wet transom remove outboard engine

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Re: wet transom

I agree with everyone else that says you need to replace the transom, deck, stringers and foam... or get a whole new hull.

If I were you I would do the work, but I'm a little crazy like that... there's just nothing like knowing for a fact that it was all done right. Not to mention the pride you'll have in knowing that you did it yourself.

I'm deep in the middle of doing just that, except that my stringers arn't made with any wood, and there was no foam originally, though I will be adding foam.

joseph L

Seaman

How do you determine how far the wood in the transom goes frome end to end.With out drilling holes.ANY OTHER WAY TO FIND OUT

D

DJ

Joseph,

Look inside. Start at the drain plug and look up. You may see an area that is thicker than the area where the plug is. That's the end.

joseph L

Seaman

I hope stringers are not rotted. When I remove the rotted wood in transom will I know if the stringer ends are rotted at that point? Looked at stringers from bilge and didn't notice any cracks in fiberglass or screwholes. So, I guess water will not get in from that area. Would it come in from the saturated transom? If they are rotted at that point what is the best way to remove rotted wood at ends without cutting stringers open because it is hard to get to? I am trying to dry the wet foam out but I heard they said it is hard to do. When I replace foam where do I purchase new foam? The foam is not near the stringers, I guess that's a good plus, because people say if the foam is wet the stringers are rotted. Is this true?

Also, DJ I found out where the plywood ends and now it will make it much easier to do the project. The plywood ends about 6 inches past the drainholes which is easier to do.

P.S. Thanks for all the info and appreciate any additonal input.

Joseph L.

D

DJ

Joseph,

The stringers COULD be affected by the transom if the have a common knee joint.

The best way to test stringers is to take a core sample. You'll have to drill some small holes and look at the wood. The holes can easily be sealed.

Foam can be obtained in many places but let's not get ahead of ourselves. You have a lot of exploration and drying to do first.

First, find out the extent of your water intrusion. Once known, a plan of attack can be formulated.

This may not be as bad as it appears, at this moment.

Drill some small holes at the bottom of the transom wood and let it drain. If the wood is solid, you may be able to save it. The same holds true for the stringers. Before you drill holes, just remember that water is always going to seek the lowest point.

As for the foam, dig out what appears to be waterlogged and rotten. That can easily be replaced.

Keep us posted.

joseph L

Seaman
Re: wet transom it is rotted

Re: wet transom it is rotted

Drilled holes down by the bottom of transom no water came out. The wood came out black and soft like sawdust, so it is rotted. Going to cut all the wood out and use seacast and at that point I will check the stringers. Hope to start it soon.

joseph L

Seaman
Re How to pull outboard off boat

Re How to pull outboard off boat

I am not sure what bolts to use to connect hoist chain to engine. Any suggestions? I do not want to use headbolts.

joseph L

Seaman
Re: Re How to pull outboard off boat

thunk you all

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: wet transom remove outboard engine

I am just guessing here. But I would consider using manifold bolts.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am not sure what bolts to use to connect hoist chain to engine. Any suggestions? I do not want to use headbolts.
If you have a merc dealer close by, see if the will rent/loan you a puller. It screws into the top of the engine.

joseph L

Seaman
Re: wet transom seacast question ?

Re: wet transom seacast question ?

Heard alot a good things about seacst. But when I talk to repair shops about repairing the transom they recommend to put plywood back for the repair and they dont use seacast. Does anyone know why ?