What age do you allow your kids freedom?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
I was going to say, "let her go skating", but then, you stated it was in France...Um...given that, I would Keep her in the wool, and protect her from the evil forces who want to take her to France.<br /><br />FRANCE?<br />Seriously tho, I let my son go to several BSA jamborees out-of-state at that age.<br />I would seriously be cocerned about security. French hate Americans much more than we hate them.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: What age do you allow your kids freedom?

Let her go.. :) Bet they need shaparones, Dad... ;)

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What age do you allow your kids freedom?

Eldest daughter age 10 has been asked by school is she would like to go on a skiing trip she will be 11 when they go. Now its in France obviously that counts against it, but one part of me wants to let her experience it but the Dad in me wants to keep her rolled up in cotton wool. What age did you guys let your kids away for a few nights in a foreign country (appreciate the size of America so different state will do!). <br /><br />Who said being a parent was easy?

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I'm with snapperbait.<br />11 is pretty appropriate. I have a 14, a 13, and an 11 year old boys.<br />Each was very different in what age they got to do things alone.<br />However, 11 was about right.<br /><br />AK Chappy

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My 4 children (one is now a grandma) got freedom in small doses beginning at around 6, and increasing in small doses as they showed more responsibility and wisdom in using what they had.<br /><br />By the time they graduated High School they were all ready to handle life.<br /><br />Yes, they made mistakes and learned from them. They knew that their mom and dad were always there to support them in accepting responsibility for their own behavior.<br /><br />I think sheltering children from responsibility and risk is a mistake. The trick is in starting small and increasing on an "as earned" basis. Sooner or later they have to face the whole world of adulthood. . . alone. The more practice they have had, the better off they are.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

How well do you know the crowd she would be going with? That would be a huge factor in my decision. If I had any doubts, I would accompany her. I might do that anyway. She'll still gain all of the 'growth' experience, from the trip, with her Daddy along as a chaparone.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Chris, I have recently debated and resolved (with myself) that same issue, in my case I looked at 4 aspects of the trip. 1: The country she will be going to. 2: The distance from home (the further she goes the more anxiety for the parents). 3: Teacher to student ratio (especially female teachers). 4: My daughters maturity.<br /><br />Only you & your partner can decide but I don't think that England to France is a big deal.<br /><br />My daughter went to Japan for 4 weeks - I didn't sleep for 4 weeks, but it was an opportunity of a lifetime and she came home with a better understanding of the world we live in.<br /><br />My 2 cents worth.<br /><br />Aldo

LubeDude

Admiral

Wow, thats a tough one, It would really depend on the people she was going with, I was going to say that she earns freedom and trust and that it isnt a right. You should know by age ten if she can be trusted to mind the people she is going with or not. Worry on Dude.

NYMINUTE

Captain

When they have the responsibility to match the authority. The chrono age is a poor barometer for freedom. My oldest son was mature and respectful at 14, my middle one still isn't and he is 28. The youngest one was 15 when he displayed behavior that I saw as responsible. Keep in mind all 3 boys were raised by the same parents. It is difficult to simply say an age. Other factors include: earning income to their potential (going to work when scheduled, not blowing days off to hang w/ pals) Accepting responsibility (fill their own tanks w/ gas) minding the house rules, polite behavior to each other, parents, friends etc. Even after all these are evaluated, the risk of error is still high. Dam* thats a difficult topic

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chris Myers, I would have absolutely no problem letting my daughter go on a trip for the first time……….......................<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />On her honeymoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />Anything else to totally unacceptable and intolerable.

cmyers_uk

Thanks Guys. I have agreed in principle with allowing her to go provided I am happy with all the parent helper ratios and some of her good friends are also going its only her school and most kids are nice. I like Boomyals suggestion of going as well, maybe Ill stop in the next village and make sure she has a mobile phone.<br /><br />Jim , your answer was great LOL the trouble is thats how I really feel. Keep saying to myself got to let her spread her wings.<br /><br />Oh the joys of parenting

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chris, 'Spreading her wings' is great.....but!!!<br /><br />Rushed wedding and granddaughter 7 months after the wedding is not :mad: great :mad: . This is true and will alway be part of daughter's, son-in-law's and my wife and my life. The wedding was on Feb. 14th and granddaughter's birth was Sept. 14th. My wife agreed to 'trip' to his uncle's and wife's home 200 miles away for the weekend. I wasn't even asked, just told they were going. That was the weekend before Christmas. You do the math.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

10 going on 11, <br />Trip out of the country,<br />.....<br />Over my D. B. unless I was one of the chaparones.<br /><br />This is with my own (10 going on 11) and friends in mind.<br /><br />Granted I do not know how many trips locally and out of state yours has had without parental supervision as primers to this big trip. Also,how well you know the chaparones. <br />Those factors might make a difference.

maninahat

Cadet

'French hate Americans much more than we hate them.'<br />There's a whole can of worms you're opening there - its not just the French!

Homerr

Commander

11 and out of the country? NO WAY!<br /><br />I don't even want to leave the country based on the current status Americans have with the rest of the planet.<br /><br />Unless of course... I can go with my trusty .45 !<br /><br />H.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Let's face it, experiencing the world is great.....when you are old enough to do it. I have two boys, 11 and 15. I have a-lot to teach them yet, and they have a-lot to learn about life in general, without thinking about other cultures and far away places. I hope every young adult gets the chance to travel and learn about the world, I just don't think 11 is the right age, unless mom and dad are there to make sure they are learning what is right for their age group.<br />Lets face it, these days it is hard enough to make sure our kids are safe and not getting into trouble when they are here at home with parents that would rather die, than see them hurt. It is just too much different for them to be in another country, watched over by other adults that "want" them to be safe.

cmyers_uk

<br />I don't even want to leave the country based on the current status Americans have with the rest of the planet.<br />
Homerr, holiday in middle east I can see your point but trust me in my experience the majority of Europe loves Americans the people (they may not agree with foreign policy), Ive just spent the weekend in London meeting citizens of the USA and they were all great and hopefully will return feeling they were treated great.<br /><br />Waterone1 / Kevin H / Jim,<br /><br />I think its either me as one of the parent helpers or I will take the family myself at the same time so at least she doesnt miss out.<br /><br />Thanks for all the opinions it is a difficult one

aspeck

Staff member

I would have to agree that 11 and going out of country would be a little too much, unless her mom and I were going as chaperones. There is a time to let them spread their wings, and that, as JB said, is a little at a time. Not a big trip all at once.<br /><br />Just my opinion, but I would be packing my bags to France, or the family would be taking a trip somewhere else, maybe with a couple of daughter's friends.