What are Katrina victims "Entitled" to?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: What are Katrina victims "Entitled" to?

Why is it that only the large disasters get the money, what about poor joe schmo who's house burned down. He had no insurance and now has nothing.<br /><br />What is the difference between the two? Only the scale.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

Feds control security now, but not in 2001...sure the CIA/NSA whoever else determined the level of threat, FAA set the standards & certified the programs, but end of the day, regretably, we lost control of the aircraft with catastrophic results. The "security" connection was mostly a rationalization. Uncle sam wrote the check, but it wasn't his liability. "...a bail-out of the airlines" is what I called it above.<br />
Legaleze, at best. Forget common sense.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Giving someone a "HAND UP" is what America is all about. Giving someone a "teet" to suck on the rest of their lives is not what this country is supposed to be about. Furthermore, that "hand up" is for US citizens, not illegal aliens. I for one, am tired of paying for illegals to raise their family.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I think they are entitled, on a case by case basis, to the compassion of their countrymen and to whatever help those countrymen are able and inclined to offer.
After last night's speech, I believe the govenment is going to see to it that you and I are "inclined to offer" a whole lot more.<br /><br />
Orinially posted by DJ:<br />Since when did living/or not through a disaster become a winning lottery ticket?
Apparantly that is the way it is now.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Ummmm.....I was there..... Really.<br /><br />I was vacationing in New Orleans the day Katrina struck.<br /><br />Yeah, that's right!<br /><br />And I was riding in a bus. A public transportation bus. <br /><br />Yeah.... <br /><br />And the storm surge made the bus crash and I was injured. <br /><br />Yeah, that's it... <br /><br />And Pres. Bush didn't tell the city of New Orleans to tell me to evacuate the city because a big hurricane was coming and it caused the bus to crash and I was injured and NOW THOSE B****RDS OWE ME SOME BIG F*****G MONEY RIGHT NOW! I DEMAND MY RESTITUTION!!!!!<br /><br />Yep, that's exactly how it happened....<br /><br />Yeah.... :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Why is it that only the large disasters get the money, what about poor joe schmo who's house burned down. He had no insurance and now has nothing.<br /><br />What is the difference between the two? Only the scale.<br /><br />Ken
I take your point, but scale isn't nothing. If joe schmo is me, he has a support system of friends & family to get him over the hump, and he still has his job. <br /><br />(well actually if he's me he has fire insurance & gets a nice new house...hmmmm.)

KaGee

Admiral

<< tossing J a pack of matches...... snick!

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br />Somewhat off topic, but I also have some philosophical issues with the formulas upon which the 9-11 awards were based. I know it was based on fairly standard existing legal precident (expected lifetime earings),
Well, this is perfect. For many of these people, their expected lifetime earnings are zero. :D (ok, that's my one politically-incorrect joke for the day)

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Now this just my opinion........ Why should us tax payers that chose to live on above sea level land be responsible for those who chose to live 17' below it. If you had INS.....use it... If not don't live there. I do agree that the Local Government has some part with it.... But let it come from them...LOCALLY not federal. I feel sorry about those people... much like I feel sorry if I hear of a tornado around here. But if a tornado rips a slice through a town... what pays for the damages... INSURANCE...<br /><br />Lets figure it out.... you chose to live there now suffer the Conciquences (not spelled right)

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

These folks are "entitled to" as well as deserving of the same that YOU would NEED to get your **** together after having your life as you knew it removed by these circumstances. <br /><br />My family and I just had a storm front through WI that had 80 mph winds, sheets of rain and so forth. Lights flickered, lost the sat TV signal for a few moments. ( and that may be a statement of how pampered I am that I noticed that, anyone else that pampered?)<br /><br />As I watched this front move by, I thought of the folks in the Delta region and felt for them. <br /><br />Right now the media is reporting this and that, the talking heads are making statements of similar crap. And we sit here on this board *****ing about a relative minority who are displaying ****ty behavior with resources given to them by us the whole. Please recognize that the majority a busting *** to get their lives back together. least wise that is what my Family and I would be doing.<br /><br />Thank you for your patience in reading this blather...........

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

pjc, I believe I speak for the majority of the board when I say this.<br /><br />I (we) have no problem with those that are busting their chops to get their lives back together. But those are not the ones complaining that we, America and the government, aren't doing enough to help them.<br /><br />It is the ones doing the least that are complaining the most. THAT is what I (we) have a problem with.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Look wilkin, I may claim that I speak for the remaining members of the board. But, the **** head NO cheaters are a relative minority. Yet some in the media will sensationalize these examples to inflame passion from us, we the general population, not only of iboats, but our country. I choose to attempt to see through that fog and look at and evaluate the whole. I ain't said much on this topic 'till now to give time for the smoke to clear so to speak.<br /><br />Members here may choose to view a reported abuse in a hysterical fashion and thus label all the folks that are struggling to reclaim their livelihoods, both rich, as well as poor as opportunists, but, what if it was YOU my man????<br /><br />wilkin250r, ya called me on the carpet. I do not appreciate you claim that you, through your assumption, speak for the majority of this board.

ebbtide176

Commander

whoa you guys, i think you're both saying the same thing, and i'm speaking for the majority sitting here at this desk :D <br /><br />they deserve some peptalks, and cheers on surviving, and the right to pursue a new place to live, to continue working, or get out and get a job, or go pick up their govn asst check. that's about it. the city probably will have to get fed asst because all states get that during a declared emergency/disaster (i believe).<br /><br />i bet there's been plenty of charitable giving that can help them individually, if they didn't have insurance. i don't think the govrnmt owes them anything extra as individuals.<br /><br />but it sure seems like the poor could get some work if they go back, just in all the building/service trades that will be pouring into rebuilding the affected areas. heck, if they hurry back, they might get the manual labor jobs before the immigrants flowing over the borders get there ;) <br /><br />i have a list of 4pgs, 79 countries that have given/pledged huge amts of $$$ to help out on katrina relief. i didn't total it up, but its(ok its around 1.3billion)plus we're throwing another 200billion on it.

