What are Katrina victims "Entitled" to?

KaGee

Admiral
I heard an interview this morning with the former Mayor of NO who flat out said on national TV that the displaced NO vitims of Katrina are "Entitled" to compensations simular to the 911 fund that was established. <br /><br />Now, correct me if I'm wrong... the 911 fund was established to create compensation for those victims of 9-11, in order to pre-empt massive lawsuits and the economic devistation that would have followed. Those who received compensation waived their right to litegate.<br /><br />So what correlation is there between these two tragic events? Does suffering through a natural disaster now "entitle" one to a wad of cash? Hey, go through a hurricane... hit the jackpot!<br /><br />At what point do we draw the line? When does a "hand up" become a "hand out"? :confused:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: What are Katrina victims "Entitled" to?

They are entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.<br /><br />I agree with your complete post.<br /><br />If I was in their exact same circumstance; If I lost my job, and home and had no insurance, I would only ask for a loan from my government to rebuild. I would also gladly accept free food and shelter the first week. After the first week I would find a job.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

Does suffering through a natural disaster now "entitle" one to a wad of cash? Hey, go through a hurricane... hit the jackpot!<br />
Unfortunately, that's the direction we are headed.<br /><br />The 911 decision to compensate those families for an act of war was a VERY BAD decision.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

kagee, you got it exactly right. And Ken.<br /><br />DJ, with respect, the 911 victims weren't compensated for an act of war, but for the plane crashes. They had actionable causes to sue the airlines and maybe the WTC. Insurance would not have covered due to "acts of war, whether declared or undeclared" exceptions. The compensation was for pain & suffering, loss of life, etc. The federal government stepped in & paid, probably less than what lawsuits would have been settled for, but it was a bail-out of the airlines, not federal compensation to the victims.<br /><br />Whether or not we would have been found liable is a moot point at this stage (probably so--if you get on my plane, I have a duty to avoid killing you, that includes not letting some a-hole take over the controls); the powers that be determined that we most likely would have settled most of the claims rather than go to court.<br /><br />So who is it that Mr. Nagin feels is liable for the hurricane?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> So who is it that Mr. Nagin feels is liable for the hurricane?
That's already been established jtexas. Robert F Kennedy Jr has declared that GWB was responsible because he failed to sign the Kyoto Treaty. You know, that treaty that strangles the US while allowing Third World countries to continue spewing out pollution without regulation.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

jtexas is 100% correct (did I just say that) :D .<br /><br />The airlines would have been probably found at fault for their lax security. We all knew security was a joke before 9/11.<br /><br />As for the flooding of NO, there is no one at fault because the residents knew for a long time if a hurrican came, it would be flooded. It was an assumed risk, they gambled and lost. Tough break, here is a few bucks to get you started, but after that your on your own.<br /><br />Ken

KaGee

Admiral

"So who is it that Mr. Nagin feels is liable for the hurricane?"<br /><br />It wasn't Nagin.... it was his predecessor. I forget his name. He wasn't necessarily blaming anybody, just saying they all were "entitled" to compensation.<br /><br />Geez.... my lower back really hurts right now... wonder if I'm entitled for compensation. :p <br /><br />BTW... rumor has it Bush plans to announce a $200 BILLION.... ya, you read it right $200 Billion Katrina rebuild package tonight. This in addition to the already allocated $61 Billion, then add all the Bush/Clinton and charity money on top of that. Talk about hitting the lottery! <br /><br />I can hear the Libs wringing their hands in gleeful anticipation of getting ahold of that money.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Here is the way I see it.<br /><br />Just as you guys have said, after 9-11, it's a pretty sure bet that everybody would be pointing fingers at the airlines, and possibly the FAA, for the 9-11 attacks. The 9-11 fund was really a tool to prevent massive lawsuits.<br /><br />True, you can't blame anybody for a hurricane, but my bet says they would point the finger at the city of New Orleans for not making the levies strong enough to hold.<br /><br />Of course Mayor Nagin is saying that victims are entitled to compensation similar to 9-11. Otherwise, it's HIS butt in the sling...

Todd Humphreys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Living 60 miles west of New Orleans, I feel sorry for those folks that has lost everything and those who only lost electricity. I don't condone the actions of those (the looters, gangs, rapist, vandals, etc, etc.) who made a catatrophic disaster worse than what it was. Those are the one's that thinks the gov't owe's the something. Not to be racist, but they must think that this is reparation for slavery. :mad:

Realgun

Commander

Personnally we should cleanup the streets and rebuild the dikes or levies. Let the residents who have insurance fix their homes those without should be helped a little but not to the point of full benefits!<br /><br />Let the city take responsability for some of the damage as well as the state.<br /><br />We should help our fellow Citizens but not go overboard.<br /><br />We should teach then to fish not hand them a fish so to speak!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br /> my bet says they would point the finger at the city of New Orleans for not making the levies strong enough to hold.<br />
Aren't the levees the jurisdiction of the Army Corps of Engineers?<br /><br />hey donkdaddy, you take any damage?

