What a ride...

eeboater

Commander
Well, after a total of 26 hours of work, countless sore muscles, bruised knees and painful joints we are 95% complete with the Pergo installation in our kitchen, dining room, and half bath. <br /><br />This was without a doubt the biggest and most expensive project we’ve undertaken and to be honest it made me a bit nervous. It is easy to see problems if we do it wrong. Walls you can repaint but a floor is like skin, once it’s screwed up the blemishes are difficult to fix. I was particularly nervous about laying the Pergo over the linoleum in the kitchen. I didn’t want to have a gradient in height between the kitchen and the dining room; the angle would be noticeable and would burn in my mind until we sold the house. Luckily, when we removed the carpet from the dining room, we found out that the previous owner was smarter than we thought!! He screwed a piece of ¼ inch plywood onto the floor before he laid down the linoleum. Plus, he didn’t cover the wood in glue before sticking the linoleum on, he just put glue in a few crucial places. This was a godsend as it made the removal of the linoleum MUCH EASIER. But, we didn’t get off Scot-free. In order to prevent squeaking below the linoleum he spaced screws 3 inches apart across the plywood, then ground the tops down slightly and filled them with wood putty. Needless to say, the removal of those screws was painful. It turned a 20 minute job into a 3 hour job. But, the work was worth every minute because the floors are flat, solid, and squeak free.<br /><br />It turned out GREAT. Here is a link to the photos. http://photos.yahoo.com/eeboater there is a group called “Pergo Install 04/09/2005” click that group to view the photos. For some reason the “before” photos are at the bottom. So if you want to see what it looked like before we started check out those first. From what I can tell they are in sequential order from beginning to end barring the before pictures. I still have a little trim to install in the kitchen as well as some more quarter-round to install in the half bath and kitchen. We learned a LOT this weekend. So, even though it was a lot of work, it was fun in the long run.<br /><br />A big THANKS goes out to everyone who offered advice and help in my preparation for this project. The compound Miter saw worked perfect, and everyone was right --- that was the right saw to get vs. the table saw.<br /><br />Sean

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: What a ride...

Cool deal, Sean. Looks nice. We'll be doing ours in a few weeks. I'm in the process of patching a disaster in our ceiling. Then it's on to paint, and finally the floor. The cabinets, countertop and sink, and electrical are done. Hope mine comes out as nice as yours.<br /><br />Great job!

Link

Rear Admiral

Good deal Sean<br />Great Job. Now that you have a chance to pratice with your miter saw there is a lot that you can do with it! <br />Who is the ugly mug with that great looking woman and Kid? ;) <br />Link

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

A job well done!<br /><br />Good job of capturing the work in progress! Many of the walls in your house match that our my bedroom. Our wall color is cactus green. I'm glad you liked the compound miter (chop) saw.<br /><br />We removed the carpet and padding in our living room yesterday. We took pictures and will put them on our webpage soon.<br /><br />Here is how my project differs from yours (I believe).<br /><br />- I'm installing mine over a concrete slab.<br />- I'm using Armstrong. You used Pergo. (I think they are basically the same (Chevy vs Ford kind of thing)<br />- I'm going to leave the baseboards on and add 1/4 round molding to the baseboards.<br /> <br />Now for the questions:<br /><br />1) In your kitchen and bathroom, did you have to caulk the boards or anything to waterproof them?<br /><br />2) When you cut the laminate, did you cut it face-up or face-down?<br /><br />3) Did you have to maintain a 1/4" gap from all the walls to allow for expansion?<br /><br />4) I removed a 4' x 4' section of linoleum by the front door with no real hassle. I still have to remove the linoleum in my entire kitchen and dining room. Why did you install the laminate over the linoleum instead of first removing the linoleum?<br /><br />5) Did you use knee pads due to all the kneeling you did?<br /><br />Thanks for sharing your project results and any advice you have to offer.