FLATHEAD

Captain

No Problems. Five people need jobs and only have one car, I am sure that can be worked out with just a little pep talk. Potential employers have no problem with hiring folks with no available work history, easy as pie. Need to replace your flooded car so you can get to work? No problem!! Just as soon as the parish is safe we will look at your car and pay out the insurance, till then I guess you can walk. Health care? Well now son I can not seem to contact your employer to verify this policy, I'll guess you'll have to pay. Oh and by the way I think I just saw a picture of your house that you worked your tail off for, shame it's under water. Heck It'll be alright. After all, These fellas at the computer have it all figured out. If you just had the comfort of your home and your PC you would know that It's really not that hard to deal with. Assistance? We dont need no stinking assistance!!

ebbtide176

Commander

i sense a hint of sarcasm there. let me give you an example of my point:<br /><br />my uncle lost his wife, was raising 4 kids. actually his oldest(only)son was doing alot of the home/farm duties, while uncle was out working. now uncle didn't have job history, he was a fulltime farmer. like everyone, you have to start somewhere, and he did, i did, you did.<br /><br />then his house burned down to the ground - and he didn't have insurance. he scratched around, sold some farm eqmt, got a little charitable help, finally got a small singlewide for him and his 4kids. <br /><br />then his only son died at 19yro. he struggled along, even got some gov asst. <br />but uncle sam didn't go over there and give him anything special for his lost home & son. he got some general asst that has been available for people all along.<br />-<br /><br />now tell me what the NO people are entitled to that i missed. did you say you don't need any help? i didn't realize you fled N/O...<br /><br />maybe you oughta join a PAC to have the govrnmt give them all another car. i had to bum rides 3yrs of my life, are you too proud to do it? there is mass transit in metro areas, people put up numerous websites to offer to take in families. i think our hospitals already can't turn anyone away, we have shelter & food given freely, and lots of charitable orgs will help if you seek them out. if you say you can't make a ph call then you might just be a little too helpless.<br />BTW i know there's charitable $$$ out there - i gave some ;) <br /><br />hava goodun

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

One thing is for sure.... If they chose to build there home there... with those chances, I do not believe FEMA should give them up to $250,000.00 to rebuild a home in the same location.... If history repeats itself... they will pay out another $250,000 again to rebuild... I'm sorry but that is a bunch of Bull since they choose to live there. <br /><br />With charities, Insurance and such fine...but no way should it come out of tax payers money. <br /><br />Why do I or anyone else want to pay for people that built homes were they shouldn't be in the first place to rebuild over and over again. <br /><br />They took a chance... Rolled the dice and the dealer won. Live with it but no way should they get extra hand out.<br /><br />My basement floods... there flood insurance, roof gets torn off...go figure home owners Insurance. If you can't afford insurance on the house you have.... Maybe you should'nt own it. <br /><br />Storm comes through town and drops softball size hail through 75% of the Metro Area... WHO PAYED FOR IT..... INSURANCE...no charities...no government, no hand outs.... Nothing extra... Think softball size hail couldn't do much damage? Through 16 Softballs at your car and see how it looks.... but again INSURANCE..<br /><br />Get the picture???? People go through this loss everyday... and do not get anything extra.... They built homes in the wrong place.... and it's not just there.... If YOU built it figure out a way FOR YOU to protect it.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Originally posted by ebb:<br /> .<br />-<br /><br />now tell me what the NO people are entitled to that i missed. did you say you don't need any help? i didn't realize you fled N/O...<br /><br />
No I did not flee NO, But the five relatives living with me did ! Does that qualify as giving help to those in need in your book Ebb :mad: <br /><br />If you think for one minute that a farm burning and the hard luck story of your uncle, or a hail storm is even remotely close to the same playing field as this tragedy in NO your off your rocker.<br /><br />The ignorance here is unbelievable :( <br /><br />DJ, The fed cut loose 951 million dollars for Mt saint helens, plenty of that money was spent to assist the 200 home owners that lost there homes, and also to help business owners.

KaGee

Admiral

You guys have sort of swayed this thread off point. The Katrina victims need and deserve our assistance... and they are getting it. From everything that's transpired in the last week they are going to get a ton more. Billions worth.<br /><br />I started this topic based upon a statement I personally heard on national TV by the previous mayor of NO. For the record... he is BLACK. What he said had NOTHING to do with the assistance these people are getting immediately. He said they were ENTITLED to COMPENSATION.<br /><br />Now we can discuss what the response should be to help our brothers and sisters in times of disasters. I believe JB stated that very well. But that IS NOT what this former Mayor was talking about.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

[sarcasm on] Well if his honor the Mayor believes the people are "entitled to compensation" Tell him to get his check book out and start writing. [sarcasm off]<br /><br />If, and this is a big if, because I am not sure if this type of program exist. But if the federal gov. or any level of gov. established a disaster relief fund that is/was funded by tax dollars these victims would be entitled to some portion of it. If no such program exists I see no entitlement owed. This is of course independent of what I believe the victims should receive as far as assistances in getting reestablished.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Included in Fema is a Disaster relief fund. From taxpayers money... they give home owners rebuilding money...up to 250,000 to rebuild. If they rebuild in the same spot (most will) and a storm comes through two years out... As it stands right now FEMA will fork out another up to 250,000 for them to rebuild... this is crap... I do not believe in it what so ever. Let the Insurance companies pay this out. Why have insurance if the Government FEMA peeps will bale you out???