Todd Humphreys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The levees of the Mississippi River are under the Corp of Engrs, The levees (sea wall) around the city are under New Orleans Levee board.<br /><br />No damage to my home or property, but many trees in the neighborhood were blown over. I was one of the lucky one, and only lost electricity for two days.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

To be honest, I don't really know who has jurisdiction of the levees. You're probably right.<br /><br />In fact, to be REALLY honest, I never really cared about the disaster in New Orleans at all. They were given evacuation notice, those that didn't heed it, I have a hard time feeling sorry for them.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Agree with most posts above (except Boomyal's; after reading alot of his posts, it seems like he takes almost any opportunity to lash out, regardless of how relevent his response is to the intent of the discussion. Sorry to single you out, but you seem so much more hostile than most of the praticipants here, either conservative or liberal. You may intend some of it as humor, but the repeated nature of your responses seems to me to be more rooted in anger than in humor. Just my take, fwiw, which may be little :) .)<br /><br />I understand the reasoning behind the 9-11 settlements, but it did set a tricky precident, as well as raise some valid pre-precident (I think I just made up a word) issues.<br /><br />For example, what do you say to families of the Oklahoma City bombing victims? Or to families of those killed in the first bombing of the WTC in the early 90's? <br /><br />Somewhat off topic, but I also have some philosophical issues with the formulas upon which the 9-11 awards were based. I know it was based on fairly standard existing legal precident (expected lifetime earings), but that seems inherently unfair according to my value system. Who really lost more in the tragedy, a family with a Dad who had settled for a lower paying job so he could become very close to and spend alot of time with his family, or a family with a Dad so committed to his career he made lots of money but worked so much he barely knew his kids (and probably had loads of life insurance to boot)? Just a mini ethical rant on how we value life in our legal system....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think they are entitled, on a case by case basis, to the compassion of their countrymen and to whatever help those countrymen are able and inclined to offer.<br /><br />People are put into desperate circumstances by natural causes every day, often individually, sometimes en mass. Some because they took foolish risk, some in spite of all reasonable effort to avoid the effects of nature. I think all of those contributed to the circumstances of the Katrina refugees, and that some are deserving (NOT entitled) of more help (NOT "compensation") than others.<br /><br />That's my view.

QC

Supreme Mariner

This thread made me think of something. Shouldn't all sufferers of carpal tunnel syndrome caused by mouse clicking sue Al Gore for inventing the Internet? Hmmmm . . . Sure we should name Steve Jobs and Gates too, so that we get the deeper pockets going, but Gore really started this thing didn't he?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

As I see it those who choose to live in areas susceptible to natural disasters must accept what comes their way. If you live in an area protected from flooding by a system of levees or dykes you need to know just how much protection you are being afforded. If the system is rated for a cat 3 storm, and a cat 3 storm hit and the levees hold your good to go. But if a cat 2 storm breaches the levees someone figured something wrong and liability becomes an issue. <br /><br />There is NO comparison between 9-11 and Katrina and NONE can be drawn. 9-11 was an act/acts of terrorism. Katrina was an act of nature.<br /><br />The areas of devastation and destruction on 9-11 were times smaller and therefore more manageable.<br /><br />That said, as for what is owed to those devastated and displaced by Katrina I can see granting seed money (for lack of a better term) to get people back on their feet, and low rate federal loans for those wanting to rebuild what they lost. The individuals not capable of fending for themselves, back on welfare they go. As for those capable of supporting themselves, who choose to live solely off state or federal assistance, I’m open for suggestions. Every one I talk to says their tired of supporting those who choose not to support themselves.

D

DJ

jtexas, wrote:<br /><br />
DJ, with respect, the 911 victims weren't compensated for an act of war, but for the plane crashes. They had actionable causes to sue the airlines and maybe the WTC. Insurance would not have covered due to "acts of war, whether declared or undeclared" exceptions
THEY WERE COMPENSATED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. That means you and me. REGARDLESS OF INSURANCE PAYOUTS.<br /><br />The airlines, got a pass. With good reason. The Fed's control security.<br /><br />What about Mt. St. Helens? What about OK City? They got-ZIP.<br /><br />Since when did living/or not through a disaster become a winning lottery ticket?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"Feds control security"...well...actually...<br /><br />Feds control security now, but not in 2001...sure the CIA/NSA whoever else determined the level of threat, FAA set the standards & certified the programs, but end of the day, regretably, we lost control of the aircraft with catastrophic results. The "security" connection was mostly a rationalization. Uncle sam wrote the check, but it wasn't his liability. "...a bail-out of the airlines" is what I called it above.<br /><br />Insurance coverage would have made a big difference - commercial aviation insurance is underwritten by huge multi-national syndicates (I can vouch for that from first-hand knowlege), they could've covered it & survived. This is pretty much how airline mgmt viewed the situation.<br /><br />Anyway, 911 was different because you had a defendant, this time, no defendant.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

They are ENTITLED to nothing financially. It is a cold heart that would allow that. But a direct answer to your question is nothing. <br /><br />The delay not withstanding, aid is everywhere and people have opened their doors and pocketbooks to those who have been put in the worst of situations.