What a morning at the bird feeder

one more cast

Captain
We useally don't have much color at our feeders other then Blue Jays,Purple Finches and Gold finches along with the Chickidee's,Sparrows,Cowbirds and such but this morning I looked out and seen Gold <br />finches,5 Rose Breasted Grosbeaks,and 4 Baltimore Orioles all at the same time.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: What a morning at the bird feeder

I live near Baltimore & have only seen one oriole in my life. <br />Most people around here have never seen one.<br />Although the the baseball playing variety have been doing well of late.

gaugeguy

Captain

I saw my first Baltimore Oriole yesterday as well, as orange as, well an orange ;) <br /><br />I think there must be a nest nearby cause it's been singing constantly for the past two days close to the house.<br /><br />F&G has warned everyone to take down their feeders cause the bears are out and about. I leave mine up year round just to check out the different critters that come visit.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hungry birds!<br /> <br />I just put a new one in my yard last night.<br /><br />Bob

one more cast

Captain

My wife has never seen and oriole before today. Funny thing is, just a few days ago she said how she wished we would get some around. This morning after seeing them she says to me " Isn't it amazing how God listens to us?" Hopefully the pictures will come out............................<br /> Here is one of our feeders at night.
coon.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have to admit that the bird feeder was put in for two reasons:<br /><br />First was to bring the birds in and enjoy them. :) <br /><br />Second (oh I am going to get flak over this one) was to torment my "inside only" cat who chatters when he sees birds. :eek: <br /><br />Kind of a Dual Amusemnet Device! :D

KaGee

Admiral

Bob,<br /><br />You aint right! :p :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

wow.. this is ironic. I was going to post a similar thread today.<br /><br />took this pic last night under one group of feeders.. I darkened it a touch to set him off a little more..<br />
52aozl
<br /><br />and this one @ 15 minutes ago out an east window through the screen.. Drake and Suzie loafin' in my wildflowers..<br />
52apo5
<br /><br />get some Oranges (cut in half) out there for the Orioles OMC .. they love 'em up here and you might be able to get them to stick around a bit longer with 'em out there.. just a thought.<br /><br />and YES the birds have been hungry this year!!<br /><br />one thing on the Cowbirds.. they're parasite parents.. lay their eggs in others nests then take off. once the chicks hatch they grow more rapidly then the other species and either over power the resident chicks and kill them or shove 'em out of the nest.. <br /><br />I don't like 'em...<br /><br />..you know what I'm gettin' at.. ;) :D <br /><br />btw - female cowbirds are the muted grey/tan collored ones...

one more cast

Captain

Thanks for the tip Barlow,and we also have a pair of Mallards....Mr and Mrs Gway-um quacker.

sangerwaker

Commander

Bob, you're not the only one who does that! We have a feeder right outside our front window specifically to torment the cats, too!<br /><br />Cool pics OMC and Barlow!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nice, Barlow. Indigo bunting?<br /><br />Only feed the hummers in the Spring/Summer but everybody in the winter. <br /><br />Really enjoy the hummers. Boss hummer is a black chinned. He sounds like a P-51 recorded at 33rpm and played back at 78rpm. I do get the occasional ruby throat, which are bigger and take no mind of him, which drives him into a frenzy. Then he seems more like an Apache gunship. :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

" Mr and Mrs Gway-um quacker " :D I like it OMC..<br /><br />-forgot to mention that you might want to pin the orange halves down with a nail through the center of 'em so they don't get carried off or flipped over.. no biggie but, I've found if the fruit is exposed they're more interested..(lazy lil' buggers)<br /><br />
Originally posted by JB:<br /> Nice, Barlow. Indigo bunting?<br /><br />
yea.. thats what I'm assuming JB.. about the size of an English Sparrow. He's been hoppin' around for the last couple days here.. cool little guy but, I haven't seen a female around that I could match to him.<br /><br />Those hummers must be a trip to watch! There is always that one "BOSS" of the feeder :D <br />They freak me out on occasion.. do a fly-by at mach-III a couple feet from my head :eek: <br />I haven't seen any up here yet.. probably a bit too chilly for those lil' rascals yet.

NYMINUTE

Captain

My dog's tree the cat routinly, and the cat still can't nail a bird. I'm getting a feeder. This will be entertaining.

one more cast

Captain

Barlow, The female indigo bunting looks like a sparrow without stripes, kind of a solid tan color.

D

DJ

Does anyone know how to keep Finches off of a Hummingbird feeder?<br /><br />The little pigs will drain the thing in one day. :mad:

Drowned Rat

Captain

If your feeder has a perch, cut it off so the finches don't have anywhere to stand. They still fly up to it, but can't hold on long enough to get much. :)

Drowned Rat

Captain

Here's a picture of a Mom Kestrel. She's sitting on a nest in a box in my backyard. She's quite brave not to flush even when I take the roof off the birdhouse.<br /> <br /> Mom Kestrel<br /><br />Here are the chicks, 2 weeks later.<br /><br /> Kestrel Babies

D

DJ

Drowned Rat,<br /><br />I did not think of that-doh! Excellent point.<br /><br />See, we can agree on something.<br /><br />Thanks, so much, for the tip. :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by One More Cast:<br /> Barlow, The female indigo bunting looks like a sparrow without stripes, kind of a solid tan color.
thanx OMC that'll help me out a little .. I'm having a heck of a time finding my Audubon guide book here.. its driving me nuts! :cool: