What age for kid to ?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Just curious as to what age you think is ok to do the following<br /><br /><br />Ride bike to school alone?<br /><br />Stay at home alone for an hour?<br /><br />Ken

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What age for kid to ?

18.<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />My daughter will be 35 on her first date. If she's not a nun by then that is.

LadyFish

Admiral

12, but it depends on the kid and the neighborhood you live in too.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

after they are out on their own nowadays damn it. <br /><br />" Hellow son, you wish to date my daughter, see that pole in front of the house? Thats my nut pole! Mess w/ my daughter and thats where your......."<br /><br />" see here son, remember that what ever you do to my daughter, I will do to you!"<br /><br />my kids are 5 &7, I am the most paranoid dad now, even though we are fairly rural, due to nut jobs getting ideas.<br /><br />Seriously, stay home by lonesome?...depends on the kids about 8 years from now. The bike ride is about 2+ miles, so 'till they can drive, the bus. Then wee will see?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Ride bike - 14 or 15.<br /><br />Stay at home alone - 16 or 17.<br /><br />PJC, you are the SECOND most paranoid dad. <br /><br />Last night my daughter (17)(boyfriend standing next to her) asked if she could go to a party at her boyfriends house on sat night. <br /><br />The boyfriend suggested that she stay over rather than travel home after the party. Isn't he thoughtful.<br /><br />My answer was yes, followed by a lecture.<br /><br />I don't remember the exact words I used, but my wife said that the words 'blunt knife' & 'testicles' dominated the lecture.<br /><br />I'm told that it's time to let go, but I can't - not just yet.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I rode my bike to school in the 4th grade. It was about a mile trip and crossed a busy road.<br /><br />Were fixing to move to a better neighborhood but the school will be 6 miles away in the new place.<br /><br />My son wants to ride his bike to school (about 1/2 mile) before we move. I think its a good independence builder, but my wife thinks he is too young.<br /><br />Ken

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Agreed Dunaruna.........!

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

KZ, your have a heck of an opportunity here due to the distance. IMO, that half mile gives you opportunity to stay back, but in eyesight of your sons ride. Best you can, or the Misses, monitor the initial rides, if well, bless your more independent Son. The short distance is favorable.<br /><br />Look, I have just typed and then backspaced much relating to an experience many years ago that involved a pervert who started "pounding" it while talking "chit" at me while I was casting a mepps spinner...ran my butt up the hill and rode my bike like a nut 'till I got home and told ma and dad...cops came, dad about went nuts.....no harm to me accept to this day I am hugely aware of the pigish perverts out that WILL prey on kids. People, this was a real BIOTCH for me to type just now...but....<br /><br /> caution prevails. Your call

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I know what you are talking about PJC, freakin psychos ruin it for everyone.<br /><br />The good thing about it is that the road is well traveled.<br /><br />Gonna give it more thought.<br /><br />Ken

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I let my kids (3yr old girl and 5 year old boy) do alot more independently then my wife would ever allow. She infact thought I was nuts when I told her that I just dropped son(kindergardner) off at the sidewalk goin to the door to the school and watched him walk up... It depends on how well you "trust" your childrens decisions. Would I let my child cross the street on his own?...no cause I don't trust that he would look both ways.. instead just run out there. I would however walk with him to the end... make sure he looks and tell him he can go. If I felt my child was able to make the right decisions and do as he has been taught or told, I wouldn't have a real big issue with it... the wife on the other hand.....

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

This is coming from a mom.. If something bad was to happen in the event that you did leave your children alone... The question is, Will you be able to live with a clear mind on your decession. We as parents are our childrens keeper and we take the responsibility onto which sometimes there is just no control.. Kids will do stupid kid things when were not around anyway.. Responsibility and trust is earned.. I feel the best age to start is at 10yrs old depending on the child and only at 15minutes left alone total. Then talk to them about how they felt being totally alone.. Ask them what they did while you were gone. This will give you insight to what they may do in the future..<br />As for Dates/dating.. 14 is to young; 15 is scary; and 16 is just crazy.. The thing to ask yourself is , What were you doing at those ages? You'll probally lock them away until 18, but then of course that will not teach them about the world and the many disappointment and joys of becoming an adult..

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I had my drivers license (not a restricted one) when I was 14 here in SC. We were car dating at that age. What the hell were the parents of the girls we dated thinking letting them go out with boys, much less going off with them in cars at that age. No way my step-daughter will be doing crap like that....nuh uh.... not as long as I'm breathing. Come to think of it...what the hell were our parents thinking letting us have the family car at that age? My son, who is now 25, wasn't allowed to stay home alone at 14.. much less be trusted to drive a car.

tommays

Admiral

and this is why my children see so many other children GO WILD when they get turned lose at collage<br /><br />you have to let your children do things with an increaseing level of risk as they grow up<br /><br />and they have to know that they will lose the right to that thing if they break the ground rules<br /><br /><br />tommays

PW2

Commander

I absolutely agree with you, Tommays.<br /><br />There is no magical age. Hopefully kids are taught to make their own choices with increasing responsibilities from an early age, and they will demonstrate when they are ready for what.<br /><br />We went by this rule: encourage the kid to make as many decisions in their own life as possible, and never ask a question where "no" is not an acceptable response.

ehenry

Commander

My son started staying at home alone when he was 10. Since we live too far out for him to have ridden his bike to school, I probably would have let him ride it to school at 13.....he's been driving himseilf and the kid down the road to school since he was 15...he's 17 now.

one more cast

Captain

well lets see, NYS lowered the hunting age to 12 so I would sure hope a 12 year old could ride a bike to school or stay home alone if they are allowed to carry a loaded gun.

ehenry

Commander

Dont mean to hijack the thread...but lowered the hunting age to 12?? Does that mean they have to have a license or 12 or below an adult has to be present.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Most ten year olds could spend an hour at home alone during the day...but coming home to an empty house is a different question.<br /><br />Neighborhood school 2-3 miles away, probably 7th grade, general rule.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

State law around here says if a child under the age of 13 is left home alone, parents can be prosecuted. They don't always do it, but if something happens.....

magster65

Commander

My kids still only 2 so I have a little while yet. My girlfriend's son is 10, he rides to school now and also spends an hour, sometimes two, at home alone after school. He's a very mature 10 so this is fine. I used to come home from work to check on him... he makes himself a quick snack, does his homework or watches tv. He's earned the trust and I don't forsee any problems. On the contrary, there are some older punks in our neighborhood that aren't trustworthy at all... yeah, the troublemakers! They shouldn't be left alone until they grow up... which is fine. I guess what I mean is that there isn't really an age that would cover all kids. As the parent you know when the time is right. <br />As for the 'nutcases'... I think I'm with the majority here, if I saw someone doing something wrong to a child... I'd administer enough hurt to make sure they'd not be doing that again.