yacht' on the rating plate. No clue if it actually mattered or not. If it gave some advantage might be worth a bit bigger boat otherwise might not be worth going bigger as I don't really need it and cost wise I'd like cheaper since we are already over $250k CAD for the ones I am looking at.

So yeah mostly just curious about what that certification provides since I see boats at 26ft have it when I always considered 50ft+ a yacht. I thought maybe it had to do with drinking/sleeping/living/people rating/etc but could not find a good source on it so was hoping someone here might know since this forum has the smartest boating guys I've seen online

KD4UPL

Yacht certified means it's up to the captain to make sure the boat isn't overloaded with people or gear. You don't get a set number of people to go by. It would be worth a lot to me. I have 3 kids and often boat with another family with a bunch of kids. We are often at the person limit but nowhere near the weight limit.

SkaterRace

Yacht certified means it's up to the captain to make sure the boat isn't overloaded with people or gear. You don't get a set number of people to go by. It would be worth a lot to me. I have 3 kids and often boat with another family with a bunch of kids. We are often at the person limit but nowhere near the weight limit.
Ah okay that makes sense with what I saw then. The boats still had weight limits on the plates but not person limits just 'yacht'. I think for me that isn't of much value as I boat with 2-6 people at most

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Placard Required Information
There are two main types of NMMA placards you will see on recreational vessels. For boats less than 26 feet in length (and all pontoon boats), a ‘Capacity Tag’ is used, listing NMMA and U.S. Coast Guard safety standard compliance statements and information about the max capacity of the vessel. Vessels 26 feet or larger will have a ‘Yacht Certification’ plate with compliance statements, but no capacity information.

The main reason for this difference is that federal law dictates that all vessels 20 feet or smaller must contain capacity information. NMMA takes a more conservative approach and requires any NMMA-certified vessel under 26 feet to have this. Currently, there are no federal laws regarding capacity management for larger vessels 26 feet and longer.