eeboater

Commander

Thanks guys for all the positive feedback. I'm really pleased with how well it turned out. Link: RE: Ugly mug, I figure, keep a couple hot chicks around while you're working and the pain ain't as bad. Although you kinda get tired of sucking your gut in all the time... :D <br /><br />James:<br /><br />Boy oh boy, I can help you out with these. I had to learn a lot of that stuff the hard way, and do I mean hard. <br /><br />First, wear kneepads!!!!! That is the ONLY tool I didn't have when I did this project, and I am regretting it right now. <br /><br />Get a couple guys who you really trust that work hard to help you out. I had my brother and my old roomate helping me out. Their assistance was something I can't even put a price on right now.<br /><br />As far as the concrete slab is concerned. Make sure you put a moisture barrier down underneath your underlayment.<br /><br />The actual installation of the strips of Pergo was pretty simple, stick the left side of the piece together, slide it down so it is laying on the ground, then lift the piece up lengthwise to hook it in. It is a bit difficult getting it in lengthwise but after a while you will get the hang of it.<br /><br />Now for your questions:<br />- Did you have to maintain a 1/4" gap from all the walls to allow for expansion?<br /><br />Yes definitely. Everywhere I heard, everyone from professional Pergo installers to people who have done it in the past said to put that gap in there. I guess these laminates are about 90% wood or something like that. So it expands and contracts based on the humidity level. I didn't want anything buckling in the sumer when it got humid.<br /><br />I'm going to leave the baseboards on and add 1/4 round molding to the baseboards.<br /><br />I did the same exact thing. I was going to pull the baseboards off to get a "cleaner" look but decided against it. I'm glad I did. I think I actually like it better with the quarterround because it is a nice transitioning color from the floor the the baseboard since they are not identical colors.<br /><br />-In your kitchen and bathroom, did you have to caulk the boards or anything to waterproof them?<br /><br />I did. I bought some regular bathroom/kitchen clear silicone caulk and put a bead around all the places that might get wet. By the kitchen sink/dishwasher etc. and all the way around the half bath. That may have been overkill but I figure better safe than sorry.<br /><br />- I removed a 4' x 4' section of linoleum by the front door with no real hassle. I still have to remove the linoleum in my entire kitchen and dining room. Why did you install the laminate over the linoleum instead of first removing the linoleum?<br /><br />I don't know if you caught it in my post, but I did remove the linoleum in the kitchen. Luckily, the previous owner of my house was pretty smart. He did not attach the linoleum directly to the subfloor. He laid down a 1/4 inch thick piece of plywood on the floor, screwed it down, and laid the linoleum on top. The only PITA that I ran across is that he spaced the screws about 3 inches apart evenly across the floor. About 60-100 screws. The yellow "linoleum-like" surface you are seeing in the pictures is a "tile" (i think thats an appropriate description) which I can only assume is original to the house. The tile reminded me of the kind of floor you would see in the chemistry room of a high school. Super-hard and stuck like mad. I didn't even think about removing it because it was stuck so well there is no way I would have a smooth surface after removeing it. I know I would be better off replacing the subfloor before removing that tile.<br /><br />I did leave the linoleum in the half bath. That was glued solid with the hardwood floor beneath it. The linoleum in the bathroom was so thin that when the Pergo transitioned between the two rooms, it you can't even tell there were two different surfaces beneath it. Long story short, that as well would not have been worth the trouble to remove it.<br /><br />- Did you have to maintain a 1/4" gap from all the walls to allow for expansion?<br /><br />There was great debate on the right way to do that so i just tried both ways myself. With a nice sharp blade I cut with the "wood grain" towards the blade. So, with the miter saw I had the pergo facing up. But I'm guessing if you are using a table saw, I would cut it with the top facing down. When you cut in the opposite direction it chips a bit more.<br /><br />Oh, and related to that, I was skeptical at the comments that Pergo eats saw blades. That was no B.S. By the end of the day on Saturday when I was finished with the flooring I tried to trim some moulding pieces for around the door. When I pushed the blade down, whew did it SMOKE. The blade couldn't cut a piece of paper. Obviously an exaggeration but you get the idea. So, since you're doing more sq footage than me, have a spare blade available for each saw.<br /><br />-Did you use knee pads due to all the kneeling you did?<br /><br />As I said... I didn't but YES YES YES YES YES YES YES GET THEM!! My body HURTS!!<br /><br />Good luck!! And post pictures!!! I'm very happy with how it turned out and even happier that I did it myself without screwing it up!!<br /><br /><br />Let me know if you have any other questions.<br /><br />Sean