What are symtoms of a bad timerbase?

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1994 Johnson 115 model# J115TLARC. I have filled the manual as well as this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhsCVTA7U5M my boat planes out find at WOT but is a bit shaky from 1000 to 2000/2500 Rpms. At wide open throttle I'm sitting at about 33 degrees BTDC. I have no more adjustment on the max spark advance rod. I can not advance it any further. I plan to pull the flywheel and check for a sheared key tomorrow but wasn't sure what to check next if thay is not the problem. Thinking timer base but was hoping some one here might have answers. Verified pointer, redid the link in sync of the carbs with the OMC manual and the Video that follows the manual. Starts and runs fine but burns fuel pretty heavy. Will a bad timer base cause these symtoms?

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
please check and post compression #'s. does it run fine at WOT? any loss of power? the timer base can stick, if you get the "dreaded ooze" situation from the stator coils melting. do you have a DVA adaptor for multimeter? you can check voltage with one. One of my favorite tests is the running voltage at the coil primaries. this tells you how much voltage you are getting at the end of the ignition system (basically a running output test minus coils), will need CDI coil extenders for the test.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your timer base is rotating too much !!-----Need to adjust it so it stops when timing is at 28 degrees.---What other trouble shooting has been done.----Post compression test numbers again.

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That us the problem, I have used up all the adjustment on the max spark advance screw and it will not advance any further. Compression is around 118 to 122 on all 4. Would a bad timerbase cause this. I still check the flywheel key but I am unsure what to chase next if the flywheel key is not sheared. Was thinking timerbase?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You do not want the timer base to advance any further !!!!-----In fact you want to stop the CCW rotation before it goes past 28 degrees !-----Does spark jump a 7/16 " gap on all 4 cylinders on a test device.------Set the maximum timing advance at 28 degrees.-----Test run with a timing light on 1 cylinder at a time.----Do you have a steady flash from idle to full throttle on each cylinder , yes or no ?

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did not see your 1st post. I do not have a dva tester but if I have to pick one up i will. There does seem to be a lot of slop in the spark advance rod as well. Probably 1/4 inch of play at the top of the spark advance arm

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Should probably give a little back story. Last season I replaced the pack due "no spark on Clinder 3", replaced the rectifier "chasing down a no oil alarm that turned a pinched tach wire in the control box" , converted to a conventional fuel pump instead of the VRO. Just replaced all 4 coils to fix a hesitation at acceleration issue.